Wine - Baron de Ley reserve Rioja 2010

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow!
Bought a couple of bottles at Costco a few days ago and just opened one. Wonderful!! :D It is award winning from Decanter magazine. I will be back there this week stocking up in bulk!! It was circa £7/bottle - baaarrggaaaaiiinnnn!!!!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Wow!
Bought a couple of bottles at Costco a few days ago and just opened one. Wonderful!! :D It is award winning from Decanter magazine. I will be back there this week stocking up in bulk!! It was circa £7/bottle - baaarrggaaaaiiinnnn!!!!
Oh dear, could be a long round tomorrow if you finish off both bottles tonight.:mad:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Been talking to a couple of our EU friends of late, Austrian Chef at our course and Italian pals re wine.
They are of the ilk that they prefer there own country's wines because they are locally produced and are usually cheap and they know what they are drinking.

so where does that leave us Brits ?

Predominatly the wines in our supermarkets are from all over the world. Prices range from cheap to expensive. So how do we know a good cheap wine from an expensive rubbish one.

our Austrian friend said the best thing that happened to wine in Europe was when the great anti freeze scandal made a lot of wine producers look at how they made wine and a lot of younger family members became involved in making wines. That one was lost on me.

for the record its Italian wine for me.

C

c1973

French Red from the Rhone Valley appellation, end of debate! Imvho. :)

It's great when you stumble upon a cracking deal though.

D

Deleted member 1740

Oh dear, could be a long round tomorrow if you finish off both bottles tonight.:mad:

Don't worry Rich he'll probably spew up, fall asleep, then wake up and order a kebab after 2 glasses of wine :rofl:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I think that's what I was trying to say re deals, usually helps when you know what you like.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sorry but I have to disagree. A few years ago I would have agreed with you but I think some of the new world wines now are better :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

For consistency, within years, I'd certainly opt for Rhones as 'best'. For best value, Chile (Merlot) or Argentina (Malbec) take some beating. Strength of Aussie Dollar has priced them out of that area!

But, as stated, the occasional 'bargain' is great to find and Rioja (or occasionally Chianti) can produce them!

Speaking of the effects......How's the eyesight now Paul?

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I get through far too much Campo Viejo Rioja at the moment, normally between 7 and 10 quid a bottle in Sainsbury's. Lovely drop of stuff.

more recently have been dabbling in a bit of Malbec as well

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At a fiver a bottle Lidl's Tarragona Rioja is great value...
Even better when on promotion recently at £4.19!

Got a bottle of Puglia Primitivo for three notes this week at Tesco...
Perfect to have with an Italian style supper....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fennelsausagesbraise_86774

Plenty of great wines to be had without having to spend big money...

I tried the Aldi one and that is also good - I paid £5.50 i think but was told about it from a mate who said it was £4 - so that must have been the promotion price. I think this one from Costco is better but it is more expensive.

Hangover is more than acceptable for a Sunday morning so loading up the new lime green golf bag and putting on the nuclear lime green Under Armour T shirt from Blackmoor and getting ready for the thirg game since April!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried the Aldi one and that is also good - I paid £5.50 i think but was told about it from a mate who said it was £4 - so that must have been the promotion price. I think this one from Costco is better but it is more expensive.

Hangover is more than acceptable for a Sunday morning so loading up the new lime green golf bag and putting on the nuclear lime green Under Armour T shirt from Blackmoor and getting ready for the thirg game since April!

I have added your recommendation to the Costco shopping list for when herself gets there on her return from France... Don't think I'll be disappointed... Of the Aldi wines I like their Pinot Noir at just over £4 [went down well when reviewed on Saturday Kitchen]... Good to drink and perfect for when I do Coq au Vin...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coq_au_vin_15354

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As da had 2 varieties of Argentinian Malbec 50% off down to a fiver!!! My favourite ATM, but it changes regularly..... Spanish Barolo is also up there when on offer....

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have added your recommendation to the Costco shopping list for when herself gets there on her return from France... Don't think I'll be disappointed... Of the Aldi wines I like their Pinot Noir at just over £4 [went down well when reviewed on Saturday Kitchen]... Good to drink and perfect for when I do Coq au Vin...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coq_au_vin_15354

Also from Costco - I am also finishing off the last of Stark-Conde Cabernet Sauvignon, which i would also recommend - and bought one bottle of Kirkland Signature 2013 Malbec from mendoza, Argentina - not tried this yet but that should be on the menu for later post golf and curry :D