The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When it comes down to it, that's probably (not really any probably about it) not the right decision from an environmental perspective. But the alternative still wouldn't be an electric car as it's simply not viable for me - it would be an MPV with a small turbocharged petrol engine. I enjoy driving, I'm sure I'd enjoy driving an electric car, I just can't afford one that meets my needs.

Have you looked at the Skoda Enyaq?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Porsche, Audi e-tron etc are not the normal cars that the general public tend to buy en masse.
Most of us will want to replace our family hatchbacks and saloons.

I think it's improving at every level.

Plenty that just look like their combustion equivalent, particularly in smaller cars, the 208 as an example, the Golf, Mini, loads of them.

The cost argument is compelling, the appearance argument I think is becoming increasingly less compelling.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you looked at the Skoda Enyaq?

Given the size of child seats these days, there are very few cars that can fit three across the second row unfortunately. The q7 can, even things like the XC90 struggle. From a practical perspective, an MPV can't be beaten, I just can't do it....

The Tesla Model X is a very good large family car, but it's tremendously expensive.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I never even looked at the badge, it was the light design that made me thing Tesla Roadster. Nice looking from the front, but like the BMW 6 Series, it's like they gave up and went for drinks when they got to the back.

To be fair, it's only going to be ICE drivers who are going to see it from the back :whistle:
Just kidding.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Talking to an old guy on holiday. His brother works for Bentley. He said the future of cars are hydrogen not electric. How far have we got on that one ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Talking to an old guy on holiday. His brother works for Bentley. He said the future of cars are hydrogen not electric. How far have we got on that one ?

Hydrogen would still be electric. Just the hydrogen fuel cell will power the motors rather than a lithium battery.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

Hydrogen ain’t dead yet, not by a long way.
Fully expect to see lorries, busses etc going down this route, but the current infrastructure is rubbish.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ending the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2030 may not be realistic because the electric vehicle charging network isn’t close to being ready, a government advisory report has warned.

Sir John Armitt, head of the National Infrastructure Commission, said there was a “real risk” to the deadline because of the slow progress of installing new electric chargers.

Drivers will not switch away from fossil fuel cars quickly enough if they are not confident of being able to charge electric vehicles, the commission warned in a report published on Wednesday.

The electric vehicle charging network is “significantly behind where it needs to be” and without more chargers, drivers “will not have the confidence to make the switch to electric vehicles”, the report warns.

“There is not yet a visible core network of rapid chargers across the country, and significantly more publicly available charge points, including on street charge points, will be needed by 2030,” it says.

Estimates suggest that around 280,000 to 480,000 chargers will be needed across the country by 2030 to fulfil demand from drivers. Currently there are around 28,000.

The report also said confusion about how infrastructure projects will be paid for has delayed progress on net zero, including progress towards cleaner freight, heating and transport.

Funding confusion holding up delivery
“Delays to decisions on who pays are now holding up delivering infrastructure, including low carbon heat and energy efficiency. Open and honest conversations, followed by clear decisions, are needed to address this,” it warns.

A new subsidy being launched next month will offer householders £5,000 towards the cost of an electric heat pump in an effort to cut emissions from boilers used in home heating.

But the government has also been urged to improve funding for insulation and energy efficiency, which would cut costs for households as the cost of living crisis bites as well as reducing emissions.

Sir John added: “At a time of significant global volatility alongside concerns about rising living costs, we appreciate that sticking to a long-term strategy is not easy.

“But it is the only way to address the stubbornly difficult problems that will not become any easier or cheaper to solve by delaying action – and the quicker we tackle them, the quicker society and our environment will reap the benefits.”

A spokesman for the Department for Transport said: “We are providing over £1.3 billion to support the continued roll-out of charge points at homes, businesses and on residential streets.

“Our upcoming EV Infrastructure Strategy will soon be published, which will set out our vision to create a world-leading charging infrastructure network across the UK.”

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The problem is the infrastructure. Petrol and diesel are relatively easy to transport. Hydrogen, less so. I can see hydrogen being used for buses and trucks where the vehicle returns to its depot for topping up every night (our entire fleet will convert to hydrogen), but I think hydrogen powered cars for general use in cars is a long way off.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem is the infrastructure. Petrol and diesel are relatively easy to transport. Hydrogen, less so. I can see hydrogen being used for buses and trucks where the vehicle returns to its depot for topping up every night (our entire fleet will convert to hydrogen), but I think hydrogen powered cars for general use in cars is a long way off.

Hydrogen may well be the way forward but don't you need electricity to generate it? ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think it's improving at every level.

Plenty that just look like their combustion equivalent, particularly in smaller cars, the 208 as an example, the Golf, Mini, loads of them.

The cost argument is compelling, the appearance argument I think is becoming increasingly less compelling.

As is the capability argument. I often do a day trip to Princes in the winter. In the ICE, uses a quarter of a tank, tops. In an electric, whilst on paper it has the range, when you're running lights & heating I couldn't trust the real world range on a lot of vehicles to get me there & back without charging on arrival; anyone seen a charger down there? And the more people that go electric, the more of an issue it will become.

As the report quoted above alludes to, I don't think this has been fully thought through in terms of infrastructure.

Is there a reason why the charging unit isn't built into the car, so that the car only needs plugging into the mains?