Who uses a 24 degree hybrid?

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my 5 iron with a hybrid as the 5 iron is letting me down.

Am I right in thinking that if I can hit my 19 degree hybrid 200 yards, that I'd be hitting the 24 degree around 180 yards? That would be perfect to replace my 5 iron.

Thanks

The_ACE

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a 23 hybrid and it is more of a 4 iron replacement, the extra head weight and slightly longer shaft means it goings further than a 4 iron even though it has similar loft

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you'd be lucky to get the full 180 out of one. The old theory used to be 12-15 yards per club in the longer irons. Titleist go 19/21/24/27 in degrees.

Possibly nearer to 170, as they do go a bit high! :)

I have a W/S fybrid in the 5 replacement spec. I take it on medal days (only) 'cause it's good for getting over the trees (2nd shot) on our 4th, 16th and 18th holes.

They're a bit silly, but useful at times.

Best to try one out with the other one to see for sure.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys. I now understand what I roughly need to be looking at when I try them out tomorrow.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
my 21 degree (ping g10) is classed as a 3 iron replacement. I have a 24 degree coming and going to drop the 4 iron. I would expect 170 - 180 with it as an average distance, my 21 goes approx 180-200 (depending on wind/temp etc)

I hit the 4 iron ok but feel a hybrid would just give me a bit more forgiveness

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Find out what degree your 4 and 5 iron are.

For me a 4 iron is 23 degrees, but for TM that would be a 5 iron so be careful.

you can't really generalise like this - TM GI irons have stronger lofts but deliver higher launch angles whilst their TP's have what traditional lofts but lower launch angles....you choose what suits.

not sure the relevance to hybrid/rescue lofts as these have entirely different dynamics again.