Which ball - I'm confused??

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So had a Titleist fitting today as a demo day at my club. Interesting as had hit it nicely for 18 holes - straight or a soft draw and on the range was a high fade at best and slice at worst! Left to right wind but the stats showed I was slight out to in plus open club face...

Anyhow I can't remember the shaft he recommended but it was pretty :) Senior flex and a new one in the range. Also a 9.5 degree head cranked up to 11 degree to take out the fade I will get the specs from the pro in a few days.

That's by the by though - for now at least! The intriguing thing was he asked what ball I usually used "Srixon" :eek: So he said if I ever found a Pro V1 to not use it as the extra spin would exaggerate the spin I'm imparting on the ball with my driver. He suggested instead the Pro V1X and gave me a couple to try. I tend towards Srixon AD333 or Soft Feel and he said to stay away from the Z Star for the same reason as the Pro V1. I've read stuff about balls and spin but for some reason my less than logical brain just can't get it. I'd like to commit to one ball and one less variable but have never been sure what one...

So is the Pro V1X like the (cheaper!!) AD333 or Soft Feel or what?? Confused...advice please oh expert ones :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Pro V1x is the low spin version of the Pro V1. Exactly the same price too.

Ok so that's clearer. Why both though? I always think of Pro V for the top players so they all want spin?? How easy is it to compare spin "settings" for different manufacturers? Say Srixon, Callaway, Bridgestone and the new Mizuno (which I have 6 to try)?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm back with my trusty Callaway Hex Tour Blacks which really work for me. Anything that's too spinny and their gone so Pro V1's are a no no although the Pro V1x is better off the tee than the Pro V1. I tried the new Bridgestones the other week and they also exaggerated any slight imperfection.

It would have to be something very special now to move me away from my Callaway Hex Black Tours as there excellent off the tee and I like the feel around the green and putting.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll check out the Wilsons but also have a box of Callaway Hex Black Tours so might just take them to St Andrews next week :)

Thing is - I'm a bit tight when it comes to paying for golf balls :eek: If I'm honest the reason I've not committed to one type is probably 50% cost and 50% doubt. So when I find a decent quality ball of almost any type in the bag it goes!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I said this at the TM day that premium balls will cause a fade/slice to be more exagerated... I was mocked :(

He was adamant the Pro V1 would be a bad choice for me simply because of spin. I thought he was going to say I don't swing fast enough to compress it properly but nope - spin...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'll check out the Wilsons but also have a box of Callaway Hex Black Tours so might just take them to St Andrews next week :)

Thing is - I'm a bit tight when it comes to paying for golf balls :eek: If I'm honest the reason I've not committed to one type is probably 50% cost and 50% doubt. So when I find a decent quality ball of almost any type in the bag it goes!

Off your handicap I doubt you lose many so lets say a box of Hex Tours will cost £30 for 12, that's £2.50 each and lets say, without loss, you get a comfortable 4 rounds or more out of them, but 4 as an average with everything taken into consideration, that's 0.63p per round!

Is that expensive in the grand scheme of things to then stick to a single ball?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The Pro V1x is the low spin version of the Pro V1. Exactly the same price too.

You also have to remember Titleists previous marketing. The pro v1 is a 3 piece ball and the v1x is a four piece that used to be marketed for faster swing speeds due to its lower spin properties.

They don't market them this way any more.

I've found if I play a v1x the ball is noticeably shorter on most shots. The last time I played a v1x it was roughly half a club shorter than the standard v1.

In my experience it depends how much spin you create through your swing. My swing does not generate a lot of spin. To that end I can play the standard pro v1 with no issues. If I play a lower spin ball I lose distance.

This also applied to woods. My old Mizuno woods were low spin. My 910 series are mid spin. I get more carry (around 20 yards with the driver) with the Titleist simply because the mid spin properties make the most of my slow'ish swing speed.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love the hex tours, I will have to swap a lethal for one of them Robin ;)

there is always deals on them aswell which is a bonus, last time was buy 2 get one free or something.

I will say I have played my best golf using AD333, tried many others including DX2 but for some reason the AD just seem to be more consistant for me. Stick with what you know & like is my opinion.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
You also have to remember Titleists previous marketing. The pro v1 is a 3 piece ball Nd the v1x is a four piece that used to be marketed for faster swing speeds due to its lower spin properties.

They don't market them this way any more.

I've found if I play a v1x the ball is noticeably shorter on most shots. The last time I played a v1x it was roughly half a club shorter than the standard v1.

In my experience it depends how much spin you create through your swing. My swing does not generate a lot of spin. To that end I can play the standard pro v1 with no issues. If I play a lower spin ball I lose distance.

This also applied to woods. My old Mizuno woods were low spin. My 910 series are mod spin. I get more carry (around 20 yards with the driver) with the Titleist simply because the mid spin properties make the most of my slow'ish swing speed.

interesting as I too am a low spin player, my driver fitting was a nightmare for the fitter because of this!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok so that's clearer. Why both though? I always think of Pro V for the top players so they all want spin?? How easy is it to compare spin "settings" for different manufacturers? Say Srixon, Callaway, Bridgestone and the new Mizuno (which I have 6 to try)?

If you're a fader/slicer of the ball you impart negative spin onto the ball (I'm not going to head towards why/how). The premium balls tend to spin more off drivers/woods due to the extra layers that are there to create spin off scoring clubs/irons.
You do not want extra spin with a fade/slice swing as this creates more spin. More spin=more fade/slice.

This is why you more than likely get along with the AD333 ball. Its a 3 layer ball that doesn't spin off woods/drivers like a premium ball would.

I would have a look at the Wilson DX3. A good all around ball. I like mine.

Wayne's choice is a very good option.
My advice would be to stay with a 3 layer ball, even the Z star would be ok. I play a fade and don't find these balls any worse that a AD333 off the driver (But they react so much better off wedges/irons)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I love the hex tours, I will have to swap a lethal for one of them Robin ;)

Hmm, I'll give a lethal a go I suppose ;)

there is always deals on them aswell which is a bonus, last time was buy 2 get one free or something

I've not seen many offers and especially 2 for 1, let me know when you come across any.

I also have found the Hex Tours hardly scuff or cut and as such, if not lost you get so much more value from them

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although a ProV1 will spin more than the AD333 it's not going turn a slight fade into a 50 yard slice. The ball - all premium balls -are designed to spin less off the driver.
The amount of extra spin you'd generate with the ProV - about 5-600 rpm will put an extra 5-10 yards on your fade. Of course this might take it into the clag but it also means your ball was probably going close anyway.
I think ball spin rates off the driver are broadly similar, certainly within that 5-600 rpm range.
So he's not wrong but I don't think he's as right as he thinks he is if you catch my drift....