Windscreen replacement advice please!!

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi, I was hoping some of you may have some advice on this please. 2 weeks ago my windscreen got cracked, I rang my insurance (Aviva) who told me it was £75 through autoglass. Great I thought😎. Following a conversation with autoglass they gave me a date of the 28/3 which I accepted (they had to order the screen and had a backlog of repairs following the cold snap). I got a call today saying the new screen was broken and they would have to get another direct from car manufacturer and fit next week which they will confirm tomorrow
Do you think this is a reasonable time frame for the replacement or should I be complaining? I can't see any other course of action without making it a full claim with Aviva and paying the excess (250) plus losing my no claims. Any ideas?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
£75 will be be your excess for windscreen replacement so you shouldn’t be charged more if you complain. Most companies don’t treat windscreen claims towards NCD

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's a not so common car then no suprise the screen needs to be ordered in, and if the second new one has to be ordered from the car manufacturer will mean you will get the correct spec screen (some cars have thicker screens now to help reduce noise).
Nothing in this world is perfect, and accidents happen. However it is just a screen, and yours is still complete just cracked. Personally kicking up is a waste of peoples time, and I dont really feel you have grounds to. Unfortunately the new one is damaged, but better to wait for a good new one than have them put in a less than perfect one.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
One other thing as well please, is it legal to drive?
The crack is about 18-22" from the bottom corner on the drivers side angled up at 45 Deg and on the edge of my vision. It's also growing!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might be worth ringing Autoglass and mention that the crack is spreading. They may send someone to put something in the crack to stop it growing further. If not at least you have let them know the issue is getting worse and it may speed them up a little.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm not driving it LT - wouldn't want to be responsible for an accident because it suddenly got worse.
The crack is getting bigger through temp changes I think!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One other thing as well please, is it legal to drive?
The crack is about 18-22" from the bottom corner on the drivers side angled up at 45 Deg and on the edge of my vision. It's also growing!
It may well be an MOT failure by the sound of it, but it's unlikely you would be punished for driving with it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It may well be an MOT failure by the sound of it, but it's unlikely you would be punished for driving with it.
you can be fined and three points for a cracked screen.
But the law is a bit vague on this , looks like its up to the police when they pull you over.
If they consider it hampers your vision you get done!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you can be fined and three points for a cracked screen.
But the law is a bit vague on this , looks like its up to the police when they pull you over.
If they consider it hampers your vision you get done!
Of course, but unless the screen has been put in by something like a brick a single crack in a laminated screen isn’t going to affect vision that much....plus you need to be caught, which we all know is unlikely when you see the number holding a phone, cars with bald tyres, illegal number plate spacing etc every day out there.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well the phone call came!
They have sourced a genuine windscreen which arrived on the 5th and they can fit the 13th as they need a level 6 technician to calibrate it! After a bit of a chat re wait they tell me I can go to the fitting centre on the 7th. Still a wait but winning! They have also agreed to try and send someone to fill it with resin in the next 2 days - brilliant tip LT😀