The all things EV chat thread

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Without a doubt, smallest, cheapest thing I could get too. If I ever need a bigger car I would just rent one for the rare occasion.

I hope this is a model of the future as some (probably not golfers and those with young family’s) drive around a big car on their own because a couple of times a year they need the space. Madness!

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went electric in September. Tax benefits for my particular situation made it a no brainer.
As a petrolhead ( I have a sports car as a hobby) I was skeptical. However, I have to say it is absolutely fantastic.
I guess much depends on the model you buy, but this thing is quick, handles wonderfully, great fun to drive, comfortable, quiet, smooth and cheap to run.I put in a home charging point and that makes it viable in my view.
They are expensive but the tax element often trumps that.
If you think electric would work for you practically, I would highly recommend going for it. You won’t look back.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went electric in September. Tax benefits for my particular situation made it a no brainer.
As a petrolhead ( I have a sports car as a hobby) I was skeptical. However, I have to say it is absolutely fantastic.
I guess much depends on the model you buy, but this thing is quick, handles wonderfully, great fun to drive, comfortable, quiet, smooth and cheap to run.I put in a home charging point and that makes it viable in my view.
They are expensive but the tax element often trumps that.
If you think electric would work for you practically, I would highly recommend going for it. You won’t look back.

I yesterday have switched to octopus energy ready to switch to the electric car in April (deal was up anyways so thought rather than go elsewhere)

We will keep the massive diesel car for long trips and times we need to go out as a family ..

Great for going to work or the golf course for me

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, ordered an e208 through work and it arrives in January.
Certainly not a brand I’d buy and it’s a big step down on hp but there’s something about the interior and not many options out there for electric. But it’s £285 a month with servicing, tyres, breakdown and free charging at work.
Hopefully in three years they’ll be more choice in the hatchback or crossover range. Maybe Tesla might make something smaller.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like the idea of an electric car but I have a few concerns. I live and work in relatively rural areas and so charging is limited to say the least. Certainly no option to charge in the day. Then there is the other concern, what if I forget to plug it in at night. With a normal car, not a problem, just limp it to a petrol station or use some of the fuel I have in the garage to get me there. With electric, I am stuck with no transport for several hours. Range is also a concern as I do not want to have to stop for a period on a journey to charge up.

I am also concerned about the life of the batteries. From what I understand, they are basically blocks of 18650 cells. If that is the case, how long before they stop charging to full capacity and what is the cost to replace. That certainly makes me nervous of the second hand market.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, ordered an e208 through work and it arrives in January.
Certainly not a brand I’d buy and it’s a big step down on hp but there’s something about the interior and not many options out there for electric. But it’s £285 a month with servicing, tyres, breakdown and free charging at work.
Hopefully in three years they’ll be more choice in the hatchback or crossover range. Maybe Tesla might make something smaller.
Tesla are bringing out an SUV soon.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the idea of an electric car but I have a few concerns. I live and work in relatively rural areas and so charging is limited to say the least. Certainly no option to charge in the day. Then there is the other concern, what if I forget to plug it in at night. With a normal car, not a problem, just limp it to a petrol station or use some of the fuel I have in the garage to get me there. With electric, I am stuck with no transport for several hours. Range is also a concern as I do not want to have to stop for a period on a journey to charge up.

I am also concerned about the life of the batteries. From what I understand, they are basically blocks of 18650 cells. If that is the case, how long before they stop charging to full capacity and what is the cost to replace. That certainly makes me nervous of the second hand market.

Have to admit it's why I'm doing a 4 year lease then that gives me chance to see what advances are about after

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
This :

Our drivers are required to deliver an electric vehicle with 80% charge, so they have to find a rapid charging point fairly close to their destination.

I’ve lost count of the times a driver has reported that their preferred charging point is either out of action or has a queue.

Also when we collect an electric vehicle, sometimes it only has a small charge left, and believe me, it’s no fun chasing a working charging point with rapidly diminishing power and no back up

The goal is all electric, but that cannot be achieved until the charging problem is solved. And the charging problem is becoming something of an "elephant in the room" thing.
What has to be faced is the safe, secure and practicable charging for all the people who will use cars. That will be no less than those who do now.

And where do those people live. ?
1. Not all in homes with drives where charging can be done from the house.
2.Not all in streets where they can park outside their homes and charge from many many charge points. It is debatable that this is practicable. I think it is not. (Talk about snakes on a plane?)

There are more ,I suggest, drivers who live in flats, terraced housing, and houses where cables cannot securely charge overnight.

At present, refuelling means visiting a petrol station maybe once a week.
Refuelling all electric will mean, for most, refuelling overnight.
No problem in No.1 above, but a big big problem for everyone else.

I think that all electric will not take off until the battery technology is such that drivers can detach the battery, take it indoors and charge there - much like I do with my buggy battery.
That will come , technology will find a way, but until then, no government can legislate to remove petrol,and diesel vehicles from the roads.
But such legislation will happen when all electric becomes viable.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The goal is all electric, but that cannot be achieved until the charging problem is solved. And the charging problem is becoming something of an "elephant in the room" thing.
What has to be faced is the safe, secure and practicable charging for all the people who will use cars. That will be no less than those who do now.

