The all things EV chat thread

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
On a more serious note, with the way things are going with electric cars, emissions zones, government incentives, etc, the demand for fosdil fuel will end long before the supply runs out.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
You have no idea. It isn't all about how fast you go. There is way more to cars than that.

Anyone who hasn't had a go in a 500hp+ car really doesn't know how much fun they can be to drive, at legal speeds.
I have driven 650 HP, but only at about 20 km/h on private land. The legal driver did take it up to 50 km/h while I was swivelling the turret and trying to hit targets.

Topgear did a thing years ago where they took super cars and drove them conservative and the mpg they got was really good because they are super efficient engines. It just was no fun and pointless.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You spend as long as you want on the wrong side of the road but please don't do it when I'm coming the other way.

Ah now you need to be clearer ... First what's the limit? Is it 60 as it must be maximum of 60 when it's a single carriage way.. if so why the rush to get past when probably a nice safe passing point just down the road ... Stuck behind someone at 50 oh no.. really going to make bugger all difference to the trip if legal limits are applied

Plus most single carriageways seem to be moving to 50/40 in parts .

Also... You would pick a gap appropriate to the car you are driving .. so the 1.0 ford wouldn't attempt the same gap as the loon in the BMW unless ofc he is completely reckless

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
BMW covers a bit of a range of ability. A bit of a general description. A 118 is a world apart from an M4. Not saying you owned either, but generalisations don't work.
Where it is safe to overtake, I would rather do it in a more powerful car, than a less powerful one.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BMW covers a bit of a range of ability. A bit of a general description. A 118 is a world apart from an M4. Not saying you owned either, but generalisations don't work.
Where it is safe to overtake, I would rather do it in a more powerful car, than a less powerful one.

Very much felt the A3, 1 series and a class cheapened the brand's ..

My old 3 series had 160bhp which at the time was enough, 8 seconds 0-60 with 140 top speed

My current car has 136,bhp 7.8 seconds 0-60 with 93 top speed

Amazing how tech comes on I mean it goes faster on less brake horse power

And lag

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Very much felt the A3, 1 series and a class cheapened the brand's ..

My old 3 series had 160bhp which at the time was enough, 8 seconds 0-60 with 140 top speed

My current car has 136,bhp 7.8 seconds 0-60 with 93 top speed

Amazing how tech comes on I mean it goes faster on less brake horse power

And lag

My old Audi coupe, from 1983 ish, had a 2.2i which put out 125hp ish, and that also did 0 to 60 in 8 seconds. At the time that was fairly quick, whilst not rapid. It was no quattro though, but then that only had 200hp (later 220).

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Indeed. Can be embarrassing if you overtake, say in an underpowered car, up the hill on a motorway and you've buried your foot to the floor, only to creep past! Yes you can say don't overtake in the first place, but it's compounded when the car you are overtaking then speeds up and you are "stranded" :LOL:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Indeed. Can be embarrassing if you overtake, say in an underpowered car, up the hill on a motorway and you've buried your foot to the floor, only to creep past! Yes you can say don't overtake in the first place, but it's compounded when the car you are overtaking then speeds up and you are "stranded" :LOL:
You should try taking learners on a DC..people do not like being overtaken by an L plate...
The look on some people's faces is priceless.
Well, they're only doing 62...we're going 70.
And the number that step on it as soon as they realise........:LOL:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Don't get any of that in electric cars, pure power available when needed legally

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
You should try taking learners on a DC..people do not like being overtaken by an L plate...
The look on some people's faces is priceless.
Well, they're only doing 62...we're going 70.
And the number that step on it as soon as they realise........:LOL:

I remember once I was with mates on a night over 25 years ago and I was designated driver. I was overtaken by a bus on a single carriageway road. :oops::ROFLMAO: