The all things EV chat thread

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Definitely don't miss my F30 335D, although it was just stock power and no remap. Still a great car though I'm not knocking it.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
You should try taking learners on a DC..people do not like being overtaken by an L plate...
The look on some people's faces is priceless.
Well, they're only doing 62...we're going 70.
And the number that step on it as soon as they realise........:LOL:

Our lasses number plate is **** AMY.
When i drive her car it’s upset a few ego’s ? blokes do not like it one bit.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
20210204_133326.jpg

Moving to go faster from tonight .. cutting edge trail lol I asked for the hours to be middle of night still .. could have moved forward to 20:30 but with a late turn getting home at 22:00 it would limit my potential

We already run the dishwasher and washing (one load) at these times as we were doing overnight anyways so might aswell get the cheap hours

The twins room I got a electric oil filled radiator for 3 hours a night at 1kw .. means we don't have to heat the whole house to keep them toasty ..only costs 16.5p a day worth it

This extra hour will mean on an early I can fit a tumble and second wash in those hours and means I can unplug the car mid charge as there is no way to schedule stop on the vauxhall..

Also means I have 35kw available to charge at cheap rate not 28kw which is always good , means could run the car until 33% rather than 38% before recharging and still all be cheap

I love this kind of rubbish though planning stupid things

GuyInLyon

Visit site
I recently (September) bought what is probably my last car.
It's a 2021 Seat Ibiza with almost all of the mod cons and a petrol engine.
If I treat it right I figure that I'll be able to sell it in 2031 and not take too much of a hit.
I wouldn't get an electric car until it is as easy to "refuel" as a petrol car is now. Drive up to a "pump", refuel in five minutes or less, drive away.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
inCollage_20210218_080527307.jpg

So the car arrived 21st January. So almost a month now (I can't go anywhere ATM so that's my months worth of traveling complete so thought do a mini update)

I've taken the seat out twice. Once to give it a run and second time because father had to drive me back from surgery so couldn't take Corsa as lease deal only me and wife can drive apparently.

Anyways total cost of electric to date £13.25 , I had to do one day at the expensive rate .. due to being on nights but have balanced it off ..

Also have switched from octupus go to go faster so rather than 4 hours at 0.5p I have 5 hours at 0.055p which gives me extra 7kw in the cheaper rate if needed and helps with household bits like washing in mornings on earlies.

Anyways back to car. Came with 178 on clock it now has 850 on the clock so 672 miles in that month

Average of 2p per mile not bad

Driving wise it's lovely , smooth and just a pleasant drive on the commute

Can see in the future going for a bigger version as the kids grow

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why only you and the wife able to drive? I've had lease cars before and it's up to me who I put on the insurance, nothing to do with the lease company. I'd check that if I were you.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why only you and the wife able to drive? I've had lease cars before and it's up to me who I put on the insurance, nothing to do with the lease company. I'd check that if I were you.

Lease plan, what they said was wife is fine and said if someone else was wanted would need their own insurance policy as need fully comp insurance .. dunno why I can't just add him to mine

This is from their website Screenshot_20210218-082749_Chrome.jpg

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Screenshot_20210302-175221_Pod Point.jpg

So as of last night officially got beta testing access to podpoint app .. field testing their new scheduled charging

Trying to manage my battery on the car to be roughly no more than 80% on a day to day

2 hours added 30% last night leaving me with 84%

Means I just plug in car now, don't have to deffer the charge as the podpoint won't allow electric out until these times (added bonus nobody else can use it as it would be off lol)

Another toy to play with

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
View attachment 35384

So as of last night officially got beta testing access to podpoint app .. field testing their new scheduled charging

Trying to manage my battery on the car to be roughly no more than 80% on a day to day

Means I just plug in car now, don't have to deffer the charge as the podpoint won't allow electric out until these times (added bonus nobody else can use it as it would be off lol)

Another toy to play with

Jealous
Have you seen this yet?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
View attachment 35384

Another toy to play with

Let us know if it works!
How’d you get access to it?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
IMO, 100% Electric is the future! However, we are in a transition period, the length of which is undetermined!
Diesels used to be deemed the 'solution' to vehicle polution, however that has, quite quickly, been shown to be false, The (production of) components that go into (current (sic)) batteries are extremely dodgy environmentally - just look up the effects of lithium extraction - so there is a lot of, quite reasonable imo, scepticism about electric being the 'solution'!
What seems, to me, to be required, is some 'real' environmentally power production - wind/wave or 'good old hydro' where possible.
Modern humanity is hooked on the car as a method of transport - in spite of rail being 'far better' for the likes of most commuting in the South East.
But until USA and most of the western world drop their addiction with the car, then nothing's going to change!
Btw. I have to confess the the car is by far the most convenient form of transport for my home country (New Zealand) - but that's purely on a cost per (likely) pasenger basis - with not too dis-similar area, but about 20 times the population, public transport is far more cost-effective in UK!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IMO, 100% Electric is the future! However, we are in a transition period, the length of which is undetermined!
Diesels used to be deemed the 'solution' to vehicle polution, however that has, quite quickly, been shown to be false, The (production of) components that go into (current (sic)) batteries are extremely dodgy environmentally - just look up the effects of lithium extraction - so there is a lot of, quite reasonable imo, scepticism about electric being the 'solution'!
What seems, to me, to be required, is some 'real' environmentally power production - wind/wave or 'good old hydro' where possible.
Modern humanity is hooked on the car as a method of transport - in spite of rail being 'far better' for the likes of most commuting in the South East.
But until USA and most of the western world drop their addiction with the car, then nothing's going to change!
Btw. I have to confess the the car is by far the most convenient form of transport for my home country (New Zealand) - but that's purely on a cost per (likely) pasenger basis - with not too dis-similar area, but about 20 times the population, public transport is far more cost-effective in UK!

The next generation of batteries on the way are going to be game changers. 500 miles single charge in 5 mins think they were saying

I've made it my aim for this season to try and do majority of golf days in the electric car , I reckon I could go to ones up to 75 miles away comfortably which wouldn't be bad at all!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is strange, or perhaps more telling is that whilst there seems to be a rush to claim to be only producing electric only from 2030 in line with Governments declarations, Toyota who you have to say are the pioneers of hybrid cars are aiming at hyrdrogen fuel cell cars as their target line. Do you think they might actually have chosen the VHS path over the Betamax of everyone else?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What is strange, or perhaps more telling is that whilst there seems to be a rush to claim to be only producing electric only from 2030 in line with Governments declarations, Toyota who you have to say are the pioneers of hybrid cars are aiming at hyrdrogen fuel cell cars as their target line. Do you think they might actually have chosen the VHS path over the Betamax of everyone else?

I saw a hydrogen powered Toyota last year, outside our office. First, and only one I have ever seen.
Then I found out that (at the time) there were only 4 places in the UK you could refuel it. One of which was in Hendon, about 3 miles away. Range of around 250 miles. It wouldn't get you to any of the other refuel points.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw a hydrogen powered Toyota last year, outside our office. First, and only one I have ever seen.
Then I found out that (at the time) there were only 4 places in the UK you could refuel it. One of which was in Hendon, about 3 miles away. Range of around 250 miles. It wouldn't get you to any of the other refuel points.
Hyundai ran 4 of their SUV's as hydrogen powered cars over here a couple of years back, to see how they faired. TBH it has to be the way forward, and for the life of me I don't understand why more car companies aren't jumping on that ship

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hyundai ran 4 of their SUV's as hydrogen powered cars over here a couple of years back, to see how they faired. TBH it has to be the way forward, and for the life of me I don't understand why more car companies aren't jumping on that ship
They are, big heavy vehicles have realised that’s the direction they have to go.

Battery is still a reasonable solution but it’s benefits will be eroded. You can use them like a “Tesla wall” and the new Hyundai has it and I think they refer to it as V2G.