And where do those people live. ?
1. Not all in homes with drives where charging can be done from the house.
2.Not all in streets where they can park outside their homes and charge from many many charge points. It is debatable that this is practicable. I think it is not. (Talk about snakes on a plane?)

There are more ,I suggest, drivers who live in flats, terraced housing, and houses where cables cannot securely charge overnight.

At present, refuelling means visiting a petrol station maybe once a week.
Refuelling all electric will mean, for most, refuelling overnight.
No problem in No.1 above, but a big big problem for everyone else.

I think that all electric will not take off until the battery technology is such that drivers can detach the battery, take it indoors and charge there - much like I do with my buggy battery.
That will come , technology will find a way, but until then, no government can legislate to remove petrol,and diesel vehicles from the roads.

The cynic in me sees the bringing forward of ban of sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2040 to 2030 just a way to prop up the car industry .. make people buy new cars constantly etc

Obviously the lease market does that already

Lease hybrids until 2035 now is a half option

Completely side note reminds me when I went for an air con recharge at Kwik fit few years ago (only went because it's a simple machine they can't muck it up .. plug and play no options for extras and they had done my Honda) took my hybrid in pre paid and they said oh we don't touch hybrids apart from tyres company policy you need to get a refund

Going to have to adapt fast to that with is it Volvo making their entire range hyrbid soon?

Went to a local garage paid £5 Less and got to watch him do it.. he was explaining how simple it is ... How he couldn't believe how they would turn buisness away for plug and play

Been there a few times since .. much better service

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the government isn't planning to remove petrol and diesel vehicles from the roads, it is going to stop the sales of new petrol/diesel cars by 2035. 15 years.
So up until then, you can still buy one, keep it and drive it for 5/10/15 years. That potentially takes you up to 2050.

10 years ago there were no electric cars or chargers. Today, there are over 35,000 chargers https://www.zap-map.com/statistics/ In 15 years time, who knows how many.

Everyone in the EV industry knows the problems with charging and great improvements have been made with the charging infrastructure, just like when the first motor car became widely available.
Intrestingly, if you were fortunate enough to have one of the first cars back in the early 1920s, there were no petrol stations, you had to buy your petrol from the chemist, 2 gallons at a time.

Mandofred

Visit site
We only put about 5000 miles a year on the car....electric would work for us. IFFF they ever look like they are going to get a lot of charge points.....would consider it. Right now....almost nothing around us. Just too inconvenient at this time....it'll get better. But no way by 2030 as they stated on tv will there be enough charge points....

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The charging network must improve and all / most electric vehicles will have to have fast charging technology similar to Tesla supercharging. However governments around the world are not going to let this go.
There is a video on YouTube from Harry’s Garage which explains it well. There is going to be a carrot and stick approach. This is a car enthusiasts channel and even he says that in 3 years time every new car will have some kind of plug attached, whether we like it or not. This is because governments like the EU have set a fleet average carbon emissions level all motor manufacturers must meet. If their fleet average exceeds it, there is a huge fine of possibly several thousands of Euros for each car they sell. So if a motor manufacturer wants to sell a diesel SUV it will have to have an all electric in their range to bring down the average, otherwise their vehicle cost becomes unviable.
As for the future, well be ready for huge changes. It’s possible the ban on the sale of new internal combustion engine cars won’t have much effect on new car buying habits, because we probably won’t be buying new cars anyway. I was reading that children born today will likely never have a driving licence. Self driving cars will be the norm, a journey will be ordered on your phone and a self drive car will come and collect you. All paid for through the app.
Only the future will tell of course, but this stuff is coming and a lot quicker than most people think.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
People keep talking about the inevitability of self driving cars but I don't hear anything from consumers suggesting they either want them or will buy into them. The tech may be getting closer but it doesn't mean people will buy them.

yandabrown

Visit site
People keep talking about the inevitability of self driving cars but I don't hear anything from consumers suggesting they either want them or will buy into them. The tech may be getting closer but it doesn't mean people will buy them.
I was going to suggest that the target market for these kinds of cars are companies like Uber etc. However, I've just read that they are selling of their self drive car business.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My issue with driverless cars is, and always has been, the non-driverless cars on the road at the same time..
The unpredictability of humans makes it dangerous to rely on a computer to get you out of trouble when Joe Public turns right with 0.00000001 seconds of notice.
I have nothing against driverless cars, I just don't think there's a place for them until all cars are driverless.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to suggest that the target market for these kinds of cars are companies like Uber etc. However, I've just read that they are selling of their self drive car business.
I accept they will come along at some point but I don't see a charge by the mass population to these. Small numbers to start with, big cities perhaps, but I think it will be decades before they really make an impact.

(This statement could come back to haunt me of course ?)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some think of them as driverless taxis.
Every morning at a pre-arranged time one turns up and takes you to work. No parking required, just drops you off. Another collects you at tea time and takes you home.
You can of course drive it yourself but why would you, especially after a few sherries.
arnie.jpg