Windows Vista and wi-fi problems???

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Dear All.

Anyone have any realistic advice on how to get Vista to remember my PC's Wi-Fi settings?

Last week my laptop kept droppong the wifi connection, having worked perfectly for the last couple of years. Having then spent nearly 3 hours on the phone with my ISP and installing a brand new router, for some reason my laptop has decided that it will not hold onto the wifi details, meaning I can only go online via the ethernet cable.

The ISP (Plus-Net) have been very helpful, but have gone through every possible issue they can manage and now feel the only cause is something baesd in the OS.

I have tried windows auto update but this has proved fruitless in solving the problem. Am I looking at a complete reinstallation??

Hope someone can help - and no I'm not about to buy a Mac before people start suggesting it.

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had all sorts of problems with windows vista refusing to recognise my IP address when using my dongle for a connection.
I couldn't get the problem sorted. In the end the only thing that cured it was changing to windows 7.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
my work laptop does it all the time in vista, I have win7 on laptop and kids pc's and they are solid as a rock, not the ideal solution but vista is pants anyway :)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Try this
Apologies if you have already tried it

Start, Control Panel, Network and sharing centre
Look at the left margin
Click "Manage Wireless Networks
Find your network on the list and wipe it out
erase it, get rid. Apply

Close these windows and return to desktop
click the network icon (bottom right by the clock)
and connect to your network in the normal way.

Does it work?

If not Go into your router and take out the wifi security keys (just temporary guys)
Can you connect unsecured?
If so you may have to try with a lower security type like WEP.

PM me if you get stuck on any of these areas

Is Windows controlling the wifi or is there a program belonging to the wifi card.

may be worth letting windows have a go , if this is the case

Cheers

Fragger

PC Hero To The Gentry

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
"remembering" the settings is unlikely to be the issue.

From time to time, I have issues - most often cleared up by removing all the wireless networks (in network and sharing centre) and letting windows re-find the wi-fi and re-set up the SSID and passphrase OR turning the router on/off.

There are countless problems with wi-fi, some of which are to do with the manufacturers of the routers, the wi-fi adapters "inside" the computer, the way the router reacts to switching off, the possibilities are endless.

Some of my Mac gear fails to connect (intermittent), sometimes my Linux struggles, sometimes my vista laptop is the only thing to work. I had a friend with an ASUS laptop who NEVER managed to connect to her orange broadband (no joke).

If vista doesn't "remember" the SSID and passphrase, there's something up....is the network listed?

Ideally, try some logic - you need to;

Try another device at home and
Try your computer on someone else's wi-fi and
Try a USB wi-fi dongle also.

If you can build up a picture of what works and what doesn't you might have a chance.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I presume that the router is close to the PC
so we can discount walls and floors as an issue

Have you tried another WIFi aerial, this would be the acid test,

If a different areial works then your original one is faulty
If its still wonky, then Windows is at fault and your only real option is to reformat

But do consider going onto windows 7 and not reloading Vista
and DO BACKUP all your data, as you will be wiping the hard drive clean

Come back if you need any more help, its not a problem

Fragger

PC Hero