Wifi kitchen appliances

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So the kitchen oven popped.. thinking of getting a new one. Looking around.

I can see neff and others now doing ovens which are wifi enabled. Personally that is one more thing that can go wrong.

Anyone has tried one of these puppies?

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
why?

what do you gain from having it wifi enabled?
The thing that almost convinced me it might be useful was the idea that you could switch the oven on remotely... you load up whatever needs cooking before you go out for the day and then tell it to come on to finish when you know what time you’re going to be back - a more flexible delayed start capability.

But that seemed like such an infrequent requirement that I didn’t bother.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just replace the element.

Unfortunately it’s not the element, one of the knobs came off.. tried to push it in and it broke the little stick it sits on.. I suspect that has snapped clean off the pcb/panel behind. Getting a part (50-£100) and and engineer visit (£150-200) .. it’s a 10+ yr old Smeg. Just cheaper to get a new and more efficient one.

Also trying to claw back some brownie points after having told the Mrs that we won’t be going ahead with the kitchen extension.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The thing that almost convinced me it might be useful was the idea that you could switch the oven on remotely... you load up whatever needs cooking before you go out for the day and then tell it to come on to finish when you know what time you’re going to be back - a more flexible delayed start capability.

I agree.. I can’t see the point either. From a security point of view it wil be another thing on the network to worry about

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To me, it’s a pointless feature. An oven should be pre heated before you put food in it. Don’t do a slide and hide either, the doors are far to complex for their own good.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I can do that with my bog standard fan oven. Just set the timer.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To me, it’s a pointless feature. An oven should be pre heated before you put food in it. Don’t do a slide and hide either, the doors are far to complex for their own good.

Was not aware. Mrs likes the idea as she has seen it elsewhere.. tnx for the headsup

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
You are seeing more Wi-Fi enabled appliances and for me, in lots of cases, it's a feature without a benefit.
Our home has a number of smart features, mainly plugs run from our Google Home, but I've put them in where I see a real benefit.
It's like Wi-Fi enabled tumble dryers. I'm not sure what real benefit they give.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
we have wifi enabled ovens. Do i use it? no. The only thing its good for is keeping the time correct.

But I could if I want, turn the oven off/on etc from anywhere in the world! Great when it has a quick heat button that fires it up to 200c in under 5 mins.

I can see the ONLY possible reason it could be handy, is if you were one those 'did I leave the oven on' people... then you could check....

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have slide and hide doors. They are brilliant. Makes putting stuff in and getting stuff out much easier.
I agree they make access into the oven easier, but apart from some loss of capacity in the oven cavity they are a nightmare if the complex mechanism plays up.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's all spying..
They now know what you're cooking, washing, drying, freezing etc etc and they can send you targeted advertising...
What with that and the chip in your vaccine - they know everything....:oops:;):whistle:

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
I can do that with my bog standard fan oven. Just set the timer.

I get that, but to do that you need to know when you’re due to get home before you leave, my point was that WiFi let’s you start it when you know when you are going to get home… as I said probably useful, but not enough to make it needed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have slide and hide doors. They are brilliant. Makes putting stuff in and getting stuff out much easier.
We are having ‘slide and hide’ for our new NEFF main oven. My wife has to be very careful taking stuff out of a hot oven as she has lymphoedema in her right arm and a burn could be very problematic never mind painful. Slide and Hide means she can stand right up close to the oven and not have to stretch her arms over the door - plus picking up a hot oven dish becomes a lot easier. We’ll take any issues that the feature might have if and when they turn up.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only benefit I can see to wifi on an oven is if it has a meat thermometer that feeds to the temp back to your phone. I use a meater thermometer that does that and it helps get the roast bang on ever time.