The all things EV chat thread

phillarrow

Visit site
I think that over the last 10 or so pages (maybe even more) it can be summed up as....

1. Some won't entertain an EV until they're forced to do so at some point way down the line.

2. Some like the idea of an EV but they're just not practical for them to do so given the current state so will stick with ICE until things change.

3. Some are pro EV and accept the present limitations and just work around them.

As things stand not going to change the minds of those in camps 1 or 3 so we're just going round and round in circles.
You missed...

4) Some people are so determinedly pro EV, that whenever others give genuine and understandable reasons why they're not yet ready to switch, they close their eyes, put their fingers in their ears, and say "La la la, I can't hear you, and if I close my eyes you've gone away." ??

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You missed...

4) Some people are so determinedly pro EV, that whenever others give genuine and understandable reasons why they're not yet ready to switch, they close their eyes, put their fingers in their ears, and say "La la la, I can't hear you, and if I close my eyes you've gone away." ??

Aimed at me I guess

phillarrow

Visit site
Still struggling to see the lighter side eh? ?

It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, but there have been several posts in this thread that seem to so determinedly ignore the genuine issues we still face with EV that they're just a bit pointless. Believe it or not, some of us don't go around trying to identify the posters we disagree with, and then argue with them just because it's them. I couldn't care less who it is that says these things, I'm just commenting on the posts themselves. ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Still struggling to see the lighter side eh? ?

It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, but there have been several posts in this thread that seem to so determinedly ignore the genuine issues we still face with EV that they're just a bit pointless. Believe it or not, some of us don't go around trying to identify the posters we disagree with, and then argue with them just because it's them. I couldn't care less who it is that says these things, I'm just commenting on the posts themselves. ?

The intent wasn't light when I was accused of talking a load of hypothetical and conspiracy nonsense.
And far from singing la la la, I tried to answer patiently the same doubts on range, cost, infrastructure over and over again, even to the point in post no. 2067 I acknowledged the concerns that some people have but still they are repeated ad nauseam.

Buy what you want, I don't give a monkeys

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I can only speak for myself, but I didn’t read through 100+ pages before I replied to this thread, so apologies if I raised the same concerns which have already been done to death.

I merely answered the original question - whether I would buy an electric car - and then explained my own position.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Hadn't really considered electric before but this thread has intrigued me a bit. My petrol lease car ends in December. so starting to think about my next car. Since retiring and with the pandemic, most of my journeys are less than 30 miles. Wife has a diesel BMW 1 series so on the face of it an EV could work for me. If we needed a bigger range we could take the BMW. The lifestyle change could mean a smaller car would be OK, as long as the clubs fit in the boot!

Can I ask 3 questions - apologies for the lack of knowledge (and it might have been covered earlier).

1. Could only justify buying used. Is there a real risk that battery life will have been reduced by bad charging practices (I have read what is recommended)?
2. I might sometimes go a couple days without using the car. Does battery charge drop if it's sat (unplugged) on the drive?
3. How do servicing costs compare with ICE (presumably cheaper)?

Thanks in advance.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Lots and lots of going round in circles here with some folk getting uptight.

So lets have a general Summary of the current position

EV's do not have an exhaust, so emmissions are zero, they promote cleaner air qualty.
EV's are great if you have a moderate distance to drive and have charging facilities at home or at work.
EV's are currently more expensive than ICE cars and this is a barrier to more people buying them.
The mining of minerals to make EV batteries is an ongoing issue of some concern.
The Rapid Charging infractructure has improved over the last 3 years, but still has a very long way to go.
Lamp post charging is now quite common in London, but these are not rapid chargers.
EV Range needs to improve and also charging time, when we get to 350/400 miles range rechargable in 15 minutes will be a major landmark.

As more people switch away from ICE cars, the governments revenue from fuel will drop and need to be replaced
is there anything I have missed?

D

Deleted member 23270

Please see post no. 2067

You do know in 2011, you could only buy one EV, a Nissan Leaf which had a range of about 80 miles on a good day, cost around £30,000 and there were around 1,500 chargers in the UK.
Today, there are more than 130 to choose from, many of which are well below £30,000 including the MG5 (250 mile range) and there are presently over 50,000 connectors.
Think where we'll be in another 8 years time.
Indeed. In 8 years time I'll give serious consideration to an EV ?

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Hadn't really considered electric before but this thread has intrigued me a bit. My petrol lease car ends in December. so starting to think about my next car. Since retiring and with the pandemic, most of my journeys are less than 30 miles. Wife has a diesel BMW 1 series so on the face of it an EV could work for me. If we needed a bigger range we could take the BMW. The lifestyle change could mean a smaller car would be OK, as long as the clubs fit in the boot!

Can I ask 3 questions - apologies for the lack of knowledge (and it might have been covered earlier).

1. Could only justify buying used. Is there a real risk that battery life will have been reduced by bad charging practices (I have read what is recommended)?
2. I might sometimes go a couple days without using the car. Does battery charge drop if it's sat (unplugged) on the drive?
3. How do servicing costs compare with ICE (presumably cheaper)?

Thanks in advance.

Good questions
1 possible, but unlikely, even ICE cars have reduced engine efficiency after a few years
2 Only in really cold weather, we had EV demos on our forecourt for days on end with no loss of juice
3 Less moving parts, therefore cheaper, unless you are talking about replacing the battery.

D

Deleted member 23270

If you are doing 350 miles per day, the Tesla S would be your best bet at 298 miles of range and if you use the Tesla superchargers you can add 200 miles in 15 minutes and for some cars that is FREE FUEL.

So on Monday you drive 350 miles with one stop of 15 minutes.
And on Tuesday you drive back with one stop of 15 minutes.
Total distance.... 700 miles
Total cost..... 0
You realise that the Tesla S is considered a luxury car for a reason.....price. Way out of range for the majority of people. You may as well have said if you want to go 350 miles in a day take a private jet.

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
If you are doing 350 miles per day, the Tesla S would be your best bet at 298 miles of range and if you use the Tesla superchargers you can add 200 miles in 15 minutes and for some cars that is FREE FUEL.

So on Monday you drive 350 miles with one stop of 15 minutes.
And on Tuesday you drive back with one stop of 15 minutes.
Total distance.... 700 miles
Total cost..... £73900

You missed out the price of the car Bob, out of the price range of the vast majority even on lease

PhilTheFragger

Visit site