Why White Socks?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The white shoes thread got me thinking, why white socks have to be worn with shorts on a golf course? Seems very odd. I mean in this day and age we can get any colour socks we want, so why do golf courses insist on white socks?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Something vary rarely seen the seen days as a club requirement.

For me it is all about comfort I have yet to find a true sports sock in other colours, mind you even the white ones are getting hard to find now.. What are labelled as sports socks are rarely that - too thin and wear out very easily. Not seen a cotton towelling sock in years.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Disappointing to see our website for visitors state socks should be "predominately" white. Plenty of tales on here when this subject has been discussed before of people being challenged in the car park over their sock colour and even having to buy socks from the pro shop to be allowed to play

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So to conclude......no one knows? Makes it worse really. Oh well.

For those who can't find white socks, pop in to Matalan. They do Wilson white socks. Good quality and cheap.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So to conclude......no one knows? Makes it worse really. Oh well.

For those who can't find white socks, pop in to Matalan. They do Wilson white socks. Good quality and cheap.
At the clubs that I belonged to that had 'white socks with shorts' requirement, it was because coloured socks looked naff. I had no problem with that attitude, though there were plenty of examples of naff looking apparel that complied with the requirements.
I think the only code at the course I currently play at is 'No Jeans on the course' (ok in the clubhouse) and no metal Spikes.