The all things EV chat thread

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We must be lucky as we have 7 and 22kwh which are free and a 50kwh which is 28p per kwh

22kwh obviously better, although fairly few cars can use it to full advantage anyway as most are limited by the onboard charger to 11kwh, but you would still get around 30 miles in 45 minutes which you cant complain about if free.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasn't quoting myself, I was just typing what some people might say.
When I do get my EV, I'll do a full report, it's probably going to be a Nissan Leaf 2019 or an eGolf

Don't go for the e golf .. leaf is a lot better .. better range and make better electric cars than the first VW's

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can only speak for my town which has Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Sainsburys and
Tesco is the only one that has EV charging. That gives it a unique selling point, I'll do my shopping at Tesco and charge at the same time.
And not all the chargers are free, you have to pay 28p per kwh for the faster 50kwh charger and even at that price, you could charge your EV from 20%-80% in 30 mins at the cost of about £7 (less than the cost of a gallon of diesel 100 yds away) which would add 80-100 miles. Just sayin
Free charging at supermarkets is constantly brought up as a reason to have an EV, what you seem to ignore is that if they all were on demand chargeable then most likely they wouldn’t be hogged and there would be more of them as there would be a return on the installation and running of them.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Free charging at supermarkets is constantly brought up as a reason to have an EV, what you seem to ignore is that if they all were on demand chargeable then most likely they wouldn’t be hogged and there would be more of them as there would be a return on the installation and running of them.

No, they are mentioned as one of the solutions for people who can't charge at home, the fact they are free at the moment is just a bonus.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was a 20 plate.

ah yes Id agree .. not a fan of that one

I like the new one they just launched it.. its the sister car of the kia ev6 (think thats the name) but spacey looking but its like one of the cars of the year

but can see why you didnt like the other one I wasnt a fan of that either

your point about 7kw is spot on.

its much better to use

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Build quality...not good View attachment 42112
Range...not good View attachment 42112

Infrastructure...not good View attachment 42112

Gotcha(y)

Actually Bob, you are wrong on the middle one. The range was fine. There was nothing wrong with the range. But if you want a car that feels cheap and plastic then knock yourself out.

All I have done is report objectively and factually on actually living with an EV in my area. No, we don't have the infrastructure but, if you actually read my assessment, for me, with the right home charger, it wouldn't be an issue and I will STILL be buying one when the one I want becomes available. This is not a cost/price driven decision but one of build and drive quality which is equally important as how easy charging is. What I DID say was that if you are rural and DON'T have access to home charging, then it's probably not viable.

But you keep trotting out the same "Gotcha" to reasoned debate all you want... (y)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually Bob, you are wrong on the middle one. The range was fine. There was nothing wrong with the range. But if you want a car that feels cheap and plastic then knock yourself out.

All I have done is report objectively and factually on actually living with an EV in my area. No, we don't have the infrastructure but, if you actually read my assessment, for me, with the right home charger, it wouldn't be an issue and I will STILL be buying one when the one I want becomes available. This is not a cost/price driven decision but one of build and drive quality which is equally important as how easy charging is. What I DID say was that if you are rural and DON'T have access to home charging, then it's probably not viable.

But you keep trotting out the same "Gotcha" to reasoned debate all you want... (y)

Im disappointed it was the new inoqic as I would loved to have heard your views on that.. but anyways do you think that to get a truly good quality EV you need to go to your Audis and BMW (which cost a lot more) and the ones now say your Teslas , ID3 etc are same price as normal ICE premium cars but not as good quality and say that car you had was brand new same price as the MG EV range (under 30k) it would be a better reflection of the cars quality?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic, I was agreeing with you

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic, I was agreeing with you

But for your needs, the range was fine and you say you have the infrastructure.

Mine was merely a word of warning that for the money, there are better options that the Ioniq in terms of build and drive quality. On that part I was wrong though, that was not objective as it was purely my opinion of the car. But I do prefer my car not to wallow and roll when cornering at 30.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im disappointed it was the new inoqic as I would loved to have heard your views on that.. but anyways do you think that to get a truly good quality EV you need to go to your Audis and BMW (which cost a lot more) and the ones now say your Teslas , ID3 etc are same price as normal ICE premium cars but not as good quality and say that car you had was brand new same price as the MG EV range (under 30k) it would be a better reflection of the cars quality?

No, I don't think that is the case and I can't say broadly that quality is low across all marques. However, and it's a however that sits across pretty much all products, price does reflect quality whether we like it or not. A £75k BMW 8 series is going to be built with better quality materials than a £10k Dacia Duster.

My exprience of EVs is limited to the Ioniq which I had to live with for 10 days, a BMW i4 M50 which I had for 24 hours and occasionally driving my mate's Tesla Model S (which I think has decent build quality but is a terrible car to drive, personal opinion disclaimer). The i4 ticked a lot of my boxes, not because it's a BMW but because I have a list of things I want from my car and it met most of them. Not all, I still don't like the synthetic "engine" noise it makes and I think the suspension is a little too soft still but it's worlds ahead of the Ioniq, which actually had me quite scared when cornering.

What we can't expect is manufacturers to sell at low prices whilst using premium materials. It's just not realistic so you have to accept at some point that the quality of product you receive will be reflected in the price you pay.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What we can't expect is manufacturers to sell at low prices whilst using premium materials. It's just not realistic so you have to accept at some point that the quality of product you receive will be reflected in the price you pay.

And that's exactly why I haven't bought an EV yet, all the good quality ones are still out of my price bracket which is why I'm waiting for a decent second hand one.
Yes I can charge at home and I don't do many miles but I still want to drive a nice car when I do.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, I don't think that is the case and I can't say broadly that quality is low across all marques. However, and it's a however that sits across pretty much all products, price does reflect quality whether we like it or not. A £75k BMW 8 series is going to be built with better quality materials than a £10k Dacia Duster.

My exprience of EVs is limited to the Ioniq which I had to live with for 10 days, a BMW i4 M50 which I had for 24 hours and occasionally driving my mate's Tesla Model S (which I think has decent build quality but is a terrible car to drive, personal opinion disclaimer). The i4 ticked a lot of my boxes, not because it's a BMW but because I have a list of things I want from my car and it met most of them. Not all, I still don't like the synthetic "engine" noise it makes and I think the suspension is a little too soft still but it's worlds ahead of the Ioniq, which actually had me quite scared when cornering.

I'm firmly keeping my eye on the MG ev . It's just been launched the model I want at 27k if that's 20k Ish second hand in 3 years time I will defo consider buying then lease a big ev for the family .. the mg with 200 plus miles perfect for me personally then get a 300 range one for the family .. will cover 90%

One downside to an EV.. you can't jump start an ice car! Had to use mother in law's to jump start juggernaut yesterday

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is something that has struck me recently, and thats how nearly all the private hires, Ubers , Addison Lees and the like are now running around in EV Ioniq's, Nero's ID3 and 4's and MG's. Are they going to be the (affordable used) cars that you avoid after being cabbed?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is something that has struck me recently, and thats how nearly all the private hires, Ubers , Addison Lees and the like are now running around in EV Ioniq's, Nero's ID3 and 4's and MG's. Are they going to be the (affordable used) cars that you avoid after being cabbed?

Probably more to do with Sadiq Khan in London, more than anything else, how else do they make a living without EV in London