Windermere GC + Appleby GC

Jason.H

Visit site
Just had a great 3 day break staying near Kendal. I played Windermere and Appleby golf courses and found them both exceptional. I also played Carus Green GC and personally don’t think I’d want to play it again.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not played Appleby for years. They used to do a, very popular, open week around Easter time. I remember the greens being brilliant.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Probably a touch bias but feel the greens @Ulverston are better and it is a more interesting course. Windermere have too many holes crossing each other and a few years ago spent around 720k to upgrade their greens. This became a burden and they have recently sold part of The Club and huge changes are planned.

Appleby has some interesting holes especially the blind par 3 about 15. Found Appleby an extremely friendly Club.

Jason.H

Visit site
Probably a touch bias but feel the greens @Ulverston are better and it is a more interesting course. Windermere have too many holes crossing each other and a few years ago spent around 720k to upgrade their greens. This became a burden and they have recently sold part of The Club and huge changes are planned.

Appleby has some interesting holes especially the blind par 3 about 15. Found Appleby an extremely friendly Club.
Thanks I’ll look forward to playing Ulverston when I’m next in the area. We are planning to live in the Lake District in a few years so a favourite golf course could sway location decisio.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
How would these courses be for high handicappers? We’re looking at possible places for a society trip somewhere up North later in the year, handicaps vary from low teens to very high hackers though.

D

Deleted member 3432

How would these courses be for high handicappers? We’re looking at possible places for a society trip somewhere up North later in the year, handicaps vary from low teens to very high hackers though.
Appleby is lovely, up on the moors just you and the golf course.
Short, less than 6000 yards but still a decent test for the better golfer and more than playable for the higher handicapper.
Just need to avoid the area during the Horse Fair week when it's under siege with 'Travellers'

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

What are they going to do at Windermere?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Appleby is lovely, up on the moors just you and the golf course.
Short, less than 6000 yards but still a decent test for the better golfer and more than playable for the higher handicapper.
Just need to avoid the area during the Horse Fair week when it's under siege with 'Travellers'
Do they still have the Gun range there .?
That was loud scared the ,,,,,,. Out of me first time I played it.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Windermere have too many holes crossing each other and a few years ago spent around 720k to upgrade their greens. This became a burden and they have recently sold part of The Club and huge changes are planned.

I have played at Windermere in the last two Senior Opens and I am struggling to think of any holes that actually cross each other.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
How did you do in the opens at Windermere? I wanted to play the opens at Appleby but it was booked solid.
Did a bit better in the second one once we had an idea of where we were going.
I am new to the Seniors Section, the first thing I have noticed is that the Opens tend to book up well in advance and a lot sooner than the regular opens.
I have been looking at trying to get a game at Appleby, always hear good things about the course, will maybe try and get up there this year.

Jason.H

Visit site
At Windermere I joined a member so didn’t have any trouble with navigating the course at least until the 18th when even he struggled to find the 18th tee box. I don’t think the last couple of holes were as scenic as the rest of the course.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes you are right, not as scenic as the rest but some good holes, I feel as though the 18th is a little odd, what I mean is it seems out of place and is not a good finishing hole, it feels a better end to the round at the top of the hill on the 17th.

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
The 18th at Windermere really lets it down. Nice course and greens but I thought Appleby was superb.

Cumbria has some really great and underated courses:

Brampton
Silloth
Seascale
Appleby
Ulverston
Carlisle

Jason.H

Visit site
The 18th at Windermere really lets it down. Nice course and greens but I thought Appleby was superb.

Cumbria has some really great and underated courses:

Brampton
Silloth
Seascale
Appleby
Ulverston
Carlisle

There’s a few interesting holes at Appleby like the 15th I think. Looking forward to playing the other courses you mention.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hopefully I’m playing Windermere in September as we’re off there for a mid week break that’s also our UK honeymoon