The all things EV chat thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes will be short term but you need ADR training to drive a tanker so positions are not so easily filled as most drivers don't have the certificates.
Completly. I bet there are plenty of drivers working for the smaller oil companies who deliver to domestics, industrial, farming etc who are on the phone right now though. I worked for such a company many years ago and they always looked at the single drop tanker guys with envy. I know you can't go from delivering pallets of garden furniture to fuel, but I didn't want to get too wordy in what I put. It's very fair to point that out though (y)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That wont be for long. Fuel delivery drivers, to big stations, are well paid, not long distance, do single drops. It is easy street in that game. If there is a genuine shortage then it will be quickly filled by other drivers. The media are creating a problem in this instance, how unlike them. The BP issue is temporary and short term, others are not affected.

Just wait

Penny at the pumps which this will cause plus the gas prices will smash inflation

All contracts linked to cpi etc are going to be hammered with rises .. people are going to struggle

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So these new energy’s prices ( mine has gone from £60 a month to £110 ?) - wonder what that means for the cost effectiveness of electric cars
Let’s be honest here the end game was to get all the public to electric thinking they can charge their new eco cars at off peak and save a fortune. But the big electric suppliers saw how much we pay for fuel and they saw profit that was huge as the off peak will disappear.
Couple this with organisations demanding employee attendance when actually it’s not required … mr small is getting a right good rogering.
Government needs to kill profit margins on the service providers and ask for dedicated accounts for total expenditure plus maintenance programs and their completion etc .. or put it simply make everyone work for their money and not a select few, as they cannot support those that won’t or have not contributed enough.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let’s be honest here the end game was to get all the public to electric thinking they can charge their new eco cars at off peak and save a fortune. But the big electric suppliers saw how much we pay for fuel and they saw profit that was huge as the off peak will disappear.
Couple this with organisations demanding employee attendance when actually it’s not required … mr small is getting a right good rogering.
Government needs to kill profit margins on the service providers and ask for dedicated accounts for total expenditure plus maintenance programs and their completion etc .. or put it simply make everyone work for their money and not a select few, as they cannot support those that won’t or have not contributed enough.

Plus even if the price of electric goes up it's still a lot cheaper

£10 per 200 miles more would 20p per kw more than now be

With fuel only going one way aswell

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
If I didn’t have an electric car, today I would be saying “I wish had an electric car”.
Forecourts are chocka on the way home and typical herd mentality is everyone queue.
If I had a petrol I’d be going to fill up at night instead.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I didn’t have an electric car, today I would be saying “I wish had an electric car”.
Forecourts are chocka on the way home and typical herd mentality is everyone queue.

Round our way mates wife just called him saying all the forecourts sold out

Crying out loud

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was thinking that last night , had my eye on an ID3 as that might satisfy the wife and just up the size of the current car.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The irony of they queue for half hour for something that takes "5 mins" and is one of the main advantages over electric

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was planning on changing my car next year however with the wait list for new cars being so long (Mar/Apr 2022 being amongst the earliest) I have decided to start the process now.

I am likely to go all electric as we do fairly low mileage with the 'big car' and it's really only the annual trip to Cornwall that would take any sort of planning, the rest of the drives would easily be covered by a full charge.

This weekend we are off to test drive;

Hyundai Ioniq 5
Skoda Enyaq
VW ID.4
Audi Q4 e-tron

The Hyundai is my favourite at the moment although haven't sat in any of them yet, will see what the weekend brings.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was planning on changing my car next year however with the wait list for new cars being so long (Mar/Apr 2022 being amongst the earliest) I have decided to start the process now.

I am likely to go all electric as we do fairly low mileage with the 'big car' and it's really only the annual trip to Cornwall that would take any sort of planning, the rest of the drives would easily be covered by a full charge.

This weekend we are off to test drive;

Hyundai Ioniq 5
Skoda Enyaq
VW ID.4
Audi Q4 e-tron

The Hyundai is my favourite at the moment although haven't sat in any of them yet, will see what the weekend brings.

skoda for me

if you could push it the telsa model y coming next year