The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
He said the rear brakes were 100% worn and needed immediate attention and yet the MOT said
Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin.
No mention of the offside at all.
If both the rear brakes were 100% worn, the car would have failed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He said the rear brakes were 100% worn and needed immediate attention and yet the MOT said

I really think your barking up the wrong tree with his review , have you seen some of the others he has done? He is incredibly postive about EVs

He has posted a balance view that will raise a few questions from both sides of the fence

Nothing wrong with it imo

I've had cars go through with ZERO advisories on the mot but on the "health sheet" mentions needs changing

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, the wheels are not removed in an MOT, so I don't see how the tester can tell how worn the pads might be.
If the brakes work as required on the rolling road, the car will pass. The pads could be 99.9% worn out.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, the wheels are not removed in an MOT, so I don't see how the tester can tell how worn the pads might be.
If the brakes work as required on the rolling road, the car will pass. The pads could be 99.9% worn out.

And yet the tester was able to see the nearside were wearing thin but the offside were fine.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had an advisory on my last mot for front pads. So they must look but like you said, if it passes ?‍♂️

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And yet the tester was able to see the nearside were wearing thin but the offside were fine.

Still think you are being far to nit-picky of his video

He's very good in his delivery and style.

He's done so many postive videos for EVs and just highlighted that they don't use brakes a myth

What about this video of his?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I see from the still of the video that the Leaf appears to have alloys with large holes between the spokes.
So my guess is that the tester was able to see through and note that the nearside caliper was further in than the offside one.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Regardless of ICE or EV, I’d be more concerned about one set of pads wearing unevenly to the other, especially rear pads.

Methinks something is not quite right there.

Could be as simple as a sticking sliding calliper, was on my old Fiesta; stuck one the piston side did all the work and wore out quicker.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
At 8:58 he said ''a lot of people say you never have to replace the brakes''
I've never heard anyone say that.
People do say, and it's true, that the brakes last a lot longer thanks to regen braking, around 100,000 miles compared 20,000 miles for ICE cars.
He was saying that both back brakes were 100% worn to disprove the false myth about the everlasting brakes.

D

Deleted member 23270

At 8:58 he said ''a lot of people say you never have to replace the brakes''
I've never heard anyone say that.
People do say, and it's true, that the brakes last a lot longer thanks to regen braking, around 100,000 miles compared 20,000 miles for ICE cars.
He was saying that both back brakes were 100% worn to disprove the false myth about the everlasting brakes.
Depends on the car, my 3 litre diesel with auto box has massive amounts of engine braking. Drive leaving a sensible gap in town and I hardly use my brakes.

4LEX

Visit site
I was answering the mans question as he was unsure of charging speeds.
And yes, the Model S is £36k, not quite as much as a BMW M3 for the same year but it costs around £110 to fill it every time, especially at 30 mpg, not forgetting the £315 road tax and how much is a BMW service/oil change?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203103397378?radius=1500&include-delivery-option=on&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=relevance&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=ng348xf&make=BMW&model=M3&page=1&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

An old M3 would be 100 times more fun to drive than a golf buggy on steroids though ;)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, 2 full and a part day of my EV experience. Firstly, the Ioniq… build quality is questionable at best. Interior is very plastic and the touch screens are more “hit hard screens”. Looks the part inside but the actual quality isn’t there.

Driving, it’s pleasant enough if a little sterile and soul-less. The suspension is way too soft for my liking (yes that is subjective) and it wallows a little in corners, very noisy tyres.

Braking system is very spongy at some points and then razor sharp when you least expect it, whether it’s a design fault or there genuinely is an issue with this car I don’t know but it’s certainly annoying.

It accelerates well, as you’d expect from an EV but it’s not an “exciting pull” from standing start.

It’s not dislikable, just not entirely likeable. So it’s a bit of a Switzerland job.

Charging. I have only had to charge it once as it was delivered with 1/4 battery (about 50 miles on the range computer), so plugged in the charger in the garage and left it overnight. Fully charged in the morning but no idea how long it took.

I’ve done 87 miles in it and it’s currently at 1/2 with 102 miles of range. Not sure if that’s good/bad/indifferent.

