Why can't you do it then?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The majority of comment and advice in this section is offered by guys who, judging by their h'cap s, should be applying some of it to their own game.

Why is that? Why can't you hit it how you like to tell others how to hit it?

Not interested in opening any argument about teachers not being players- mourinho, wenger etc.

Just interested in why you can't apply your own advice to your own game.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just because you have the knowledge doesn't mean you have the ability. I've had stacks of lessons so know a fair bit about the golf swing, but due to lack of practice and ability I'm still a hacker.

It's like the old saying "Do as I say, not as I do"

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can talk a good swing but doing it is a whole different ball game :(
its called watching too many vids, reading too many articles and then thinking I am a golf swing guru... wrong. I know nowt haha

I think I am doing it then see a vid and think omg, my posture, grip, backswing, downswing etc is crap!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've often thought that but refrained from mentioning it. You can trawl through my 2.5k posts and you will not find one piece of playing advice or comment, although I did once have a half-hearted tilt at "stack and tilt".

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The majority of comment and advice in this section is offered by guys who, judging by their h'cap s, should be applying some of it to their own game.

Not interested in opening any argument about teachers not being players- mourinho, wenger etc.

I like this :thup:

Something I too have wondered for a while. My take on it is this. I very rarely comment on a swing video. Simply because I know very little about the golf swing and its mechanics. If I see a video where someone is standing a mile open or closed I may pluck up the courage to post, but rarely. I knows my place :mad:

I'm in the middle of a battery of lessons and already my swing looks and feels much better. Do I know why? Yes, but only because my pro took the time to show and explain what I was doing wrong and how to put it right (Swing drills), I couldn't have done it myself.

I suppose the question really is, what defines an expert? Knowlege? Qualification? Experience?

D

deanobillquay

Some guys even say you cannot use certain clubs unless you're a certain handicap....

Most advice on here is better taken with a pinch of salt. If you want to improve, get lessons.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

it's a great question, I reckon it because many simply regurgitate what they have seen/heard becuase it sounds vaguely right. They have no idea how to apply it practically, otherwise as you say they would do it themselves.

The Wenger/Mourinho example doesn't stack up when it comes to the practical application of the golf swing, chess or psychology may be a better comparison to draw for them.

There is a reason that the PGA has a minimum handicap requirement, I'd be reluctant to take any advice from someone who couldn't show me how the shot was hit.

there are exceptions, but not many. Someone off a double digit handicap, unless there are old/wise & have been lower, should refrain from commenting

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im smiling to myself reading this ,the elephant in the room ha , i remember many moons ago asking why do people not list handicaps in their sig , & if the handicap was there would it change your opinion on the advice given..

It got varyied replys lets say ..

But hey look , people who do give advice with good intentions have to be applauded , you dont have to take any of it just apreciate the time taken to give it , personaly i very seldom comment on them threads except maybe to say i wish i could swing like that ..
i got to a lowest of 6.8 with a swing you wouldnt realy want , am changing my swing to try get lower & im playing rubbish , so what do i know ?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

because everyone has an opinion.......including you ;)

Those that cant play, teach
Those that can't teach, write
Those that can't write or teach, come onto forums:blah: :blah: :ears:

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i think i know a fair bit about the golf swing had lots of lessons read lots of books and watched numerous video's played on and off for 20 years but i'm still off 14, and i don't mind admitting its because i haven't got the talent. (And the course i play at is very tough)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally I don’t tend to give swing advice, as I have no knowledge on the subject. Getting a bit more now I have had a couple of lessons myself.

Free the Lochwinnoch one;)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why do people ask for advice if they believe it will be supplied by Hackers who dont know anything about golf?

I give advice here on the basis that it is free of charge, it has been asked for and it may help someone. Regarding my golfing abilities, work that one out for yourself but I could give David Ledbetter and Butch Harmon a good game.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I rarely give advice because I'm not good enough to teach. I can see a fault in someone's swing but I rarely have a scoobie how to correct it.

As for giving it on a forum, often without seeing the guys swing... I leave it to those that know what they're talking about.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Putting your own advice into practice is difficult as more than likely you think you are doing what you are advising, when in fact you are not. I bet there's quite a few people on here who thought they swing like Adam Scott and then got a big shock....

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I do agree with this, but I think its the same across every sport. Listen to low level amateur footballers talking. Keep the ball on the deck, build from the back etc Really its about getting the ball up the park, forcing mistakes and battling harder than the other mob. But that doen't sound as good talking about it in the pub.

People tend to talk about sports, like the pundits do on TV. The difference between golf and football, is golfers are normally older, smarter and should know they're talking rubbish :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I played off 1.4 h/cap I consider that low enough to show that I can (have been able) to play the game to a sufficient level.

I've read, studied, analysed and played more than most. After quitting the game for 7yrs I don't really have the same URGE to get down that low, I might try but injury and enthusiasm have stopped me bothering.... and I'm not getting any younger. Would really like to try to get to scratch one day.... I think I have it in my wheelhouse :p