Who’s working?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So, after the instruction to go back if you could on Monday. Who’s employer has made them return?

My place hasn’t called anyone back at all. They’ve also refused peoples request for a rotated work force. 8 of 32 of us working. Some not working wish to be and vice versa. Holidays haven’t been cancelled unless we agree to it (all have), but refusing overtime and have requested any funerals we need to go to are covered by swapping shifts!

We made the call on furlough purely on profit margins not safety and can’t see it changing until government stops the scheme.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
have been working from home all the way through, just under 50% of the workforce have been furloughed. Doubt they will be back until things see an upturn and if it doesnt then expect there to be redundancies

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Might get to go back after July 4th....then again I might not...depends on how the numbers go
2nd spike = another month or 2....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm working, my firm, but our 3 staff are furloughed. They will come back when demand returns. As with Papas it is commerically driven, we can operate safely already. If furlough ended tomorrow then we would have to make at least one redundant, possibly two.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
On Furlough until Friday but hoping to get another 3 weeks before getting paid off.
Got my redundancy conditions today, used to be 1 weeks pay for every year, now government statutory is all we are getting, massive difference for me.

D

Deleted member 21258

I'm working and its been like full on pace and working 6+ days a week. Been a mare tbh, I'm not complaining as people in far worst position than me and happy to help.

Still miles behind on normal work, even working at extra pace and extra hours. Should ease off in October time at a guess:LOL:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'm working, my firm, but our 3 staff are furloughed. They will come back when demand returns. As with Papas it is commerically driven, we can operate safely already. If furlough ended tomorrow then we would have to make at least one redundant, possibly two.

I was quite surprised they extended the scheme unilaterally if I’m honest. I think some areas of employment really aren’t going to pick up for a year (hospitality). Whilst that’s the case I can see lots of other firms that employ quite a few staff milking the system. Our directors have set out plans since the furlough scheme that should mean we still make approx 30% of projected profits for the year. That would actually cover 80% of the furloughed staff wages.
Imo that’s totally not what the scheme is for.

I think a reduction to 60% of help from government with companies obliged to pay the additional 20% would have been a start. Or at least some sort of means test.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was quite surprised they extended the scheme unilaterally if I’m honest. I think some areas of employment really aren’t going to pick up for a year (hospitality). Whilst that’s the case I can see lots of other firms that employ quite a few staff milking the system. Our directors have set out plans since the furlough scheme that should mean we still make approx 30% of projected profits for the year. That would actually cover 80% of the furloughed staff wages.
Imo that’s totally not what the scheme is for.

I think a reduction to 60% of help from government with companies obliged to pay the additional 20% would have been a start. Or at least some sort of means test.
As you suggest, I was expecting him to taper the scheme today, leaving the scheme in part but making it less attractive each month. Equally I was expecting a level of targetted help, concentrating on those areas most hit, hospitality for example. This seems very generous, probably too generous, unless more detail will come out soon explaining otherwise.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’m off furlough, but working from home for the foreseeable future

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
As you suggest, I was expecting him to taper the scheme today, leaving the scheme in part but making it less attractive each month. Equally I was expecting a level of targetted help, concentrating on those areas most hit, hospitality for example. This seems very generous, probably too generous, unless more detail will come out soon explaining otherwise.
I’m gonna be harsh here, I would also think that certain sectors may need some realism. If recovery really isn’t possible then paying someone 80% when they would previously have been on jobseekers isn’t a healthy plan imo. Certain sectors will need staff and if too many are happy taking 80% of minimum wage and doing nothing it’ll create a second level on unemployment wages effectively.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I am very lucky - I always did 2 at home, 3 in the office, so switched to 5 at home seamlessly.

CEOs of my client co and my wife's co both issued emails today to say "carry on" as you are . I think our offices will stay closed for a while, they are operating ok as they are. But things in lockdown will need to move where safe to do so, m

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The company I work for have stuck to their planned review on 31st May. Won’t affect me though as I work from home permanently.

Long term, our 300 office count will reduce significantly in the future. 90% of our workforce are working from home successfully so there is no real need for such a significant real estate presence.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In office based military job and all been working from home since it all kicked off. I plans to return and when we do we have been told that 5 days a week in office will be a thing of the past. More home working and Skype meetings instead of just being in the office

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My office is about an hour and 20 mins away by train and tube so I shan't be going back there just yet. And if they ask me to they can jog on! Might as well ask me to rub my face in a Covid pie. Last seven weeks has proved I can do pretty much every aspect of my job from home anyway, so I have that to point to.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
My office is about an hour and 20 mins away by train and tube so I shan't be going back there just yet. And if they ask me to they can jog on! Might as well ask me to rub my face in a Covid pie. Last seven weeks has proved I can do pretty much every aspect of my job from home anyway, so I have that to point to.
To be fair it's currently only those that can't work from home that I was curious about.

Not surprised to see that companies would rather still keep people at home furloughed than pay them to be in office with little to do.....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There could be an awful lot of expensive city centre office space coming empty in the weeks and months to come. Not just from redundancies but from companies discovering office space is not needed in the same volume. More people working from home has to be a major cost saving compared to city rent and rates.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is working from home a long term option for some..? Short term or a day or two a week - doable almost anywhere.
Full time at home..?
I guess it depends on how much space you've had to give over to it.
Ok if you have a spare room but not every one has.
Although, as said, I can see a lot of big office blocks virtually empty as companies downsize their office space.