The all things EV chat thread

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't tried as yet although I know the boot size is a shade larger than my old Audi S4. I plan to have a play around tomorrow when it's not quite so hot, will let you know.

I had a test drive in a Genesis GV70 at the weekend, petrol version but same body size. I asked the guy if he minded if I tried my clubs in the back, and he laughed and said "Sure, loads of people have done the same already". It fitted well. Considering the forthcoming EV version.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, I've been ready to go since March!! :D Got a Hypervolt installed whilst the grant was in place.

Sensible, you will love it. Even with little issues now and again with the Corsa I wouldn't want to buy another ice car if possible

The experience is just too good, nice to drive, easy to fill up (if at home) just relaxing

Precondition today was a god send both leaving for and leaving work.. car was perfect when I got in

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
So after 256 days of waiting the trailer arrived at 8:30am this morning with the new motor! The first thing to say is that I am a very tech savvy person but even I feel a little overwhelmed by the amount of buttons/menus/settings there are in the car however the driving is simple, put it in 'D' and off you go!! It's very fast and amazingly quiet especially having been in the wife's Mini Convertible for the last 6 weeks or so!!

Timing of the delivery was brilliant as I've spent a couple of hours today working whilst sat in the back seats with the air con on full with the laptop plugged in!! :D:D

View attachment 43534

I can order a new EV in December and this is shortlisted depending on what’s coming round the corner.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The cost advantage of running an EV verses an ICE must be complicated considering the increased cost of Petrol v Electricity.
Maybe they have both increased similarly. The other consideration is whether either will reduce greater than the other in the medium term.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The cost advantage of running an EV verses an ICE must be complicated considering the increased cost of Petrol v Electricity.
Maybe they have both increased similarly. The other consideration is whether either will reduce greater than the other in the medium term.

It really depends on personal situations

If you can charge at home you can still get ev tariffs and they have only risen by 2.5p a Kw for their night rates so 7.5p instead of 5p

Day rates are 40p (price cap will go above that soon)

So my fill up last night of 20kw would have cost me 50p more than it did before

20kw is just under half a "tank" so a full tank cheap rates £1.50 call it more

£1.50 more to go 200 miles

However on street charging has risen but still it works out cheaper .. I mean Lidl is 25p a kw so cheaper than home for most .. super charge whilst shopping 45kw would be £11.50 to go 200 miles

Even 60p a kw would be £27 for 200 miles ,
At £1.85 a litre for a car of say 40mpg would be £41.50 50 mpg would be £33 ..

So you need to go to the extremes of the figures to get them close so it is still cheaper

Depends on the person

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It really depends on personal situations

Depends on the person

Ultimately it’s this.

For me I have a home charger, if I had to charge during the day when most expensive it’s 33p kWh so a full charge would be £24 which will take me about 250 miles. Obviously I wouldn’t do that, I’d use my night rate which is 19p so the same 0-100 would be around £14. Even with the price cap increasing in October it’ll still save me money over my ICE and that’s before including the running costs and road tax etc.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ultimately it’s this.

For me I have a home charger, if I had to charge during the day when most expensive it’s 33p kWh so a full charge would be £24 which will take me about 250 miles. Obviously I wouldn’t do that, I’d use my night rate which is 19p so the same 0-100 would be around £14. Even with the price cap increasing in October it’ll still save me money over my ICE and that’s before including the running costs and road tax etc.
Keep an eye on octupus go

ATM it's 40p day 7.5p night

With the price cap very likely to go above 40p a unit it could be one to jump on before it goes up and lock for a year

I'm locked at 14 day 5.5 night until Feb which by then my battery is here and I'll go onto the Tesla plan which is 11p flat rate ATM (was 8p only just changed to a whopping 11 lol)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

You can't buy off-peak diesel or petrol

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I’d disagree typically.

Surely it’s just labelled different. Choosing to fill up at motorway services paying premier prices is no difference to charging your car during peak times, you pay more for convenience.

But petrol/diesel is the same price at Tesco at 02.30 and 08.30 (assuming open 24hrs)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It will be interesting to see what happens if/when this free charging ends at super markets. Maybe subsidised charging based on spend?

I guess it will depend on if the other local supermarkets have chargers installed..... Sainsbury, Aldi and Lidl.
Mcdonalds have applied to have 6 installed but they will be 58p per Kwh. :eek: