Wind on the driving range

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The pros at my local range were telling me that the wind today is expected to blow right down the range in the direction of play. It is a Top Tracer range and during the wind on Monday, they recorded a shot of 375 yards carry by a local long hitting customer. One of the pros is a pretty long hitter but could only manage 365 yards.

I wonder if 400 yards is on today for a well flighted shot during a well timed gust?

Last edited:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Screenshot_20220218-082306_Toptracer.jpg

My mate is the second one on here. He's a big hitter anyway (regularly over 300 yards carry) but he took advantage of a breezy day to put this monster out there.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We have Trackman and one of my mates recorded a 1000 yard drive last week. He was thrilled to bits until I pointed out it was probably down to a software glitch ?

sunshine

Visit site
Top tracer only picks up the flight of the ball shortly after it is hit, and then it extrapolates the trajectory. It's not tracking the full flight of the ball, so I don't see how wind could have a huge impact on the distances recorded.

I'm sure there is a ballistics expert on here or at least someone who is good at physics (or talking balls) who can provide a better insight.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Top tracer only picks up the flight of the ball shortly after it is hit, and then it extrapolates the trajectory. It's not tracking the full flight of the ball, so I don't see how wind could have a huge impact on the distances recorded.

I'm sure there is a ballistics expert on here or at least someone who is good at physics (or talking balls) who can provide a better insight.

The range near me uses InRange, which tracks each ball's flight into the field. It therefore is wind effected. Quite fun this morning!

HeftyHacker

Visit site

Is that right? I ask because my distances definitely change depending on the wind and all the range targets are obviously measured and calibrated too. Would make it pointless if you were doing the target practice game (as an example) and it ignored the wind - you could land it right on the target and you'd be miles off on the top tracer.