Now, the free Tesco charging… been to Tesco on Friday evening and again yesterday morning. Both occasions the chargers were occupied when I arrived and the same cars were still connected when I left. So although it’s free, it was of absolutely no use to me.

I did find a charge point available at the bakers in a nearby village but couldn’t t use it as I wasn’t buying anything. That one seems a bit odd as how long do you spend in a bakery?

I have it for another week, so this is just early findings and I am sure that if I lived in a more urban area it wouldn’t be as bad but it’s not a major issue for me as I have the plug in charger they supplied but the concept that out and about is gravy for charging is one that seriously doesn’t match reality, certainly round here anyway.

I am still looking to go EV next time I change my car but it certainly won’t be a Hyundai Ioniq as, to me, it’s just not a good car.

As I say, early findings from actually now having to live with an EV. And I also caveat that this is my subjective view based on the current infrastructure in MY area. I don’t care if your town or Tesco has a million charge points, mine doesn’t and accessing them is pure chance or a feat of engineered timing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, 2 full and a part day of my EV experience. Firstly, the Ioniq… build quality is questionable at best. Interior is very plastic and the touch screens are more “hit hard screens”. Looks the part inside but the actual quality isn’t there.

Driving, it’s pleasant enough if a little sterile and soul-less. The suspension is way too soft for my liking (yes that is subjective) and it wallows a little in corners, very noisy tyres.

Braking system is very spongy at some points and then razor sharp when you least expect it, whether it’s a design fault or there genuinely is an issue with this car I don’t know but it’s certainly annoying.

It accelerates well, as you’d expect from an EV but it’s not an “exciting pull” from standing start.

It’s not dislikable, just not entirely likeable. So it’s a bit of a Switzerland job.

Charging. I have only had to charge it once as it was delivered with 1/4 battery (about 50 miles on the range computer), so plugged in the charger in the garage and left it overnight. Fully charged in the morning but no idea how long it took.

I’ve done 87 miles in it and it’s currently at 1/2 with 102 miles of range. Not sure if that’s good/bad/indifferent.

Now, the free Tesco charging… been to Tesco on Friday evening and again yesterday morning. Both occasions the chargers were occupied when I arrived and the same cars were still connected when I left. So although it’s free, it was of absolutely no use to me.

I did find a charge point available at the bakers in a nearby village but couldn’t t use it as I wasn’t buying anything. That one seems a bit odd as how long do you spend in a bakery?

I have it for another week, so this is just early findings and I am sure that if I lived in a more urban area it wouldn’t be as bad but it’s not a major issue for me as I have the plug in charger they supplied but the concept that out and about is gravy for charging is one that seriously doesn’t match reality, certainly round here anyway.

I am still looking to go EV next time I change my car but it certainly won’t be a Hyundai Ioniq as, to me, it’s just not a good car.

As I say, early findings from actually now having to live with an EV. And I also caveat that this is my subjective view based on the current infrastructure in MY area. I don’t care if your town or Tesco has a million charge points, mine doesn’t and accessing them is pure chance or a feat of engineered timing.

The Tesco points are normally taken by black cabs round here..the local sports centre has 10, at about all times 8 are taken by black cabs lol at least you can see online in real time when they are free

Do you know what battery size you got? 102 miles on half a tank with it being a bit colder out doesn't sound bad at all

Have you played around with the regen braking?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Tesco points are normally taken by black cabs round here..the local sports centre has 10, at about all times 8 are taken by black cabs lol at least you can see online in real time when they are free

Do you know what battery size you got? 102 miles on half a tank with it being a bit colder out doesn't sound bad at all

Have you played around with the regen braking?

No idea the size, it's a courtesy car so got little to no details as to what it is/isn't.

Colder? It's probably as warm here the last two days that it will get through a year, in fact, I think that might have been our summer!

Not touched any settings other than adjusting the seat position and steering wheel rake and reach. I will probably have a look at it, but to be honest I have lower inclination to drive it unless required to. I need to nip to Aldi later so will be interesting to see their charge point availability.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
There will be some who won't be buying the Lotus Electre SUV

A much better looking effort from Lotus (especially in their trademark Yellow). With an anticipated £97,000 starting price, I imagine there will be most that won't be.

I did look at the Emira as a final hurrah to the IC but with production delays and minimal first orders being produced, I'll probably get my i4 first.