Why does a hook go further than a slice ?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hooks are also usually a good clout with delofted club right? Slices are glancing blows with an increased loft.

Think thats about right

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
need to be careful about the terminology!

a draw and a fade hit on the same trajectory will go the same distance, but they rarely are; the fade tends to be hit higher and with more backspin.

a full hook will generally have a lot less backspin....

(a ball hit with topspin won't leave the deck at all!)

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha ha ha - i was waiting for the word "topspin" to appear

let's see if we can make this one runs to as many pages as the OBFL/NBFL one :)

I'll go and find some more trick questions ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't know how far you can hook your ball Sev but Bubba can fade/slice (and probably thin) his twice as far! :D:thup::ears:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The golf ball does not spin in two directions, it has a single axis of rotation. If the ball curves in flight then the axis is tilted.

If a ball has forward spin (topspin) it will have generally been topped and will dive into the ground. All other shots have backspin.

Slices tend generally to be created by steep swings that create high spin rates. This will send the ball on a high trajectory where the ball drops steeply with little roll out as the spin slows.

Hooks tend to generally be made by more rounded swings that create less spin and shallower trajectories. The ball will roll out more on landing.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
The golf ball does not spin in two directions, it has a single axis of rotation. If the ball curves in flight then the axis is tilted.

If a ball has forward spin (topspin) it will have generally been topped and will dive into the ground. All other shots have backspin.

Slices tend generally to be created by steep swings that create high spin rates. This will send the ball on a high trajectory where the ball drops steeply with little roll out as the spin slows.

Hooks tend to generally be made by more rounded swings that create less spin and shallower trajectories. The ball will roll out more on landing.

Don't disagree with this but why does a "rounded swing " create less spin than a "steep swing". The logic of more or less spin is absolutely fine, but i cannot (at the moment at least ) work out why one generates more or less

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't disagree with this but why does a "rounded swing " create less spin than a "steep swing". The logic of more or less spin is absolutely fine, but i cannot (at the moment at least ) work out why one generates more or less

Its to do with the effective loft at impact.

Imagine the ball is a big beachball and you are striking it with your hand that is set back with a fixed 45 deg of loft. Lets consider three conditions:

1) You strike the ball where your hand is on an upward path.

2) You strike the ball where your hand is on a horizontal path.

3) You strike the ball where your hand is on a descending path.

What effect would you expect these three conditions to have on the flight of the beachball?