Winter Leagues

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My golf club has never run a winter league before but have said they are starting one in the new year, which is largely welcomed by the members who carry on playing in winter.

What I'm not sure about though is that they have said they will, where possible, be qualifying events. Mainly down to whether the course is long enough or not. To me though there are other factors to consider. No rough, the ball stops on sixpence most of the time, most of our bunkers are out of play at the moment.

My fear is that I will play the winter league and get cut to a handicap I cannot possibly play too when the main season starts in the Spring. Are they allowed to run them as Non Qualifiers? What happens at other people's clubs?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ours is 4BBB Match play in 2 Leagues - 3 points for a win, 1 for a half, bonus point for winning 5&4 or better,

Shotgun start at 8-30, preset fixtures, nice and sociable as all meeting in Clubhouse after. No issue of qualifiers as matchplay. Only downside is having to be committed to the fixture list, but subs are allowed.

Very well supported and the winter league dinner is legendary

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Leagues are inherently match play events; either singles, 4bbb or foursomes - that bits irrelevant.

So I'm not sure what your club is actually doing.

If it's a series of stroke play events then there's no reason not to run them as Q events when appropriate.

There's no doubt some golfers find winter conditions suit them, but others find issues. These factors aren't a whole lot different from the extremes of course A or course B at other times of the year - anywhere that has seasons will experience this.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We use to run it as a league playing 4BBB (usually eight groups and the top two in each qualify for knockouts) but when we had the wet winters a few years ago it didn't get finished until April or May so they've reverted to straight knockout. I miss the groups as you could usually have one off day and still have a shout of getting through