Winter Membership

Thread starter #1

Traminator

Hi,
Never done it before but considering a winter membership somewhere dry-ish.

Looking for any suggestions probably within an hour of Watford area, the coasts are probably a bit too far so any sort of heathland recommendation welcome.
It seems it's either this or sit in all winter getting fat(ter) πŸ˜‰.

Many thanks in advance.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Hi,
Never done it before but considering a winter membership somewhere dry-ish.

Looking for any suggestions probably within an hour of Watford area, the coasts are probably a bit too far so any sort of heathland recommendation welcome.
It seems it's either this or sit in all winter getting fat(ter) πŸ˜‰.

Many thanks in advance.
Your best bet would be a downland course on chalk - somewhere like Ellesborough which is ok or Gog Magog - both drain very well. Heathland you could look at Frilford Heath or Blackmoor

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
I'd be surprised if you found anywhere decent within an hour that offers winter only membership. Might be wrong though. Most places are struggling to get everyone a game with daylight now anyway, in light of increased tee time gaps and higher demand

Might be better off looking at annual country membership somewhere.

DRW

Tour Rookie
I'd be surprised if you found anywhere decent within an hour that offers winter only membership. Might be wrong though. Most places are struggling to get everyone a game with daylight now anyway, in light of increased tee time gaps and higher demand

Might be better off looking at annual country membership somewhere.
yeah think that is a big problem at the moment, most courses are currently bombed and busy and now have waiting lists, unless you wish to travel to certain areas/courses.

I know Orsett in Essex is meant to be free draining as healthland iirc but I believe only offer full membership and probably has a waiting list.(maybe more than an hour anyway)

Thread starter #10

Traminator

Thanks for the suggestions and comments so far.

Country membership isn't something I thought of but a good shout.

Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to do the research for me, so if people want to just name courses they know are good through the winter, I'll take it from there.

Thanks πŸ‘

Blue in Munich

Professional Yeti Impersonator
Your best bet would be a downland course on chalk - somewhere like Ellesborough which is ok or Gog Magog - both drain very well. Heathland you could look at Frilford Heath or Blackmoor
I understand the course is okay but at least a couple of the members are dodgy... :whistle:

(This response will probably be moderated very quickly ;))

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
It'll be interesting to see if you can get somewhere within an hour. Doubt any would offer country membership that close either. The logic is sound though as it'll give you the best chance of playing throughout the winter. I imagine many will suffer, and go down to nine holes or shut completely at some point

Thread starter #15

Traminator

It'll be interesting to see if you can get somewhere within an hour. Doubt any would offer country membership that close either. The logic is sound though as it'll give you the best chance of playing throughout the winter. I imagine many will suffer, and go down to nine holes or shut completely at some point
I have actually found one place that does staggered-price country membership 42 miles away, and is half way through the membership year.
As always, the suggestions are great.