Which Antivirus for Windows 10

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having to ask this FAQ once again as searching the forum using keywords anti and virus throws up a lot more hits that a year ago...

So which free antivirus software would the techs on here recommend, just for basic use protection. And if a paid for one is worth it and so much better than any freebie then what would be suggested.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
AVG and Avast are the top two free AVs, but both will bombard you with pop ups.
AVG have gotten a bit worse with it recently, some of the wording of their pop ups is out of order IMO as they can mislead users into thinking that they have a present vulnerability and only clicking here will resolve it.

On that basis I would lean to Avast.

But all that said I prefer the full versions with larger and more holistic databases.

Total AV full version cost me £19 for three systems and its pretty good.

Had Kaspersky Internet Security before that but when it expired I got bombarded with more of the badly worded pop-ups a la AVG. So they can ram it.
My advice is as long as you avoid Symantec products (Norton) and McAfee, you will be fine save for the annoyance of pop-ups on free versions.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It all depends on your use of the computer

Ie a typical 70 year old man is hopefully going to use his pc in a much more refined way than a 15 year old with a laptop in his bedroom.

If the computer is being used to view anything remotely “fruity” then a paid for AV tool is appropriate

If however all you are doing is shopping at at M&S or Waitrose and looking at the BBC then tbh Windows defender is adequate.

AVG and Avast are the leading “free” anti virus products, the cost is the annoying adverts and pop up reminders to buy the “professional “ version, some will pay just to be rid of the messages as well as peace of mind.

The best item of equipment in your fight against the bugs of the inter web is your Router, this is a hardware firewall that stops uninvited guests from calling.

The things that will mess up your PC are viewing dodgy websites, opening email attachments or links in emails or downloading freeware programs filled with bugs, these are all user issues, but by far the biggest threat is someone phoning you and getting you to do things to your bank accounts.

Basically no anti virus can stop you from yourself

I use Windows Defender and scan once a month with Malwarebytes free, but I can’t remember when it last found anything

My partner (Grammar School IT Manager) also rates Windows Defender

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It all depends on your use of the computer

Ie a typical 70 year old man is hopefully going to use his pc in a much more refined way than a 15 year old with a laptop in his bedroom.

If the computer is being used to view anything remotely “fruity” then a paid for AV tool is appropriate

If however all you are doing is shopping at at M&S or Waitrose and looking at the BBC then tbh Windows defender is adequate.

AVG and Avast are the leading “free” anti virus products, the cost is the annoying adverts and pop up reminders to buy the “professional “ version, some will pay just to be rid of the messages as well as peace of mind.

The best item of equipment in your fight against the bugs of the inter web is your Router, this is a hardware firewall that stops uninvited guests from calling.

The things that will mess up your PC are viewing dodgy websites, opening email attachments or links in emails or downloading freeware programs filled with bugs, these are all user issues, but by far the biggest threat is someone phoning you and getting you to do things to your bank accounts.

Basically no anti virus can stop you from yourself

I use Windows Defender and scan once a month with Malwarebytes free, but I can’t remember when it last found anything

My partner (Grammar School IT Manager) also rates Windows Defender

Not being funny Phil, but this is not an indicator of how good a product is. In fact in today's malware/tracker infested waters (not just dodgy sites, large "trustworthy" sites get attacked and back doored just as much)

And a School IT Manager rating a bundled, cost neutral product wouldn't sell it for me either.

I work in Cybersecurity, focussing on Pen Testing and Threat Modelling (as well as being a long time systems engineer) and the volume of threats out there and the evolving behaviour of cyber attacks means that it's no longer restricted to the teenager in their bedroom.

Everything from spoofed payment portals that you might not see to loopers or redirects that clone or mimic pages you need to have more peace of mind that windows bundled "security essentials" IMO.

AVG and Avast are absolutely fine and will spot spoofs and phising way better than Defender (which really suffers here as well as extension integration). Windows Defender was only ever intended as a malware extension of the original Windows Defender offering and had a limited definitions database.

Whilst that has expanded (I think they borrow a definition engine from another provider but could be wrong), I personally wouldn't be relying on it.

Of course, that's just me and my opinion and whatever anyone else's risk appetite is, good luck to them.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine isnt a free one, I use Eset's Nod 32. It's light on the system and doesn't cause any problems (for me anyway).
Wilders Security Forums used to be a place I would glean helpful infirmation on such matters

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have used the AVG free one for years even though I get the full McAffee free from my ISP. I find it less intrusive than McAffee which I did load on to my notebook

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As an extra thought I didn't say before, I don't understand why the push for "free" AV software. By it's nature, AV software is to protect you and filter out the bad stuff that is out there, so why look at free stuff if your protection is paramount?
Since an email with an embeded code can take over your pc, grab your personal data and everything from those cookies and internet history you lazily haven't removed and potentially relieve you of any monies it can, why not spend a small amount and run something that will protect you and not weigh your system down?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As an extra thought I didn't say before, I don't understand why the push for "free" AV software. By it's nature, AV software is to protect you and filter out the bad stuff that is out there, so why look at free stuff if your protection is paramount?
Since an email with an embeded code can take over your pc, grab your personal data and everything from those cookies and internet history you lazily haven't removed and potentially relieve you of any monies it can, why not spend a small amount and run something that will protect you and not weigh your system down?
I agree. But as I don’t really understand the benefits of ‘paid for‘ AV software over free stuff - so does some free stuff do all that necessary and sufficient? indeed why I asked free and paid recommendations...i am more than happy to pay if there are significant benefits to be had.

Also when do my protection needs become paramount? I do online banking and purchasing. I am guessing that, just that, makes my protection paramount and free stuff doesn’t guarantee it?

Windows PC has McAffee trial subscription about to run out. I’ve had problems in the past running other AV with McAffee still installed even after subscription expires. Don’t know if that’s still an issue but will uninstall it before putting in anything new.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only ever have one anti virus program on your machine at any one time

They will fight ?

Wot Phil says. Plus they will both be using resources both independently and overlapping (the fight scenario).

The benefit of paid for is simply that they have more features available and also usually larger definitions databases or larger protection 'nets'.

The way cyber attacks are going and with lockdown accelerating this, my professional advice is to use something that has the most features that you can afford.
As I said above, TotalAV is one of the highest ranked in independant comparisons yet can be bought for £20 a year.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wot Phil says. Plus they will both be using resources both independently and overlapping (the fight scenario).

The benefit of paid for is simply that they have more features available and also usually larger definitions databases or larger protection 'nets'.

The way cyber attacks are going and with lockdown accelerating this, my professional advice is to use something that has the most features that you can afford.
As I said above, TotalAV is one of the highest ranked in independant comparisons yet can be bought for £20 a year.
I’ll look into TotalAV - would be useful to be able to have a product that can protect multiple devices under a single subscription - I‘m guessing TotalAV will. I value the opinion of experts over my own uninformed thinking - never can have too much of their views and advice for something important...??

I guess first off I uninstall McAfee...though I recall reading that it’s not that easy to clear it out completely.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got the AVG and I also have add blocker plus too to try and stop annoying pop ups. I have not had any problems and I go on all sorts of websites looking for free sport streams.

But like Phil said............. the best protection is yourself. Be cautious about any Emails that brings doubt to your mind. If you suspect an Email then click on the senders address and if it is not a legit looking email then do not click any of the links. You can also contact the company by phone. I have had them from AMAZON before telling me to click the link and verify my account. When I clicked on the sender it was some strange looking Email from Africa.