The all things EV chat thread

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Mrs runs a hybrid and charges at home overnight which is enough charge to get her to work and back each day, around 25 miles each way. We've done the costing comparison and putting aside the higher purchase price of the car and looking at purely fuel costs there is a huge saving over the petrol costs, but in terms of energy usage there is very little difference, the savings are really only there owing to the differing taxation on the fuels.

Putting aside the environmental debate as this discussion is purely about the costs.

As more and more vehicles are able to use electricity, either partly or wholly, there will be a huge reduction in funds going into the treasury. I can foresee the electricity being used for electric vehicle charging being sub-metered and charged at a different rate to recoup some or all of the shortfall.
I think it has to..how much of a £1 of petrol goes in tax..? 50%?
So £2.50-£3 a gallon goes to the Govt.
25-30 quid a tank
Thats a lot of revenue they're going to miss out on....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Mrs runs a hybrid and charges at home overnight which is enough charge to get her to work and back each day, around 25 miles each way. We've done the costing comparison and putting aside the higher purchase price of the car and looking at purely fuel costs there is a huge saving over the petrol costs, but in terms of energy usage there is very little difference, the savings are really only there owing to the differing taxation on the fuels.

Putting aside the environmental debate as this discussion is purely about the costs.

As more and more vehicles are able to use electricity, either partly or wholly, there will be a huge reduction in funds going into the treasury. I can foresee the electricity being used for electric vehicle charging being sub-metered and charged at a different rate to recoup some or all of the shortfall.

See this is where I don't see them being able to tax it

They would be taxing a lot of people who don't use electric cars etc

They want us all on electric boilers by 2040 is it? So all our heating and electric use at home would be taxed more to catch road users?

If anything they will have to road tax electric cars .. maybe done on milage driven

They won't be able to do sub metres

They have pushed us onto smart metres with 30 min feeds to the networks

That's how they can say right cheaper at this time

I can't imagine them changing the smart metres again when it's already costing them billions

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you had for a day did you play around with the lumbar support much? The Kona electric is suppose to have the most range of driving positions on the electric range ATM
Not really I was not driving it that far and initially it felt comfortable enough. Could have been the overall driving as it was such a different drive position compared to my own car (Peugeot 308). I was also having enough problems with working out some of the electrics eg. the previous driver had left the lane assist on (very scary).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really I was not driving it that far and initially it felt comfortable enough. Could have been the overall driving as it was such a different drive position compared to my own car (Peugeot 308). I was also having enough problems with working out some of the electrics eg. the previous driver had left the lane assist on (very scary).

Love lane assist , but not if you don't know it's on

First time I drove my car My back ached but once I fiddled around I haven't felt a twinge since

Sometimes too many positions can be counter productive

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it has to..how much of a £1 of petrol goes in tax..? 50%?
So £2.50-£3 a gallon goes to the Govt.
25-30 quid a tank
Thats a lot of revenue they're going to miss out on....

Maybe they will save some money when they stop spending millions subsidising fossil fuel burning power stations.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See this is where I don't see them being able to tax it

They would be taxing a lot of people who don't use electric cars etc

They want us all on electric boilers by 2040 is it? So all our heating and electric use at home would be taxed more to catch road users?

If anything they will have to road tax electric cars .. maybe done on milage driven

They won't be able to do sub metres

They have pushed us onto smart metres with 30 min feeds to the networks

That's how they can say right cheaper at this time

I can't imagine them changing the smart metres again when it's already costing them billions
Its us the consumer who’s paying for those smart meters, so don’t think it’s costing the power companies it isn’t.
Do you remember the arguement for water meters....”we need to conserve water and your water bills will be less”
Strange how the unit cost of water has risen exponentially since the meters went in and our consumption dropped.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
To the OP, no. I recently changed my car and electric wasn't a consideration. With the direction of travel currently, I could well be in 4 years time.

Better infrastructure and double range, then I'm talking. I love the look of the Porsche Taycan.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just been talking to a golfing buddy who has a Lexus hybrid and asked what MPG he got expecting it to be quite high. His answer was around 26 mpg! My 12 month old BMW 520d returns over 48 mpg and as it was 10 months old when I bought it was almost 50% off the new price.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've just been talking to a golfing buddy who has a Lexus hybrid and asked what MPG he got expecting it to be quite high. His answer was around 26 mpg! My 12 month old BMW 520d returns over 48 mpg and as it was 10 months old when I bought it was almost 50% off the new price.

Strange.
The mpg of a Lexus hybrid is normally around 68-70 mpg, unless it was an older model?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Strange.
The mpg of a Lexus hybrid is normally around 68-70 mpg, unless it was an older model?
Not sure where you get those figures from but I reckon you are a good 20mpg optimistic at best. Check out their website and factor in they will be exaggerated.

The SUV Lexus cars will be 20's, nx, may be mid 30's. Not good options.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure where you get those figures from but I reckon you are a good 20mpg optimistic at best. Check out their website and factor in they will be exaggerated.

The SUV Lexus cars will be 20's, nx, may be mid 30's. Not good options.

I'm just going by what auto trader says.

Fuel

Urban 68.9 mpg
Extra urban 70.6 mpg
Combined 68.9 mpg

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...chad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

I know all manufacturers may exaggerate their mpg figures but 68-70 mpg down to 26 is a bit strange

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm just going by what auto trader says.

Fuel

Urban 68.9 mpg
Extra urban 70.6 mpg
Combined 68.9 mpg

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009113612815?make=LEXUS&fuel-type=Hybrid – Petrol/Electric&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1500&sort=relevance&postcode=ng348xf&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

I know all manufacturers may exaggerate their mpg figures but 68-70 mpg down to 26 is a bit strange
That's a copy and paste job from the era of fantasy figures.

These are the current numbers, still likely to be over cooked.
https://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/...LHT4SQHsRPg6L3IuOlRoCFkkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There currently isn't an EV that suits what I need/want at the price I want to pay for a car.

Current car is a 535d touring which has the ideal mix of power, range, space and comfort for me. Pre lockdown I was doing just short of 30k a miles a year. I spend enough time in service stations as it is without needing to charge a car.

If I continue being based from home long term then I could be tempted to go EV when it comes to change. But then again I could also be tempted to go for a sports car ?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

That would be abysmal. My 5.5 AMG has averaged 25 over the two years since I bought it, and that has no pretence of being a hybrid.