Which Driver

gur

Hacker
Visit site
Hi, I have lost a lot of length over the years and I am about to buy what could be my last driver, can anybody tell me which driver IS the longest off the tee, experience has taught me that not all adverts are quite honest.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Given that COR, MOI, head dimensions, etc were all fixed ages ago, in theory they are all the same. Certainly my last 5 drivers have added no length what so ever.

It is more important to get the right shaft, to optimise launch, with a head you don't mind looking at, in my view.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
See many many many etc threads passim.

There is no ONE longest driver, because golfers differ from one another and what optimises one's distance may balloon the ball or fail to get it flighted for another etc etc.

One that you like the look of, with enough loft and a suitable shaft will be plenty long enough.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
depends on what you want from it.Cobra long tom will prob be the longest as it has the longest shaft,but you are unlikely to hit the fairway at that length.Cleveland lightweight or taylormade superfast drivers can let you rip through the vall,or you can get fitted and give yourself a chance to hit the fairway.no point being long and wild,better to be a bit shorter and accurate.
with that in mund you can't go wrong with Ping G20 or Titlest O
910 D2 fitted

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Another vote for the Ping G20 or G15 ( reduced at AG )

I know somebody who has dropped the driver and got a decent 3 wood and he hits that further than the driver !

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi, I have lost a lot of length over the years and I am about to buy what could be my last driver, can anybody tell me which driver IS the longest off the tee, experience has taught me that not all adverts are quite honest.

gur, you're going to hear from a lot of folks suggesting x/y/z drivers.
The only way to maximise distance is to get a driver that gives you as close as possible to your ideal launch conditions for your swing speed and swing style.

I know, for example that a ball hit at 93 mph with just under 140 mph ball speed (as it leaves the face) is going to give me anything up 256 yards depending on my smash factor, launch angle, backspin rate and neutral side spin. I'm looking for about 14 degrees launch and 2,500 rpm backspin.

Sounds complicated? It is.

You have two choices. Try a few, and buy the one you feel goes the longest or get a fitting using computer help.

One man's 10 degree might produce the same as one man's 12 degree.

256 is the maximum I can get without extra summer roll, so if I pop one down 230-240 I'm happy.

I've got a G15 waiting for use when I finally fix my swing. Chances are it won't go further than my MX-700 but if/when I sort my problems out, it should be a better club.

I did hit a few balls through the end of the range with it (250, downhill) so I know it works.....

gur

Hacker
Visit site
Hi I dont like the idea of the long shafts myself but I have been giving the G20 a lot of thought, it gets an excellent write up

gur

Hacker
Visit site
thanks for the in depth answer, the general opinion is to go to the range or launch monitor and try a few, looks like a fun day to be had with the "experts".

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair, if u can get to a pro shop with lots of different drivers, or even direct golf or ag's u can test lots of different drivers and see what one gives u the best results. What's good for my could be the worst for u. Test lots of different drivers with different shafts and lofts. The usual big names produce good drivers. Just test it.
But most of all be open-minded.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair, if u can get to a pro shop with lots of different drivers, or even direct golf or ag's u can test lots of different drivers and see what one gives u the best results. What's good for my could be the worst for u. Test lots of different drivers with different shafts and lofts. The usual big names produce good drivers. Just test it.
But most of all be open-minded.

His is bang on! One mans long driver is another mans slice machine... I for instance hated the g20, but it's a by popular club, so it just didn't suit me... Try as may as you can and ignore brand names etc. for instance, I hit the Dunlop nz9, which ost people here would turn their noses up at, but it was great! My current fav driver on the market is the callaway razr x black.