Which is my provisional?

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have started to mark my balls with a putting line and colouring in the number with a black dot. All of the balls now look identical and I wondered what would happen if I teed off and hit it left into the tree's... I then call a provisional and play near enough the exact same shot.... When we walk up I find both of them a yard apart and cant tell which was the first or second?

You could say don't cover the number on the ball but also I could have used the same sleeve to hit both which would mean they again couldn't be told apart.

What would happen in this situation? What ball would I play?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So in marking balls to try and make them more distinguishable you actually made them less so!

Simple answer is you need to be able to clearly identify your ball and by doing this you cant, use a provisional with different markings!

D

Deleted member 15344

Use a different marking or different ball for your provisional

In the situation I would suggest you play one ball as your provisional and put the other in your pocket and count it as a lesson for next time

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep, certainly seems the best advice but I am sure most people do the same thing to mark their balls?

By the way this never happened I just thought without the numbers now they all look identical which made me think of this...

Yes before you ask... very slow day in the office

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is a can of worms which should never have been opened. Luckily the rule makers know about people like you.

27/11

Provisional Ball Not Distinguishable from Original Ball

A player entitled to play a provisional ball from the tee plays it into the same area as his original ball. The balls have identical markings and the player cannot distinguish between them. Following are various situations and the solutions, which are based on equity (Rule 1-4), when the above circumstances exist and one or both of the balls are found within a search of five minutes:

Situation 1:One ball is found in a water hazard and the other ball is not found.

Solution 1:The ball that was found must be presumed to be the provisional ball.

Situation 2:Both balls are found in a water hazard.

Solution 2:As the player's original ball is lost in the water hazard due to his inability to identify it (see analogous Decision 27/10), the player must proceed under Rule 26-1 with respect to the original ball (estimating the spot where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard, if necessary – see Decision 26-1/17); his next stroke would be his third.

Situation 3:One ball is found in bounds and the other ball is lost or is found out of bounds.

Solution 3:The ball in bounds must be presumed to be the provisional ball.

Situation 4:Both balls are found in bounds, whether in a playable or an unplayable lie, and (1) one ball is in a water hazard and the other is not or (2) both balls lie through the green or in a bunker.

Solution 4:One could argue that both balls are lost. However, it would be inequitable to require the player to return to the tee, playing 5, when the player has found both balls but does not know which is the original and which the provisional. Accordingly, the player must select one of the balls, treat it as his provisional ball and abandon the other.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Geek alert re marking balls!

Get 3 different coloured pens and mark each ball from a sleeve with a different colour.

3 colours x 4 numbers = every ball from a new box is marked differently.

Sorry, carry on. :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I mark my balls in the same way, black out both numbers. If I have to hit a provisional then I only black out ONE of the numbers. If that then becomes the ball in play due to the other being lost I will black out the other number on the next tee.

Incidentally, McIlroy marks his balls exactly the same.......but I got in first!!! :sbox:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Geek alert re marking balls!

Get 3 different coloured pens and mark each ball from a sleeve with a different colour.

3 colours x 4 numbers = every ball from a new box is marked differently.

Sorry, carry on. :)
:clap:
Or....

Only Mark Ball when you are about to put it into play - and make sure it's a different mark!

Or.....

Ensure the 'spare' that you put in your pocket is a different number!

In the situation I would suggest you play one ball as your provisional and put the other in your pocket and count it as a lesson for next time

Well done getting it right this time, but guessing could easily get the player DQ-ed! Though if Stableford, only from that hole. Tjere can be times when the 2SP for returning to the Tee might be worthwhile (the 1st being the 'guess') even as the 2nd option of Playing 2 balls (3.3), though that has certain procedures that MUST be followed.

Last edited:

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Hi Guys,

I have started to mark my balls with a putting line and colouring in the number with a black dot. All of the balls now look identical and I wondered what would happen if I teed off and hit it left into the tree's... I then call a provisional and play near enough the exact same shot.... When we walk up I find both of them a yard apart and cant tell which was the first or second?

You could say don't cover the number on the ball but also I could have used the same sleeve to hit both which would mean they again couldn't be told apart.

What would happen in this situation? What ball would I play?

Both balls would be lost so you would have to go back to the tee and play another

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site