The all things EV chat thread

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
40 minutes to fuel a car is of course a long time. However, these are only on rare occasions when 300 miles isn't enough. So for eg I drove to Cornwall from Lichfield and on the way back popped in for a 100 charge to get me home. It took 20 minutes and was at a mcdonald's.
Whilst I wait I just think how I'm saving £250 a month on my fuel bill. All of a sudden 20 minutes whilst golloping down a big mac isn't so bad ?

Or the lesser known part of the whole planned trips that far... You save a fortune .. rent a car for that one trip a year!

Nissan used to give you 3 free rentals a year

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seen a prog on TV last night “worlds fastest Electric Car “and it said it can take up to a week to put out a fire in an EV.
The older batteries just keep on bubbling and reigniting .
More modern ones are better, but plenty of older ones still out there.
In Germany any Ev that goes on fire is put in a special skip full of water for a week.
That’s a bit scary.
When you put out a Car fire you have to send control something called a "stop message". This is simply to say the incident is closed. With ev's we can't put a stop message in until the garage have told us they have a) put the car in a skip of water or b) put the car in a large open space. I've personally attended 3 recognitions this year.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you put out a Car fire you have to send control something called a "stop message". This is simply to say the incident is closed. With ev's we can't put a stop message in until the garage have told us they have a) put the car in a skip of water or b) put the car in a large open space. I've personally attended 3 recognitions this year.
They don’t tell you that in the adverts.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
40 minutes to fuel a car is of course a long time. However, these are only on rare occasions when 300 miles isn't enough. So for eg I drove to Cornwall from Lichfield and on the way back popped in for a 100 charge to get me home. It took 20 minutes and was at a mcdonald's.
Whilst I wait I just think how I'm saving £250 a month on my fuel bill. All of a sudden 20 minutes whilst golloping down a big mac isn't so bad ?
If you like a Big Mac! :sick:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It shouldn't bother you as an owner. ev or not the vehicle is taken away and is no longer your problem. The scrap yard on the other hand ?
Not if it’s parked outside your house in the first instance.
As it’s on a cable not that long.
Programme showed cars just bursting into flames as they were getting charged..
Have you seen any houses set alight by an EV ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not if it’s parked outside your house in the first instance.
As it’s on a cable not that long.
Programme showed cars just bursting into flames as they were getting charged..
Have you seen any houses set alight by an EV ?
No. I've not been to a accidental fire involving an ev yet. They've all been malicious.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
No. I've not been to a accidental fire involving an ev yet. They've all been malicious.

If you attend an RTA involving an ev is there any specific protocols that you have to follow? Last night’s program seemed to show the last thing you wanted to do was douse it in water. The amount of toxic gasses being belched out was frightening.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting to see in London a good number of black cabs being electric. My abiding memory of London is black cabs with tractor engines, not literally, belching out black smoke ?. A big improvement ?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Interesting to see in London a good number of black cabs being electric. My abiding memory of London is black cabs with tractor engines, not literally, belching out black smoke ?. A big improvement ?

Yep my mate has one. Cost him £50k, then Covid came along and work dried up. He’s driving a skip lorry at the moment waiting for it to pick up again.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do if you mean the electric ones with a 1 ltr Nissan Micra engine in it to help recharge?
I haven't yet come across a cabby that likes them....especially the price of them.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had a couple of test drives yesterday, Yaris and Corolla. Both drove beautifully, great pick-up from a standing and rolling start. Kicking out around 120bhp in a small car they both flew. The boot took the cases we’d taken with us, although the seat would have to be dropped for the clubs.

The order is in, and the car is in stock. €5.5k discount certainly helped close the deal.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep my mate has one. Cost him £50k, then Covid came along and work dried up. He’s driving a skip lorry at the moment waiting for it to pick up again.
Ouch, although that could have happened at replacement time anyway.

Do if you mean the electric ones with a 1 ltr Nissan Micra engine in it to help recharge?
I haven't yet come across a cabby that likes them....especially the price of them.
I can understand that. Nice not to be chewing on fumes though. Black cabs were particularly polluting.

The solution is to mirror what happens in somewhere like Germany. Have any car model you like but have it in a distinctive colour, the Germans use cream. Restricting to one style automatically inflates the cost of the vehicle. I appreciate this is probably heresy to cab drivers but it's time to move on. (This could be phased in over time, it's hypothetical anyway)

Edit, a 1 ltr engine suggests petrol. Are they hybrids then rather than full electric? I can't see an exhaust pipe on them.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ouch, although that could have happened at replacement time anyway.

I can understand that. Nice not to be chewing on fumes though. Black cabs were particularly polluting.

The solution is to mirror what happens in somewhere like Germany. Have any car model you like but have it in a distinctive colour, the Germans use cream. Restricting to one style automatically inflates the cost of the vehicle. I appreciate this is probably heresy to cab drivers but it's time to move on. (This could be phased in over time, it's hypothetical anyway)

Edit, a 1 ltr engine suggests petrol. Are they hybrids then rather than full electric? I can't see an exhaust pipe on them.
The 1ltr petrol engine is just acting as a generator.
The London black cab is strictly controlled, and has a series of mandatory requirements to be able to be passed For use. 1 requirement is a turning circle of 11 feet or something, which is why the Merc Vito conversions had rear wheel steer as well to allow the tight turning circle.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you attend an RTA involving an ev is there any specific protocols that you have to follow? Last night’s program seemed to show the last thing you wanted to do was douse it in water. The amount of toxic gasses being belched out was frightening.
Yes. Before we start cutting we have to cut an isolation loop with a Stanley blade. Most are under the back seat and under the bonnet. As for catching fire during following a rtc, we haven't got any specific guidance for that. However, in 15 years I've yet to see a car catch fire significantly following a RTC. Breathing apparatus is standard for all car fires anyway

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 1ltr petrol engine is just acting as a generator.
The London black cab is strictly controlled, and has a series of mandatory requirements to be able to be passed For use. 1 requirement is a turning circle of 11 feet or something, which is why the Merc Vito conversions had rear wheel steer as well to allow the tight turning circle.
It's one of those though, just because it's how it was and is doesn't mean it is how it should or could be. It's iconic for London but you don't see them elsewhere. There's a reason for that.

Anyway, I digress ?