Why am i Hooking? (vid)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can someone give me some pointers on my swing?

Ive never had a problem with slicing, i tend to hook shots from the tee when they go wrong.

Occasionally quite a bad duck hook.

Sometimes they will be pushed right a little, but again with no slice.

This shot was a moderate hook shot..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMU_XirFciQ&feature=player_embedded

Bert,
Im no expert here but if that hole is a slight dogleg left and the fairway your trying to hit is over your left shoulder as im looking at the video.....Your address position looks very closed in relation to where your aiming the clubhead.......
Its just an observation though......

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh and i would introduce yourself to the Forum
too.....Its kind of an unwritten rule of everyday life on here....Hello by the way im Mike ;)....

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I paused it and got lucky....first "saved" picture shows the clubhead inside the line (the path) a micro-second before you hit the ball. Normally I'd expect the ball to be obscured (depending on camera height) from view 6" from impact. So, you're hitting pushes and draws and hooks....no surprise. You won't get any slicing action with this swing...and that's great.
If you want to kill the hooks, you've got to train your path. Easier said than done.
(Especially since I've been trying to calm down the exact problem for a few days!!)

As it's the rarest of the problems I ever have/had have, I cannot offer huge insight. It's a downswing sequence issue. On the way down, just before impact, your body (shoulders, torso and legs) are square to the target.....I'd expect to see it way more open. You're going to need a pro or a magic drill to put this right. You have the makings of a good swing there though.
:)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd say your grip is a bit too strong causing the clubface to close through impact.
When you take your normal grip, can you see any part of your left thumb?

bert011

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Dont get me wrong, im capable of hitting 7/10 straight drives.

I feel when i hook i 'get through the ball' too quickly.

Any good drills for the driving range?

B

birdieman

Slow down a bit.
Bert I have exactly the 'trouble shots' as you, I would say make sure you are swinging from the ground up, I mean start the down swing by unwinding the hips then torso then shoulders and arms.
When I do what you do (hooking) it's usually from leading the downswing with the arms first - often if you're trying to hit it too hard this can happen. Arms should be relatively passive, just following the body uncoiling.
Keep backswing smooth, slow and wide, make a good hip and shoulder turn and keep it slow in the transition, slowly from the top and accelerate into the ball via the body unwinding, don't hit with the arms.

My swing thought would be to 'slow down' as you've a decent action there, maybe just trying to kill it sometimes! :p

A

Alex1975

I think you hook because you have a hoodie on on the golf course :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's not a hook, it's a pull-hook. The ball is starting left of where you are aiming which means you have closed down the clubface (pointing slightly left) at impact.

First job is to sort out your alignment then work on your swing afterwards if it doesn't automatically fix itself.

(nb: a hook starts to the right of the target line before bending to the left like a banana)

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
Your aim does not help. Your sholders are facing left and you come in from over the top, hence the pull hook.

Try a lower and closer take away, take your tiem and line your body up correctly.

S

Snelly

Your grip is the reason. You need to have your left hand rotated slightly more to the left.