Where is the catch??!!

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I regularly receive e-mails and leaflets in golf magazines offering "a free set of golf balls" worth £18 AND "3 free rounds of golf at De Vere type hotels/courses" for a yearly insurance cost of around £22.Sounds too good to be true.

Where is the catch? Has anyone ever signed up for this or got any more info on it?

Cheers Kev

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golfcare? I've got this, though no free balls when I did it - they'd have been more useful than the De Vere vouchers. midweek, only with a four-ball paying full price - and you need one you can get to.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am with the golfers club, got 3 balls, srixon cap, shedloads of 2for1's, a load of free rounds at any devere, marriott, macdonald and burhill golf.

think it cost £42 so a bit pricier but the 2for1's and 1 free round more than covers the initial outlay :)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah midweek etc, will use them in the summer tho I am sure, some I wont though as courses available too far away. if needs be I can give them to folk on here who can use them :)

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
thanks for your input gents......but I am going to leave it at that and not take it any further after looking further into and taking into account a few of your comments.........theres only 1 course anywhere near me thats Slaley Hall near Hexham...and for a beginner/hacker like myself its just too long a course to play..yet..

cheers...Kev

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
thanks for your input gents......but I am going to leave it at that and not take it any further after looking further into and taking into account a few of your comments.........theres only 1 course anywhere near me thats Slaley Hall near Hexham...and for a beginner/hacker like myself its just too long a course to play..yet..

cheers...Kev

So you don't think the insurance is worth it for insurances sake?????
:D :D :D

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
erm erm probably not!..I will take my chances on hopefully not injuring anyone else.....I dont no anyone so far who ive played golf with who has insurance???!!!...

Wow...just wow...i know two people that got sued for golfing injuries, it's the same old 'he didn't shout fore' argument.
cost 'em a few grand.
let's face it £30 quid for a full year! and you can't afford it? how much are your clubs worth a grand?..more?
You're paying about 2% of the value of your clubs if they ever get stolen.
if you ever get a hole in one it covers you for £150 quid (5 years worth of subs right there)
I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't have golf insurance is just being silly especially at such a low price.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site

cheers...Kev

So you don't think the insurance is worth it for insurances sake?????
:D :D :D

Well Smiffy I havent looked at it this way..insurance for insurance sake....maybe I might need to have a think about it now,especially after the apparent 'digs' at me in the next post!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
you aren't alone in not having insurance, I didn't for the first year or so - who thinks about it? I do have it now.
some clubs include third party insurance in their membership fees, I've even heard of some that include an element of insurance in green fees - though I would think not many and getting fewer.

as to getting done for not shouting fore - depends which court you get. recently a magistrate dismissed it on the grounds that a golf course is a place where balls are likely to be.

my view is that within a couple of years third party golf insurance will be mandatory. shortly after that we'll be required to wear hard hats and hi-viz waistcoats.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used my free round voucher at Dunston Hall last year. Only played with a member as a 2ball so dont know where the 4 ball only rule came in. Just phone ahead and it should be ok.

The insurance is like any insurance , its only worth it if you've got to make a claim. Some people will always chance it and others wouldnt get out of bed without it

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I cant believe that today there are people who CHOOSE not to pay as little as 58p per week, in the hope that they wont need it.

I think all clubs should have a rule that only golfers with valid insurance are allowed to play. What if that 1 in a million shots you hit, is a wicked shank behind you and it hit a playing partner in the face, or cracks someones skull.

I think the governing bodies need to look into this sooner than the length of courses or spring effect of drivers. Before I even hit a ball on a course I took out insurance, and didnt even get to use the vouchers. But at least I am confident if there is an accident I have some protection as long as I followed the rules and etiquette of golf.

I am truly shocked, I've refused to play with at least 6 people to now due to them not having insurance. Why should I watch their ball for them if they cant be bothered to look out for other peoples security in the event of an accident.

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
I can remember when we all started playing golf, possibly inside our first year and one person was hit on the head and suffered concussion but had long term problems as it created a degree of sight loss in one eye. This problem then created a failure at a medical for a very good position and therefore has had a lifetime knock on effect for him.

The player that carried out the deed... no insurance ... no concern and has enjoyed his life to the full no doubt!!

Before ambulance chasing caught on but now the person causing the problem would have a great deal to answer for!