When did grooves replace dimples on club heads?

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Wistfully remembering my first set of odd irons my mum picked up at a pro shop sale in the early 90's,

My 5 iron had dimples, a wooden hosel and then a shaft made of god know what, as well as a leather wrap around grip.

Would love to know what age it was, (sadly although I dont remember getting rid of it, I've no idea where it is now)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The earliest irons were smooth faced, these gave way to grooved and dimpled (or punched) faces towards the end of the 19th century. Grooved and dimpled faces were both used from then on but grooves gradually became the preferred option towards the end of the 1930s. After the war there were still a few dimpled face clubs available but by 1950 they'd pretty much disappeared.
Your club sounds like it's from the 1930s with coated steel shaft and a fibre or early plastic hosel, I'm not aware of wood being used for hosels.

Reactions: OOB

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I doubt that the hosel was wood but it may had a cord whipping holding the shaft to the head with several coats of varnish/laquer applied to the cord whipping.