Will Armlock putters get banned

Fabia999

Visit site
Hi All,

I was very close to buying an armlock putter as they help with my putting. After talking to a PGA Professional he thinks they will be banned in a few years therefore I now feel like it would be pointless buying one.

I know lots of people want them banned or happy to keep them but what do you think will happen? Can you see them getting banned in the future?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There will be no ban on armlock putters.

What might happen though is that they might change the rule about all clubs being in contact with the body to include a section above the wrist.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If they are banned in a few years, I suspect it will start at Pro level and take quite a few years to filter down to our level (presuming you are not a pro :p) so I wouldn't worry. Probably worry more about your mates taking the mick!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they are banned in a few years, I suspect it will start at Pro level and take quite a few years to filter down to our level (presuming you are not a pro :p) so I wouldn't worry. Probably worry more about your mates taking the mick!
That does not tend to happen though, does it? If a ban is brought in it will be across the board, not just for pro's.

On the point mentioned, I don't see the clamour to ban them that was around for the longer putters. They irritate a lot of people but it is not more than that at this stage.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That does not tend to happen though, does it? If a ban is brought in it will be across the board, not just for pro's.

On the point mentioned, I don't see the clamour to ban them that was around for the longer putters. They irritate a lot of people but it is not more than that at this stage.

It did with wedges and grooves etc.

Was it not the same for broom handles as well or am I imagining things?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Broom handles went across the board. You could well be right about wedges and grooves, I can't remember.

Personally I am all for separate rules for the pro game but whenever this gets raised people start to hyperventilate and we hear that otherwise unused word, bifurcation o_O, as a negative

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Wasn't there talk of bifurcation of rules between pros and amateurs in the most recent R&A/USGA report? Either way, I don't think that they will be banned.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Ive got an armlock putter i bought in the winter, there no magic bullet, ive never actually replaced my standard length putter.

Any thought that having it pushed against your arm means the face is syable is a fallacy, you can still manipulate the face more than enough to miss a tap in. Distance control is a relearning exercise that could take months to get back to current level

Its turned into a useful training aid for me, as it does stabalise the left wrist, but after having had one for 6 months, I havent seen enough of an improvement for it even to replace my standard length, never mind be banned....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's certainly possible and that's one of the reasons I've not indulged and bought one. I would hate to spend £300 on a putter that a year later I'm not allowed to use and I can't even give it away much less sell it. :LOL: I just decided to carry on with my 35 inch putter with the top inch of the grip above my hands and pressed into my left wrist - like a miniature version of arm-lock. :p

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Broom handles went across the board. You could well be right about wedges and grooves, I can't remember.

Personally I am all for separate rules for the pro game but whenever this gets raised people start to hyperventilate and we hear that otherwise unused word, bifurcation o_O, as a negative

broom handles have never gone

The only change has been how you may hold them

hence my comment in post #2

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
broom handles have never gone

The only change has been how you may hold them

hence my comment in post #2
True, but I think with arm locks it's a bit different, because if they don't let you lock it to the arm it renders them completely useless. Just a stupidly long putter with too much loft then. :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its tricky though isnt it using lead hand low can achieve almost the same "lock" so I'd say the horse has well and truly bolted....
That's true, it would be much harder to ban arm lock in terms of how you define it. Because as I mentioned above, I have about an inch of the grip above the hands that touches my wrist, so there would be some debate about whether that classes as armlocking or not.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Not really clear what you do, if the butt of the putter is above your wrist joint, then its armlock for me. But as i mentioned, if you're lead hand low then your trail hand is above your wrist joint....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never tried one .
Could they be reconfigured to a standard loft ,lie and cut the shaft down if they were banned.
It wouldn’t be that hard I am assuming.

D

Deleted member 23344

I don’t know why they didn’t just specify that the putter has to be the shortest club in the bag.

D

Deleted member 15344

They will get banned when multiple pros start winning majors with them ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Hi All,

I was very close to buying an armlock putter as they help with my putting. After talking to a PGA Professional he thinks they will be banned in a few years therefore I now feel like it would be pointless buying one.

I know lots of people want them banned or happy to keep them but what do you think will happen? Can you see them getting banned in the future?

I’m slightly confused as to why you wouldn’t buy one now, purely because a pro THINKS they MAY be banned in a few years. That’s pure speculation, may not happen, and even in the event it does if you buy one now you get a few years’ enjoyment from the game whilst you continue to seek a long term solution to your putting problems.

A no brainier, surely.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m slightly confused as to why you wouldn’t buy one now, purely because a pro THINKS they MAY be banned in a few years. That’s pure speculation, may not happen, and even in the event it does if you buy one now you get a few years’ enjoyment from the game whilst you continue to seek a long term solution to your putting problems.

A no brainier, surely.
Or you buy a £350 putter, 6 months later they announce arm lock will be banned and it's suddenly worth £3.50. ?