World Handicap System

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
The old system had the continuous review in its latter years. If a player had 7 consecutive 0.1 increases, they'd be flagged on a report . This would hopefully be regularly reviewed by the handicap committee, and they could choose to increase the players handicap to a more appropriate value. There was also the annual review.
however the continuous review could only be used for 'declining golfers' and had a few catch 22s in it. When I used to do it only about 1 in 10 with 7 in a row got an increase.

Where I am we had a committee of 5 and often it was hard to get an increase over 2 shots despite it being very clear that a player needed a bigger increase.
It also often caused a lot of derision in the groups when somebody heard that a player had been increased by committee. When I had an increase it was investigated by the Captain following complaints by a couple of players. At least now nobody can dispute the numbers as all players records can be seen by all players.

Really? It was in CONGU's guidance (and emphasised in bold type).
"G6.2a Playing Handicap Calculation.​
...For GB&I, England, Wales and Ireland will be using the Rounded Course Handicap, whilst Scotland will be using the full calculated Course Handicap."​
Yes really. Nobody clicked what that meant, it was a new system you see? You'll see every course in Scotland (at least those I've played this year which is quite a few) have done the same as us. Because as you'll appreciate, the noise was loud on the changes, and as Scotland were diverging from the rest, the noise drowned out any message from Scottish Golf (from memory, nothing).

I tell my team that including something deep in the blurb doesn't absolve you from your comms/engagement obligations. I wish Golf Authorities thought the same.
Exactly this. It was possibly *the* most important part of the blurb, "ach lets just put it in the small print". Utter incompetence.

rulefan

Tour Winner
That’s why I said I am not sure yet.
A bad spell puts you up quite a bit then your playing off a cap higher than your capable of.
That’s why my club and others are seeing a raft of 58s ( there’s been two at my club) 60/61/62.
This was a very very rare thing for anyone to shoot but now it happens every week .
The players are not improving that much so I can only put it down to the handicap system.!

The course hasn’t changed much for years so for me par is a very good indicator!
Slope is 129 par 72. it’s not extremely difficult but it’s not easy.
Remember, under CONGU everyone had to play the course as if they were scratch players.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Except for viewers in Scotland. The board is meaningless except in matchplay, because they didn't tell us that the exact decimal point would be used in CH also before converting to PH, so every club ordered the standard boards which just confuses everyone
I don't know who supplied your boards but certainly the major suppliers knew.

Remember, under CONGU everyone had to play the course as if they were scratch players.
Yup, and I've said for years now there was nothing wrong with the old system, just the course ratings.

Should have sent out a range of mid-handicaps to course rate. Call it the SDS if they like (Standard Duffer Score), but to base course ratings on guys who will take out a 5 iron off the tee on mid-length par 4s was always ludicrous. That was the issue, not the handicap system.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Yup, and I've said for years now there was nothing wrong with the old system, just the course ratings.

Should have sent out a range of mid-handicaps to course rate. Call it the SDS if they like (Standard Duffer Score), but to base course ratings on guys who will take out a 5 iron off the tee on mid-length par 4s was always ludicrous. That was the issue, not the handicap system.
It wasn't course rating per se. Apart from the England Golf Union (as was) all CONGU unions and associations have used the USGA course rating system for at least the last 12 years. It was CONGU's failure to take on slope.

*our*

I guess like said above, they didn't grasp it, like we didn't. Not one club is showing a decimal calculation for course handicap that I've yet seen.
To be honest though....it is utterly impractical to produce a lookup table that shows CH to even 1 decimal place....it would pretty much have a line in the table for each Index....they wouldn't be able to be grouped to show 3.1 to 4.2 = 4 for example. Never understood as an outsider looking in, why Scottish Golf went this way.

Maybe someone just decided that the computers would sort everything out and the players/committees wouldn't need to worry about it. ;)

wjemather

You are of course describing the Bogey Rating, which is a key component of the Course and Slope Rating system.

It should be noted, that if you created a system based exclusively on the good score for a bogey golfer, you'd have a system even more skewed than the one we had that was based exclusively on the good score for a scratch golfer.

Last edited:

wjemather

*our*

I guess like said above, they didn't grasp it, like we didn't. Not one club is showing a decimal calculation for course handicap that I've yet seen.
That is as it should be. Course Handicap boards should not show decimals - how would that even work?! You'd need a table with about 600 lines on it. The earlier implication was that you had Playing Handicap boards that had not been calculated correctly - are we to understand that this is not the case?

Last edited:

Kaz

Just had another decent medal round. Now have 5 of my last six scores counting towards my handicap. Hope I'm in similar or better form when they start coming off or the handicap could rocket up! :eek:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Yes really. Nobody clicked what that meant, it was a new system you see? You'll see every course in Scotland (at least those I've played this year which is quite a few) have done the same as us. Because as you'll appreciate, the noise was loud on the changes, and as Scotland were diverging from the rest, the noise drowned out any message from Scottish Golf (from memory, nothing).
The constant girning about this is not only tiresome but mistaken. Scotland alone of the CONGU countries is correctly following the WHS rules regarding the calculation of playing handicaps. Rule 61.b in the CONGU issue of the Rules of Handicapping is explicit in the part I've put in bold red:

Note: The calculated 18-hole and 9-hole Course Handicap is rounded to the nearest whole number, with .5 rounded upwards, for the purpose of:
Applying adjustments for maximum hole score (see Rule3.1) and when a hole is not played (see Rule 3.2).
Where applicable, calculating a Score Differential.
Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation.

And, surprise, surprise, guess what 6.1b in the USGA issue of the Rules of Handicapping states. YOu're probably ahead of me. It says
Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation.

The Australians put it slightly differently but it comes to the same thing:
The result of the calculation is rounded to the nearest whole number.

If you want to blame anyone for your club's getting the wrong course handicap charts, try blaming your supplier for perhaps not knowing that Banchory is in Scotland or the other CONGU countries for diverging from the worldwide rules and confusing the issue.

Last edited:
It wasn't course rating per se. Apart from the England Golf Union (as was) all CONGU unions and associations have used the USGA course rating system for at least the last 12 years. It was CONGU's failure to take on slope.
No it wasn't, SSS course ratings were all over the shop, clear discrepancies, because as you said it was down to how a scratch player would play the course that determined what your handicap was based upon.

To be honest though....it is utterly impractical to produce a lookup table that shows CH to even 1 decimal place....it would pretty much have a line in the table for each Index....they wouldn't be able to be grouped to show 3.1 to 4.2 = 4 for example. Never understood as an outsider looking in, why Scottish Golf went this way.

Maybe someone just decided that the computers would sort everything out and the players/committees wouldn't need to worry about it. ;)
You're spot on, but what it's done instead is confuse most players because they look at the boards and think that's their course handicap. Total waste of money, and thoroughly counter-productive.