Which golf course to join in Cardiff?

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Just after some advice -

I have recently moved to Cardiff around the Whitchurch area and I was wondering what the golf courses are like in the area?

There are three which I would seriously consider joining:

Whitchurch
Radyr
Cardiff Golf Club

They are all similar in membership fee and are all a similar distance away. Anyone have any opinion on the relative merits of these courses?

Thanks.

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site
I prefer Cardiff out of those three but it does get very wet in the winter and as a result can be closed a bit in the winter. Whitchurch is also nice and probably considered by most to be the best of the bunch, think they only recently dropped the hefty joining fee so your timing is spot on. I would have a round at each one and see which you prefer, at the end of the day it's quite a personal choice.
If you don't mind a 15-20 minute drive you have plenty of other options Vale Resort, Cottrell Park, Wenvoe, Celtic Manor etc. Most of which have more than one course and proper driving ranges.

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for your advice Simmb.

I have been a member at the vale and found the amount of societies the venue attracted made both courses extremely busy during the weekends. I think the same would probably be the case at Celtic Manor.

I've played both courses at Cottrell park regularly over the past few summers and I think they represent the best value for money in the area but I am looking to join somewhere that is more member focussed and is better maintained and maybe a little quieter.

I will try and get on Cardiff golf course this Sunday and check it out.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm a member at Radyr if you fancy a round? Great course that holds up well in the winter, friendly members, lots of comps etc..

Let me know if you want any further info.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Im not a member there but out of those three I would pick Radyr everyday. Great course, greens are fantastic tough layout which makes you think about your golf more than the average course. The practice facilities seem very good. Ive never had a bad experience there.