World Handicap System

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Gents as I posted #1237 please let me try and clarify. The guy wants a low handicap as he was previously off 8 no idea how long ago in Dubai.

He had 2 cards marked but not submitted, 89 and 79 Gross. He said yesterday he was going to submit a 3rd after being marked yesterday, he was not in our Group. When he shot 88 he said he was going to discard that card and have another card marked. Hope this makes sense.

Another simple question please. When submitting cards for handicap purposes is nett double bogey used for calculating initial HI. if so how please?

Many thanks
In our guideline we say players who have not submitted 3 cards can decide whether or not to submit a particular card. However in this instance the player needs to be informed that his initial card will be based upon the 79 and the others will be ignored. He should also be aware that he can submit 5 cards before any other card affects his H.I unless they are better than the 79.

Refer him to Rules of Handicapping Rule 5.2 (we have this displayed on our handicaps noticeboard).

A stat on another badly failing part of WHS, the PCC. Not sure if it was always there and I never saw it, or it's recently been added, anyway, we can now see the PCC change from every course on a given day.

So Sunday, 413 courses generated a PCC, and how many did it vary from 0 on? Eight. o_O
The EG system also has been expanded so you can look at PCC's from courses in your own region. So....looking at what I would consider to be the largest clubs in Suffolk since 1st April (which is pretty much when we started playing golf again) I can see that there were on average 48 days where clubs did not have the requisite 8 scores to even set off a PCC calculation (and that's assuming that when there were 8 or more scores that they met the rest of the qualification criteria such as handicap index below 36 and scores not being scaled up).

Of the remaining days where there were at least 8 scores submitted the following adjustments occurred...

-1: 0.9%
0: 92.5%
+1: 4.0%
+2: 1.5%
+3: 1.1%

Definitely a very conservative calculation is going on.

rulie

Head Pro
The EG system also has been expanded so you can look at PCC's from courses in your own region. So....looking at what I would consider to be the largest clubs in Suffolk since 1st April (which is pretty much when we started playing golf again) I can see that there were on average 48 days where clubs did not have the requisite 8 scores to even set off a PCC calculation (and that's assuming that when there were 8 or more scores that they met the rest of the qualification criteria such as handicap index below 36 and scores not being scaled up).

Of the remaining days where there were at least 8 scores submitted the following adjustments occurred...

-1: 0.9%
0: 92.5%
+1: 4.0%
+2: 1.5%
+3: 1.1%

Definitely a very conservative calculation is going on.
As it should be, imo.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
You're spot on, but what it's done instead is confuse most players because they look at the boards and think that's their course handicap. Total waste of money, and thoroughly counter-productive.
Agreed, I think Clint Eastwood called it a Cluster F***.
Far too many big changes were made to the rules and the handicap system at the same time .
A few minor tweaks and changes were probably needed, that was all, not a COMPLETE re write of almost everything.
OVERKILL.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
I did post #1237 and the ld hs still not been allotted a handicap. He has submitted 4 scores which would have given him a handicap of 7.1. No problem there. However he did have a WHS number from Dubai and submitted 3 scores in 2019 which he was not aware of when he submitted. This is a genuine mistake, no problem of cheating.

However my question is:Why were his details not transferred from Dubai. 1015002760 is his WHS number. Perhaps some of you more knowledgeable guys can show the way forward. Many thanks

I did post #1237 and the ld hs still not been allotted a handicap. He has submitted 4 scores which would have given him a handicap of 7.1. No problem there. However he did have a WHS number from Dubai and submitted 3 scores in 2019 which he was not aware of when he submitted. This is a genuine mistake, no problem of cheating.

However my question is:Why were his details not transferred from Dubai. 1015002760 is his WHS number. Perhaps some of you more knowledgeable guys can show the way forward. Many thanks
CDH numbers don't transfer between countries, his club needs to allocate a new one

wjemather

Thanks BB. What about his 3 scores from 2019?
The best thing would be to get hold of a copy of his Dubai handicap record, which would include all the adjusted gross scores, course details and PCCs. Any valid scores from that record would then need to be manually input onto the EG WHS system by the handicap committee at your club.

I'm not seeing anyone of the same (or similar) name on the EG WHS system other than the one with the CDH/membership number given, so it would appear that your club has not set him up on WHS (which will be why he doesn't have his handicap yet); in which case they should be adding his existing CDH as a member of your club, which will then include his 3 scores from 2019, before adding his recent scores.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
The best thing would be to get hold of a copy of his Dubai handicap record, which would include all the adjusted gross scores, course details and PCCs. Any valid scores from that record would then need to be manually input onto the EG WHS system by the handicap committee at your club.

I'm not seeing anyone of the same (or similar) name on the EG WHS system other than the one with the CDH/membership number given, so it would appear that your club has not set him up on WHS (which will be why he doesn't have his handicap yet); in which case they should be adding his existing CDH as a member of your club, which will then include his 3 scores from 2019, before adding his recent scores.
Thanks for such a helpful response, really appreciated

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
There was an18 and 9 hole Comp. at our place yesterday.

The results were published today see below:

Meanwhile in the 9 hole competition, Dave Pearson fought hard to claim the 9 hole competition victory. Sadly as Dave was the only entrant the score won't count!

Is this correct and his score was not on England Golf. I.e. not added for handicap purposes.

There was an18 and 9 hole Comp. at our place yesterday.

The results were published today see below:

Meanwhile in the 9 hole competition, Dave Pearson fought hard to claim the 9 hole competition victory. Sadly as Dave was the only entrant the score won't count!

Is this correct and his score was not on England Golf. I.e. not added for handicap purposes.
Number of entrants makes no difference, a qualifying score is a qualifying score

ger147

Tour Winner
Thanks BB.

Can he win The Comp? Not his fault that nobody else entered.
I don't think there is any issue with cancelling the comp as a comp on the basis of just a single entry, assuming his entry fee is refunded.

But as mentioned above, the score should absolutely count as a qualifying score and be added to his handicap record.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Thanks BB.

Can he win The Comp? Not his fault that nobody else entered.
He can win the comp where I play but would get back less than he paid to enter as the club takes an administration fee from every comp to cover cost of engraving and trophies.

We often have just 2 ladies in the Saturday ladies comp.