The all things EV chat thread

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw this earlier in the week and saw we were firing up a mothballed coal fired power station. That’s disappointing. We need to build nuclear power stations and pronto. And not rely on the Chinese or the French to do it for us.
So we need to admit and accept we don't have the capability to support the current stated aim of EV only new sales in just over 8 years. It takes longer than that to go throught the planning stages for a new power station, let alone actually having a finished article.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I saw this earlier in the week and saw we were firing up a mothballed coal fired power station. That’s disappointing. We need to build nuclear power stations and pronto. And not rely on the Chinese or the French to do it for us.
We certainly need to find a way to switch off power stations that burn fossil fuels, but I think nuclear isn't the way forward (unless a breakthrough is made with fusion). The problem of decommissioning fission reactors is something we really could do without.

If you were to commission a new nuclear power station today, by the time it was built we'll probably have solved the storage problem that is the major issue surrounding renewables like wind and solar.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So we need to admit and accept we don't have the capability to support the current stated aim of EV only new sales in just over 8 years. It takes longer than that to go throught the planning stages for a new power station, let alone actually having a finished article.

Hinkley Point C was granted its licence in 2012. It is supposed to start producing electricity in 2026, £500m over budget.

I'd rather see a gradual increase in renewable energy which will match the gradual increase of EVs, especially as the cost of sustainable, clean, renewable energy is still falling.
And of course, 2030 is just when the ban on selling new ICE cars comes into affect (2035 for some hybrids) and judging by the resistance of some on here, there will be many who will keep their ICE cars well into 2040.

''Impact of EVs on the electricity network infrastructure

While much has been made of the impact that the increase in EV numbers will have on the grid, the reality is far less exciting. The grid has more than enough capacity at present to accommodate the expected increase in demand; and to a certain extent, technologies can be deployed to help moderate the peaks. In addition, a much heavier demand on the grid will come from the electrification of heat, over the same period, which will require up to three times as much capacity as EV charging.''

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pag...-infrastructure-update-show-me-the-money.html

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

No, this issue is caused by a fire that has closed the vital link in power supply from France to England

We need to build our own network whilst still using the supply from France until a time we can use that cable Just as a back up

A fire that shuts down a cable until march is a rare situation .. without the fire we would be fine ?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rolls Royce has been proposing a new style of small nuclear power plants that are much cheaper - circa £1bn each I think. It is home grown proven technology. The government needs to stop procrastinating and back this now and get 20 or 30 built across the country rather than relying on French and Chinese tech. Also back the Swansea and Cardiff Bay wave power projects. No issue with no wind here and we could be global leaders. We have a massive advantage with our coast line and the large tidals

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The issue with inconsistency, isn't than an issue with storage?
Solar only during teh day, usage (domestic) mostly during the evening.

I think you a house you might need 2 Tesla storage walls or equivalent? That's a chunk of money. Or you store centrally somewhere/somehow.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are.
“The UK is the world leader in offshore wind, with the largest installed capacity and projects like Hornsea Two are helping the country to make significant strides towards the government’s legally binding net zero targets.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/ports-logistics/1000-offshore-wind-turbines-now-20881169

We have done a great job with wind but it is still not the most reliable. I was referring to doing the same with small nuclear plants and tidal power.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are.
“The UK is the world leader in offshore wind, with the largest installed capacity and projects like Hornsea Two are helping the country to make significant strides towards the government’s legally binding net zero targets.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/ports-logistics/1000-offshore-wind-turbines-now-20881169
If thats the case, why is a reduction in wind turbine output due to recent lower wind speeds and strength also being blamed for the lecy crisis that going on right now?
Thats according to the boss of Ecotricity when talking about it on the radio

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The UK and Netherlands seem to be the two countries that are forging ahead of others in terms of offshore wind energy, with Germany playing catch up and other European countries lagging well behind. The UK has the EA Hub off the coast of Suffolk as well as the Vattenfall Boreas and Vanguard wind farms going in off the Norfolk coast, in addition to the Hornsea projects and all the existing sites such as Sheringham Shoal, Greater Gabbard, London Array and Dogger Bank. The Netherlands have the Holland Kust Zuid wind farm which is under construction and due to come online in 2023, which will become the world's biggest offshore wind farm when it comes online, as well as HK Nord and HK West which have been surveyed ready for construction to start.

If they can resolve the issue of energy storage from these wind farms for the days when there is either not enough or too much wind then our energy needs should be sorted for many years to come, or at least for long enough to see me through to retirement.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just moved away from Agile, the prices have been a bit crazy lately, many hours at 35p kw/h. When we joined it was really cheap especially at the March lockdown time but has got increasingly expensive since then, we were paying more than a standard tariff at the end. Moved to Go Faster which will be less stressful as it hardly ever goes under 5p lately and it's just a normal price at other times. You have to take the good with the bad with Agile, there was several times we were paid to charge the car, sometimes paying us over 25p kw/h.

Cheers for tip on go faster

Turns out cuz of that I'm locked price wise until Feb so I can use the heat pumps instead the gas

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Glad I'm not on Agile just now, wouldn't even be able to make a cup of tea, it's around 35p for the whole day even 00:30 - 05:00.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gas at over 6p/kwh at wholesale price as well, could be a tough winter for everyone especially the elderly and vulnerable.

D

Deleted member 15344

So these new energy’s prices ( mine has gone from £60 a month to £110 ?) - wonder what that means for the cost effectiveness of electric cars

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well it wasn't long before the hgv shortage affected petrol supplies

Won't just be electric on the rise

We all going to need 20% payrises
That wont be for long. Fuel delivery drivers, to big stations, are well paid, not long distance, do single drops. It is easy street in that game. If there is a genuine shortage then it will be quickly filled by other drivers. The media are creating a problem in this instance, how unlike them. The BP issue is temporary and short term, others are not affected.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes will be short term but you need ADR training to drive a tanker so positions are not so easily filled as most drivers don't have the certificates.