The all things EV chat thread

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t forget child Labour to mine for Cobalt and Lithium plus burning fossil fuel to generate the electricity?
But hey we are saving the planet.

Not to mention the carbon footprint of the manufacturing process of all the components.

Anyway, today, which is a nice sunny day's power sources:

42% Gas
17% solar
10% nuclear
8% BioMass
8% imported from france
5% wind
3% imported from NL
3 % imported from Belgium
3% coal

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
You forgot to mention the 50 mile range, the huge costs of the cars and having to replace the batteries every 3 years.

What would be your solution?
Oh indeed.

Honestly I don't know. But cars were pumping out cleaner air than they put in until they all started the race to be all-electric, technology is advancing at a helluva rate, personal transport is essential particularly in rural areas, could we have made fossil fuel burning truly clean? I'd guess we probably could have.

Electric isn;t the answer, it may well be worse than the disease it's curing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Don’t forget child Labour to mine for Cobalt and Lithium plus burning fossil fuel to generate the electricity?

You do know that cobalt is also used in the refinement of crude oil, which is used to make petrol and diesel?
And that every battery manufacturer is looking for a lithium/cobalt free battery, including Professor Goodenough who invented the Lithium-ion battery which powers every mobile phone/ i-pad/laptop on the planet.

Oh indeed.

Honestly I don't know. But cars were pumping out cleaner air than they put in until they all started the race to be all-electric, technology is advancing at a helluva rate, personal transport is essential particularly in rural areas, could we have made fossil fuel burning truly clean? I'd guess we probably could have.

Electric isn;t the answer, it may well be worse than the disease it's curing.

You'll have to help me out with the bits in bold, have you got any links please?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
plus burning fossil fuel to generate the electricity?

As the cost of renewable energy continues to fall, it makes more sense to stop burning fossil fuel to generate the electricity and focus on the future of renewable.

In most places in the world power from new renewables is now cheaper than power from new fossil fuels.

https://ourworldindata.org/cheap-renewables-growth

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem I find is once people get one bit into their head about new tech that's it.. they won't do any further research .. will bring out the same points over and over even if those points now don't even come into it anymore.

People simply don't like change

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
A colleague got stuck in a traffic jam on a motorway outside of Liverpool for quite a long time the other week, he said there were two Tesla's on the hard shoulder, both of which had run out of battery power ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A colleague got stuck in a traffic jam on a motorway outside of Liverpool for quite a long time the other week, he said there were two Tesla's on the hard shoulder, both of which had run out of battery power ?

Got to love hearsay stories , who's to say they run out of charge?

Funny how they were both telsas and not leafs for example

Almost like the story was exaggerated and one telsa had a flat tyre

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt that very much. They use almost zero power at standstill. Unless they sit there with ac on full blast the milage until empty wouldn't be changed due to traffic jams

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's news to me that EVs also have 12V batteries (presumably lead acid?)
Can anyone explain why? I'm not being argumentative, just genuinely interested in the reason.

To start them, the 12v will start the car and then run off the normal battery

https://evcentral.com.au/do-electric-cars-have-12v-batteries/

Yes, just like normal cars, EVs have 12-Volt batteries.

There are two very good reasons why.

Cost is one. Like any other kind of car, an EV has headlights, indicators, brake lights, windscreen wipers, an audio system, and other electric devices. With a 12V battery, the same inexpensive, mass produced components used in a normal car can be used in an EV.

Safety is the second reason. The high-voltage battery pack that powers an EV’s wheels stores a lot of energy, more than enough to deliver a fatal shock. So when an EV is shut down, it’s a very good idea to electrically isolate its battery pack.

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site

This is hilarious. I have a model 3, went away for 2 weeks and came back and it went from 57% to 54%.
Doubt a traffic jam with the car turned on would diminish to zero unless they left the house at 3% and then the dreaded traffic jam hit. ? those pesky Tesla owners, just don’t know how to do it do they!
p.S you’re Tesla would be going bat crazy at you if you leave the house that low on battery so I call hearsay on that story