Women playing in Mens' Comp

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
This morning we had a woman enter what is technically a men's comp. It was a "best 2 from 4" stableford, someone cried off so a chap got his wife to play. Newport 71.9/131 Reds 73.3/125

I remember playing an Pairs Open at Wells this summer where some women were playing and I got an extra shot as a result (which surprised me!) Wells: 69.1 / 127 Reds 71.4/125

Help! How do you work out amendments, if any??

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Medal play: subtract the lower course rating from the higher and those playing the higher (more difficult) receive the difference. 73.3 - 71.9 = 1.4
Stabelford:

Skytot

Visit site
Medal play: subtract the lower course rating from the higher and those playing the higher (more difficult) receive the difference. 73.3 - 71.9 = 1.4
Stabelford:
Thanks for the explanation, me and my mates were wondering why we got a extra 2 shots yesterday in a Stableford.
Reds 73.3. - 71.5 whites = 1.8 so 2 shots

wjemather

Visit site
Thanks for the explanation, me and my mates were wondering why we got a extra 2 shots yesterday in a Stableford.
Difference in Course Ratings is the adjustment for regular stroke play (medal).
The adjustment for Stableford is somewhat different and is the difference in play-to-handicap scores, i.e. {36 - (Course Rating - Par)} [edit] rounded to the nearest integer.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must have fallen asleep before writing up the stableford bit - which is different from medal stroke play because points are awarded against the par of each hole and the allowance depends on how many points you need to gain to play to your handicap. You need to let us know the par of each course to work out the allowance.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a potential mixed, individual stableford, comp coming up - men playing off white and women playing off red as follows.

Men's White - CR 67.6, Par 68 so [36 - (CR - Par)] = 36.4
Ladies Red - CR 70.4, Par 70 so [36 - (CR - Par)] = 35.6

So the difference between Mens White and Ladies Red is 0.8. Rounded = 1

Am I correct in this instance, that the Ladies get one extra shot on their handicap for this comp?

wjemather

Visit site
We have a potential mixed, individual stableford, comp coming up - men playing off white and women playing off red as follows.

Men's White - CR 67.6, Par 68 so [36 - (CR - Par)] = 36.4
Ladies Red - CR 70.4, Par 70 so [36 - (CR - Par)] = 35.6

So the difference between Mens White and Ladies Red is 0.8. Rounded = 1

Am I correct in this instance, that the Ladies get one extra shot on their handicap for this comp?
Not quite, as the play-to-handicap score is an integer. So the men's is 36 points, and the women's is also 36 points, meaning there is no adjustment.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Not quite, as the play-to-handicap score is an integer. So the men's is 36 points, and the women's is also 36 points, meaning there is no adjustment.
I don't think that is right. On Page 35 of CONGU's guide to WHS, they show an example of the calculation and the difference in CR is to 1 decimal place.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Difference in Course Ratings is the adjustment for regular stroke play (medal).
The adjustment for Stableford is somewhat different and is the difference in play-to-handicap scores, i.e. {36 - (Course Rating - Par)} [edit] rounded to the nearest integer.

So in the Newport example, White 71.Red 73.3, what should happen in a Team stableford?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I don't think that is right. On Page 35 of CONGU's guide to WHS, they show an example of the calculation and the difference in CR is to 1 decimal place.

Have you got a link to this guide?

(Page 36 of the one I've looked at (the R&A /USGA guide to handicapping) doesn't have that sort of calculation on it.)

On page 35 of file:///C:/Users/ipmil/Downloads/WHS-Rules-of-Handicapping-1.pdf

Was going to ask the same!

wjemather

Visit site

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find the title of this thread a tad puzzling. I suppose the OP might have meant to write Men and Women in a Competition or even better still, Mixed Tee Competitions.