Which Handicap

Flash

Visit site
It is a required to show the players handicap on the scorecard. Does that mean the WHS handicap or the handicap for the tee box on the course being played? I see trouble ahead if this goes wrong.
Are you now also required to show the strokes received under penalty, if playing other than stroke play?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is a required to show the players handicap on the scorecard. Does that mean the WHS handicap or the handicap for the tee box on the course being played? I see trouble ahead if this goes wrong.
Are you now also required to show the strokes received under penalty, if playing other than stroke play?

Course handicap from all the guides I've seen

The comp computers will take care of the allocation for playing handicap etc

Flash

Visit site
We have three sets of tees excluding the red tees. Is it now a case of ticking the appropriate box on the scorecard to avoid penalty? I appreciate the computer will work the stableford points but that doesn't help the scoring of points for the marker. I know that is only required is to show the gross score but I think most would like to knowhow we are doing on the course

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
There's no such thing as a "WHS Handicap", it's the WHS Index. The course handicap is the only handicap you have & that's what goes on the card

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
We have three sets of tees excluding the red tees. Is it now a case of ticking the appropriate box on the scorecard to avoid penalty? I appreciate the computer will work the stableford points but that doesn't help the scoring of points for the marker. I know that is only required is to show the gross score but I think most would like to knowhow we are doing on the course
It's normal to put the nett score & points on the card, but if you get this wrong there's no penalty as long as the gross score is correct.

Flash

Visit site
Thanks all.
In a competition the computer knows which tees are being played. Will away scores be put in by the away course or are we still required to bring the card back and fill in the scores?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks all.
In a competition the computer knows which tees are being played. Will away scores be put in by the away course or are we still required to bring the card back and fill in the scores?
You need to check what procedure your HC committee have in place. Our club use the EG App for away scores but registering must be made before play and scores must be submitted at the end

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe arkers signature not required under Cvid rules

Your club should have a specified system for score verification. We use player marks their own card but the markers name must be on the card and clearly legible .
Your marker records your score in the markers column on their card. In that way one card can be compared against the other.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You still need to specify the Tee used for a general play card.

The marker is not verifying your Stableford points they are verifying the gross score on each hole so they do not need to know or record the stableford points.

Flash

Visit site
Thanks. You have missed my point about the stableford scoring. My handicap is different off each of the tees and the stableford adjustment differs by 2 shots making the marking confusing until the gross scores are imput into the computer unless theadjustment calculation is shown and agreed.,
I understand the situation regarding agreement of the scores with playing partners and the need for verification.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
As others have said, the only critical parts are gross score for each hole, course handicap for the tees being played, and signatures of player and marker (or other form of verification of gross scores). I don't find in particularly difficult to keep track of Stableford points in my head or on a card - how many net pars, net birdies, net bogeys have I had.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks. You have missed my point about the stableford scoring. My handicap is different off each of the tees and the stableford adjustment differs by 2 shots making the marking confusing until the gross scores are imput into the computer unless theadjustment calculation is shown and agreed.,
I understand the situation regarding agreement of the scores with playing partners and the need for verification.

Whichever tees you are playing from, you will have a Course Handicap and, if in a comp, a Playing Handicap - which will allow you to calculate stableford points.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So if you need it for your own benefit
As already said CH handicap must be on the card. You can put Playing handicap (95% in singles) on the card as points for the competition are based upon this.

However for handicap purposes use the Course Handicap for deciding when to pick up as handicap changes are based upon this and not PH.

Flash

Visit site
So if you need it for your own benefit
As already said CH handicap must be on the card. You can put Playing handicap (95% in singles) on the card as points for the competition are based upon this.

However for handicap purposes use the Course Handicap for deciding when to pick up as handicap changes are based upon this and not PH.

Thanks. It's important to know if I am accumulating enough points to beat my playing partners and essential, I would have thought, to know how many points I might need to make up on the back nine to play to par. Even more important on the 18th. Knowledge gives bragging rites!!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks. It's important to know if I am accumulating enough points to beat my playing partners and essential, I would have thought, to know how many points I might need to make up on the back nine to play to par. Even more important on the 18th. Knowledge gives bragging rites!!
That from a playing point of view puzzles me. Do you try harder and play better when you know you're needing to make up on the back nine? And should I infer the converse, that you slacken off when you start the back nine ahead of target? I am a naive sort of golfer who just tries to play to his best all the time. It doesn't work that well, but that's another story.

Keeping tabs on your points is easy. Put a circle round the SI of holes where you get strokes. After each hole, write down your gross score, subtract any stroke(s) you get and write down the points that gives you. Or something similar. But it's so simple that you'll have been doing that for years and I'm missing the point of what you're saying. :unsure:

Last edited:

Flash

Visit site
That from a playing point of view puzzles me. Do you try harder and play better when you know you're needing to make up on the back nine? And should I infer the converse, that you slacken off when you start the back nine ahead of target? I am a naive sort of golfer who just tries to play to his best all the time. It doesn't work that well, but that's another story.

Keeping tabs on your points is easy. Put a circle round the SI of holes where you get strokes. After each hole, write down your gross score, subtract any stroke(s) you get and write down the points that gives you. Or something similar. But it's so simple that you'll have been doing that for years and I'm missing the point of what you're saying. :unsure:
Been playing for the best part of 50years and always tried my best. Still trying to avoid my tendency to slice. These changed times are challenging for us old boys. Some of my fellow members have very little idea of the new innovations and are not taking too kindly to them. There is a need to tread carefully and nurse them through the changes

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been playing for the best part of 50years and always tried my best. Still trying to avoid my tendency to slice. These changed times are challenging for us old boys. Some of my fellow members have very little idea of the new innovations and are not taking too kindly to them. There is a need to tread carefully and nurse them through the changes

Reassure them that the only change is that you now have to check how many strokes you get for the particular course you are going to play. Otherwise, there is no change in what a golfer whatever his or her age might be has to understand and do - which is, to know that
in stroke play, you only have to write down your gross scores and a friendly computer works out your net score or your stableford points;
in singles match play, you get or give the difference between the two handicaps;
in four ball match play, each higher handicapper gets the difference between 90% of his or her handicap and 90% of the lowest.

If anyone wants to know more about how the engine works, they'll have to work at it, but if they just want to drive their handicap they have nothing new to cope with.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is the HC you have for a particular round not worked out before you start and written on the card?

Therfore, won't you just work out the stableford points for each hole based on the handicap written on the card the same way we have done forever?
Or have I missed something obvious.

I have only just got a handicap after 13 years off golf and am yet to enter a comp since regaining it.