The all things EV chat thread

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Still loving our corsa EV after nearly 5 months. The reality of owning one and doing relatively big mileage is nowhere near as bad as expected, although it can be frustrating.

The single biggest issue is the variation in charging infrastructure. If you stick to the bigger networks, it tends to be fine though.

We did Manchester to Somerset, with plenty of driving whilst there and the charging worry was a non issue.

I would never buy a combustion engined car again as the level of refinement in even the most basic EVs is so much better. Our other car always felt nice to drive but getting in it after driving the EV it just feels so agricultural.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still loving our corsa EV after nearly 5 months. The reality of owning one and doing relatively big mileage is nowhere near as bad as expected, although it can be frustrating.

The single biggest issue is the variation in charging infrastructure. If you stick to the bigger networks, it tends to be fine though.

We did Manchester to Somerset, with plenty of driving whilst there and the charging worry was a non issue.

I would never buy a combustion engined car again as the level of refinement in even the most basic EVs is so much better. Our other car always felt nice to drive but getting in it after driving the EV it just feels so agricultural.

Yeah loving my Corsa e aswell. We use it for every trip that we can, ie just the two of us going out or taking eldest out

But unfortunately we have to take the juggernaut when it's the 5 of us

Few more years I want to look at bigger EVs to try and help that issue

Like you say lovely to drive and well refined

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah loving my Corsa e aswell. We use it for every trip that we can, ie just the two of us going out or taking eldest out

But unfortunately we have to take the juggernaut when it's the 5 of us

Few more years I want to look at bigger EVs to try and help that issue

Like you say lovely to drive and well refined

What exactly do you mean by well refined? What exactly is it that's been refined over the "standard" Corsa?

I have been driving my mate's Tesla this week (he's got my M340) and having just signed up for the i4 when it's released next year, I am a bit concerned about how sterile driving the Tesla is. It feels like there is no connection to the drive at all. Yes it accelerates quickly but everything else just feels... boring and overly functional. I'm now in two minds about the i4.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I had a tentative look yesterday at electric cars. Flippin eck how much. I looked at an Hyundai not knowing the price. Starts at 40K.?

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What exactly do you mean by well refined? What exactly is it that's been refined over the "standard" Corsa?

I have been driving my mate's Tesla this week (he's got my M340) and having just signed up for the i4 when it's released next year, I am a bit concerned about how sterile driving the Tesla is. It feels like there is no connection to the drive at all. Yes it accelerates quickly but everything else just feels... boring and overly functional. I'm now in two minds about the i4.

For me, the biggest differences are in power delivery and engine noise.

Premium car manufacturers spent tons of money trying to stop unwanted engine noise and vibrations getting into the cabin. In our corsa, you get to sit in complete silence, without any vibration as standard.

The power delivery is also much smoother and linear than even the best automatic ICE engined cars. The 8 speed auto in my brother's BMW is arguably one of the smoothest gearboxes there is, yet its still not as refined as EV motors.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
For me EV cars are nowhere near cost effective as yet.

My current car cost me £140 pm from new, the road tax is £0 and roughly put in around £50 of diesel pm. I dont think i can find a EV car that

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me, the biggest differences are in power delivery and engine noise.

Premium car manufacturers spent tons of money trying to stop unwanted engine noise and vibrations getting into the cabin. In our corsa, you get to sit in complete silence, without any vibration as standard.

The power delivery is also much smoother and linear than even the best automatic ICE engined cars. The 8 speed auto in my brother's BMW is arguably one of the smoothest gearboxes there is, yet its still not as refined as EV motors.

Part in bold is what makes me feel so disconnected from the Tesla. I want a bit of engine noise, when I accelerate I want to hear the engine respond as well as feel the surge of acceleration. Part of the complete driving experience for me. I know you can get fake engine noise, but it's exactly that, fake.

Power delivery is linear because it's, well, linear. Direct drive motors rather than geared so of course they will be smoother.

I suppose it depends on the car itself as to how it's designed for noise. My car is designed to dampen road noise whilst still allowing the engine/exhaust noise to filter through giving that driver/car/drive connection.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me EV cars are nowhere near cost effective as yet.

My current car cost me £140 pm from new, the road tax is £0 and roughly put in around £50 of diesel pm. I dont think i can find a EV car that

The only people saving money buying EVs are company car drivers who save massively on BIK tax.

I've worked out that based on our usage of around 15000miles a year, with roughly 13000 miles being charged at home, the cost to me over 5 years is about the same as the petrol equivalent.

I'd never buy an EV to save money, its just a bonus that the running costs happen to be significantly lower than a petrol car.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Part in bold is what makes me feel so disconnected from the Tesla. I want a bit of engine noise, when I accelerate I want to hear the engine respond as well as feel the surge of acceleration. Part of the complete driving experience for me. I know you can get fake engine noise, but it's exactly that, fake.

Power delivery is linear because it's, well, linear. Direct drive motors rather than geared so of course they will be smoother.

I suppose it depends on the car itself as to how it's designed for noise. My car is designed to dampen road noise whilst still allowing the engine/exhaust noise to filter through giving that driver/car/drive connection.

Oh I agree. EVs clearly don't provide the same driving experience if you like a spirited drive. Give me a decent manual petrol any day.

EVs are a very refined tool for getting you from A to B, as quietly and simply as possible. They are also great for getting away from lights at junctions and getting good parking spots in city centres.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh I agree. EVs clearly don't provide the same driving experience if you like a spirited drive. Give me a decent manual petrol any day.

EVs are a very refined tool for getting you from A to B, as quietly and simply as possible. They are also great for getting away from lights at junctions and getting good parking spots in city centres.

This, to me at the moment, is the plus. My current car is 0-62 in 4.4 sec so isn't a slouch away from junctions or lights (in fact the Tesla isn't that much quicker TBH - unless set in "Insane Mode" but then the range takes a massive hit).

I'm hoping that Hans Zimmer has done a good job on the i4's "sound track" and it doesn't sound too fake as it may well put me off.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The only people saving money buying EVs are company car drivers who save massively on BIK tax.

I've worked out that based on our usage of around 15000miles a year, with roughly 13000 miles being charged at home, the cost to me over 5 years is about the same as the petrol equivalent.

I'd never buy an EV to save money, it's just a bonus that the running costs happen to be significantly lower than a petrol car.
The BIK was the USP when it came to getting my Superb hybrid. It was saving me a few thousand a year so was an absolute no-brainer.
I'd agree on the refinement, as it you can tell the difference in the quietness inside the car when on electric. Not that the petrol engine is noisy, but there is a difference.
And the pickup from start is also very good on electric. If you push hard or put it into sport mode then it combines both powertrains and it can really shift.
You do have to remember that at slow speeds when it is just on electric, it is very quiet and pedestrians and cyclists don't always know you're there.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Smooth driving experience, grips the road well with the weight of it

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What one was you looking at?

I think I was the autocar top 10 electric cars. Because I have not got a clue, I thought well I have to start somewhere. Looked at an Hyundai that looked quite nice. £41k plus later I thought I will give it a miss.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just been informed by BMW that anticipated delivery of the i4 M50 is now more likely to be September to December 2022 (that's quite a range). So slipped from June to July and now Sept/Dec...

In the meantime, I have just ordered an orange 840i Gran Coupe to have some fun between now and then :D