Winter Wedge Bounce - Bunkers and Muddy Turf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With the wet weather arriving and bunkers getting wet (if not out of play) and softer lies here for a while, what is the best type of bounce to use as online advice seems to differ. Some talk about a low bounce for the harder compact sand but then a higher bounce for wet conditions. I have a 10 degree 58 degree wedge I use in bunkers and around the sand but went to a 6 degree bounce in the practice bunker yesterday and that worked really well. It was OK off bare lies that were still reasonably firm (where the water hadn't sat and it been able to drain and dry) but wasn't so hot out of the boggier areas. Is 10 degrees and optimum "all rounder" or do I need more or less bounce

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Taking bunkers only, I've tried both extremes. I had a SureOut which has all the bounce in the world, for a couple of years. It was great in fluffy sand, but when there was not much sand or it was hard in winter, pretty useless. I don't use it at the moment, I've gone to a 9 bounce 60° instead - open the face a little, and when the sand is hard I try and get a little steeper and chop down on it a little more. That's my best chance of getting out, if I catch it a bit clean then it's flying over the green, but I really can't ask for too much when the sand is like that. Just happy if I get out in one.

I don't think lots of bounce is any good in hard sand, because it does what it says on the tin and bounces off the surface, knifing the ball into the face of the bunker. With less bounce you can come in steeper and cut through the surface a bit easier maybe.

For my 50 and 54 I'm using the CBX Zipcore, so plenty of bounce and cavity backs. I just find them more confidence-inspiring for pitching around the greens no matter what the conditions are like. I can chip pretty well with that 54 now when I need a bit of loft, whereas my old lower-bounce 56 was more of a knifing machine in my hands. Rather than change the wedge/bounce when it's wet, I just put the ball maybe half a ball further back in my stance to try and avoid the fat shot - ball flight a tad lower but if the greens are soft it should check up quicker so it balances out.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on bounce or grind by any means, just giving my own experience.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Our bunkers are unpredictable all year, and often firm. The key to playing them is to square the face a little and take some bounce off. Wet lies, toe down.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the ground is very soft and the bunkers compacted the advice for bounce for each will be different.

High Bounce for wet ground
Low bounce for compacted sand

Personally when the sand in bunkers gets compacted I tend to use a standard 52 wedge and aim to dig the leading edge in to the sand to go under the ball.