Winter is coming!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had our weekly club comp today, turned up and had a sign stating it was preferred lies on the fairway! We have had quite a lot of rain the past 2 weeks in NI and the course just cant keep up. Today we had rain for most of the morning but the remainder of the day was pretty warm (for NI) sunshine.

I did think this was really early for preferred lies, cannot remember a time we had them before the season ended.

Hopefully there will be another dry spell or the course will be a state for winter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I hope we're a long way from winter but a distinct nip in the air. Horrific showers and a thunderstorm this afternoon and the rough now very thick but the greens beginning to hold again. Dark around 7.30 though. Winter definitely coming

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Played this afternoon and waterlogged fairways - balls plugged on landing on greens - then the heavens opened and dark when I got back and it wasn't even 7pm

:( :( :( :(

D

Deleted member 3432

Its been winter up here in Cumbria for weeks. My home track is a bog and will be like that until next summer now.....

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I played today and while the weather was really beautiful, there is a certain chill in the air, especially in the early morning, and the first leaves start to appear on the fairways, making it difficult to spot the ball against the lower standing sun. So, I wouldn't talk of "winter" yet, but cannot deny a very autumnal feeling. Days are starting to be much shorter as well, which is actually my biggest issue with the autumn and winter months. I don't mind dressing slightly warmer or taking my brollie. But I hate it that I don't get to play or practice during the week at all, because there just is not enough daylight left after work.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played today and while the weather was really beautiful, there is a certain chill in the air, especially in the early morning, and the first leaves start to appear on the fairways, making it difficult to spot the ball against the lower standing sun. So, I wouldn't talk of "winter" yet, but cannot deny a very autumnal feeling. Days are starting to be much shorter as well, which is actually my biggest issue with the autumn and winter months. I don't mind dressing slightly warmer or taking my brollie. But I hate it that I don't get to play or practice during the week at all, because there just is not enough daylight left after work.

Winter is definitely here in Northern Ireland, as soon as it is preferred lies, that is winter for me! The darker nights absolute kill me, I swear it doesn't get light this quick during the spring!! Getting dark before 8 here now, really feels like a few weeks ago it was light until 10! We had a good winter last year and I believe we were only closed 1 weekend. Hopefully it is another good year, but with the way its started, i can't see that happening!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not sure that winter ever left from last year. Have deffo made my mind up that my next major investment is a waterproof cart bag. Been using my winter carry bag thought the summer and there just is not enough room for all waterproofs, jumpers etc etc.
I was on about this today coming over saddleworth moor this afternoon. The ground is already drenched ( with more to come this week ) it is not going hold much more and there will be some serious flooding this winter.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lovely weather out during Sunday's comp, but had to wear an extra layer for the first time in ages, and no shorts. Leaves are dropping off the trees, and very difficult to get 9 holes in after work now. Can't believe we're heading for winter so soon.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Cue the Indian summer #October and a drought warning :) layer up time, surely not time for Long Johns tho?

Sunday @ Kings Norton the paths were muddy already it's going to be very messy fast.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Judging by the view outside my window I'd say winters here, was looking forward to playing in the 'mid-week stableford' tomorrow but apparently we're in for high winds and it's gonna be persisting down for most of the day, great !...

If this is supposed to be 'late summer/early autumn' I'd hate to say what's in store for us over the winter months...