The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How often do you see cars run out of fuel? Hardly ever.. how on earth can you run out of charge .. why would you let it get that low?

They warn you constantly once you get to a certain range so this person ignored it

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
D

Deleted member 15344

There will always be user errors

Some will always forget to put enough petrol in , some will not charge the batteries enough - it happens regardless of the vehicle

The issue for me is - if a car runs out of petrol and is blocking something , out people get and push it to the side and wait for help - hold up will be around 5 mins

The Tesla - runs out of battery , anchor is dropped , cannot push it out of the way and it just sits there like a imovable rock - hold up will continue until someone puts some charge in or it’s lifted up and moved - that’s utterly daft and I hope it’s just limited to the Tesla

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There will always be user errors

Some will always forget to put enough petrol in , some will not charge the batteries enough - it happens regardless of the vehicle

The issue for me is - if a car runs out of petrol and is blocking something , out people get and push it to the side and wait for help - hold up will be around 5 mins

The Tesla - runs out of battery , anchor is dropped , cannot push it out of the way and it just sits there like a imovable rock - hold up will continue until someone puts some charge in or it’s lifted up and moved - that’s utterly daft and I hope it’s just limited to the Tesla
A car on four wheels that can’t be pushed out of the way in an emergency is just plain dangerous and a massive design flaw.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A car on four wheels that can’t be pushed out of the way in an emergency is just plain dangerous and a massive design flaw.

It's not so much a flaw as just a byproduct of design

Whenever the engine isn't running the car has regen braking to use little energy and capture energy loss

This engages automatically and means that if you try and push you can't because you don't have the force to move the car

Some ev you can push a bit but no power steering

However what should be focused on is that fact the driver has ignored so many warnings

You get a warning and enabling of turtle model when you get low..it says charge now and directs you to charge points

If you ignore that and carry on not to a charge point your irresponsible

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not so much a flaw as just a byproduct of design

Whenever the engine isn't running the car has regen braking to use little energy and capture energy loss

This engages automatically and means that if you try and push you can't because you don't have the force to move the car

Some ev you can push a bit but no power steering

However what should be focused on is that fact the driver has ignored so many warnings

You get a warning and enabling of turtle model when you get low..it says charge now and directs you to charge points

If you ignore that and carry on not to a charge point your irresponsible
Of course it’s a flaw

If your car breaks down because of no battery and it can’t be pushed away and potentially cause a significant amount of delay to multiple amount of other road users then it’s a flaw

On this occasion the reason why it was a 3 hour delay is because it was an electric car - If that was a non electric then the delay would have been 5/10 mins , the time it would take to push the car out of the way

It’s ok to say that on this type of occurrence the EV is poor choice

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course it’s a flaw

If your car breaks down because of no battery and it can’t be pushed away and potentially cause a significant amount of delay to multiple amount of other road users then it’s a flaw

On this occasion the reason why it was a 3 hour delay is because it was an electric car - If that was a non electric then the delay would have been 5/10 mins , the time it would take to push the car out of the way

It’s ok to say that on this type of occurrence the EV is poor choice

Other electric cars which can be pushed out of the way are available

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The real question is why is Westfield's (both of them in London) welcome to so many cars. It has excellent rail connections and driving their is a nightmare (even with a telsa broken down) if we really want to go green people should be encouraged to get public transport their

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This thread still going round & round??
I’ve got one coming. I don’t want to kill the planet but the real motivation is the 1% BIK. Thank you very much.

I reckon it will save me approx £350 per month. I’m a convert ??

If that's what it takes to get people to convert then it's a good thing

Whatever the reason if the right choice is made then it doesn't matter

D

Deleted member 15344

The car also has a standard 12v battery just like all cars so yes, you can put it in neutral.

Cause maybe he couldn’t and the 12v battery was also dead unless you think he just sat their for 3 hours and tried nothing ?

It’s clearly an issue , and one that didn’t just affect one person , it’s fine to say “yep it’s not good” - instead of scrambling around looking for excuses and pointing the finger elsewhere.