The all things EV chat thread

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hammond crashed an EV on Top Gear, think it burned for 2 days ?
They have an issue with the cells re-igniting and it’s quite surprising that major legislation has not investigated this.

Have a look at lightyear which is a Dutch outfit and a range of 700kms with solar panels to recharge up to 70kms a day. Looks like the old Citroen CX .. very interesting stuff

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
So BMW have unveiled the pricing for the i4 M50 variant (am I allowed to use that word?) and it's not quite M4 money at £64000 (from) but it's still a lot of dough when the M440i can be bought for £10k less.

I am going to keep my eye on this though as the i4 M50 looks like a decent compromise with 200kW charging capability 80% in 30 minutes (still not great if you are out and about). It's disappointing though that the more expensive M50 is the only one with X-drive with the rest being rear wheel, not a great deal of use in a Scottish winter and the main reason my current M340i X-Drive is favourable.

Change time for me will probably be Feb/Mar next year so see how the i4 performs.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
So BMW have unveiled the pricing for the i4 M50 variant (am I allowed to use that word?) and it's not quite M4 money at £64000 (from) but it's still a lot of dough when the M440i can be bought for £10k less.

I am going to keep my eye on this though as the i4 M50 looks like a decent compromise with 200kW charging capability 80% in 30 minutes (still not great if you are out and about). It's disappointing though that the more expensive M50 is the only one with X-drive with the rest being rear wheel, not a great deal of use in a Scottish winter and the main reason my current M340i X-Drive is favourable.

Change time for me will probably be Feb/Mar next year so see how the i4 performs.

There are a few interesting options starting to appear for EVs. Lots of sums need to be done as the sticker price isn't necessarily what you end up paying, taking into account, tax, charging etc. Now more than ever, working out the running cost over the period you have the car is critical to figure out what it will actually cost you.

As for the X-Dive. I would take a proper set of winter tyres over the X-Drive system with normal tyres.

I used to put winters on my M3 and it would go pretty much anywhere in the snow. My mate who has a 435 with X-Drive got stuck going up the hill into our village, that I got up with no drama.
Of course having both would be the perfect solution.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A guy turned up at my golf club on Tuesday in a new VW ID.3 (perilously close to the BMW name). Similar size to a Golf, a good looking car. Back seat had to be flat to get his clubs in mind :rolleyes:. Good to see slightly bigger cars being an option though. If this change is going to happen we need cars that can move a family with luggage, not just runabouts.

Price is still high, starts at £32k, but hopefully this will drop over time.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a few interesting options starting to appear for EVs. Lots of sums need to be done as the sticker price isn't necessarily what you end up paying, taking into account, tax, charging etc. Now more than ever, working out the running cost over the period you have the car is critical to figure out what it will actually cost you.

As for the X-Dive. I would take a proper set of winter tyres over the X-Drive system with normal tyres.

I used to put winters on my M3 and it would go pretty much anywhere in the snow. My mate who has a 435 with X-Drive got stuck going up the hill into our village, that I got up with no drama.
Of course having both would be the perfect solution.

Not sure I agree on this having tried both ways the rear-wheel was still worse. I live in the middle of nowhere with bad roads and lots of hills and this year my 340 was way more reliable than the in-law's 330d with RWD and winter tyres. Yes, they got around but it was much hairier than in my car.
If your mate got stuck in a 435 with XD then I'm going to suggest that was more to do with the driver than the system.

I'd personally rather have X-Drive with the additional option of winter tyres than not have it and rely solely on the tyres. Especially with the torque figures some of these EVs are spec'd to be putting out.

The Dog.

Visit site
I drove my mates Tesla two days ago for the first time. Absolutely fantastic and I would definitely buy one. Fastest thing I have ever driven and I include in that a Honda Fireblade and a Porsche 911 GT2.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A guy turned up at my golf club on Tuesday in a new VW ID.3 (perilously close to the BMW name). Similar size to a Golf, a good looking car. Back seat had to be flat to get his clubs in mind :rolleyes:. Good to see slightly bigger cars being an option though. If this change is going to happen we need cars that can move a family with luggage, not just runabouts.

Price is still high, starts at £32k, but hopefully this will drop over time.

Check out the id4 it's beautiful

Guy at work was looking at the Mustang e

None 4 wheel drive is 380 mile range 88 useable battery kw

He lives like 100 miles from work and said would suit him perfect charge every night between shifts no stopping for fuel

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think we're on a fast curve now away from the ICE.
Interesting article here on the BBC.
Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think

I don't think that article is either good or insightful. It doesn't tell us anything we don't know. Products take time to be adopted and the acceleration of adoption is, in almost all cases, increased upon affordability. EVs are no different with one glaring exception; that is that the ban will try to enforce it's acceleration. And, IMO, it won't work like that.

Countries can say "well we're going to ban ICE vehicles from xxxx date" all they want, but that won't, in itself, drive people to EVs if they remain unaffordable. Range and charging are mere secondary considerations in the majority of cases with the cost the deciding factor and remains so with most shifts.

The article uses a good example if it does nothing else and that's the internet. In order for the web to become mass adopted it needed two things, infrastructure and affordability. Until those were achieved it was limited in reach. Even now, there are people without internet based on those two factors; people that can access but can't afford and those that can afford but can't access (affordability and infrastructure).

EVs are no different. Unless something, or until something, is done to make EV ownership affordable it's going to follow the same curve that we always do. A ban will not enforce uptake if the conditions above are not adequate or correct.

That's before we get to the tertiary decisions like size (or speed) requirements.

Before the usual suspects jump on this, I will be going to an EV for my next car, I consider myself fortunate that I can afford the type of car that I need (a small hatchback is of no use to me whatsoever) and at the moment it's a timing thing stopping me. Sadly, not all are in as fortunate a position until something happens to make it so, cheaper ICE will always win until then.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check out the id4 it's beautiful

Guy at work was looking at the Mustang e

None 4 wheel drive is 380 mile range 88 useable battery kw

He lives like 100 miles from work and said would suit him perfect charge every night between shifts no stopping for fuel
The ID4 does look nice but it's £42k

The range on the Mustang sounds great. That sort of range eliminates, if genuine, removes a good chunk of the range worry and re-charging pressure