What's a good score for an adult beginner?

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What are most adults who join a club shooting? I have gone down from 110ish down to around 100-105 last 3 months, and feel I've got mid 90s in me.

I am told 108 is a respectable score for a novice. But don't feel like it, I see where my shots are wasted and was always under the impression most club level beginners shoot under 100.

Any advice on what a decent enough score is for an adult beginner? What do you guys see people shooting at your club who fairly join.

I am not a member anywhere so only really have my experience to go by.

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What are most adults who join a club shooting? I have gone down from 110ish down to around 100-105 last 3 months, and feel I've got mid 90s in me.

I am told 108 is a respectable score for a novice. But don't feel like it, I see where my shots are wasted and was always under the impression most club level beginners shoot under 100.

Any advice on what a decent enough score is for an adult beginner? What do you guys see people shooting at your club who fairly join.

108 I would say is a respectable score for a beginner , most adults would shoot 110 plus when they first start IMO. If you score below 100 in your first 3 months playing you would be making good progress

My first comp. score many years ago was around 130!!

Good luck with your golf.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
108 is a very good score for someone just taking up the game.

Your doing well just remember to continue to enjoy it :thup:

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
108 is a very good score for someone just taking up the game.

Your doing well just remember to continue to enjoy it :thup:

I played last year as well, but not as much as I have been last few months. Trying my best to get in at least 3 rounds a month now. Whereas last year was 1-2 max.

Also invested in lessons and trying to get to the range too.

If I was at a club, I am presuming I would have a full 28 handicap if I was shooting 100-105 as I am now?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My first medal, my first ever competition was a 103... Sadly included a 5 putt so should have been 100 :)

I think 120s round a full course off the yellows is a good start. First rounds after lessons should break 110 if not 100. First competitions should break 100.

If you are keeping around that then I would say thats good progress.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The magic marker is to break 100, everyone will start at different levels, but with lessons and some regular practice/play 100 or less should be achievable after a few months.
At that point you can look at getting a handicap.

But whilst the numbers are important, the most important thing is that you enjoy yourself, take pleasure from the good shots and don't dwell on the bad ones, don't swing too hard and the numbers will look after themselves.

Good luck Sir

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When you say a few months, how much would you anticipate this person to be playing? How many rounds? Roughly....

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
... don't swing too hard...

Taken in a literal sense, this is a big issue I'm having as a beginner. The feeling from seeing one shot smashed away makes you chase it again even though it may take another 20 to repeat! Need to rein it in and be consistent.

I shot 55 through 9 holes a few weeks ago, if that helps with your benchmark at all TC, although I'd echo what others have been saying re:take it easy. I've begun to think of my score as a side effect at the moment, with the main focus being on playing with a strategy and sticking to it.

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Level 5's ... A 100 plus isn't rteally something that you would want to talk about, good luck :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

As a beginner your score should be irrelevant - it should be all about enjoyment and getting to grips with the basics. Get used to the sport and the way the game is played - feel comfortable and then start to worry about scores and HC

Billythefish

Assistant Pro
www.cdhtraining.co.uk
Level 5's ... A 100 plus isn't rteally something that you would want to talk about, good luck :thup:

Level 5's as a beginner? Give the bloke a chance

ZoomButt.gif

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
When you say a few months, how much would you anticipate this person to be playing? How many rounds? Roughly....
And this of course is the difficult bit in trying to make an equation out of it!

Add in the history of the individual - ball sports etc, age and physical prowess (yes it makes a huge difference to the early period and early scoring; but all becomes less relevant and often holds up progress later on).

I comfortably broke 100 in my first week of picking up a club; played 27 holes a day over different courses around Edinburgh with my uncle passing on his aquired wisdom as we played. I was 20, competed from 5 in any sport I could get involved in, and could get a golf ball around a course with a modified 'on drive' easily enough (some say I still do).

Came back to the game about 5 years later and started playing regularly, joined a club based on a municipal and got a handicap of 17 (old money; about 14/15 in today's terms) after which progress became really tough on the way to my lowest, 6.4.

Most people under the age of 50 should be able to get to an 18 handicap pretty quickly on a realistic length course (up to 6100) with the appropriate guidance and some work (practice/drills rather than playing the same game with the same people). Nothing wrong with such an approach and it's a great pastime, but you won't improve to even you basic plateau that way.

D

Deleted member 15344

And this of course is the difficult bit in trying to make an equation out of it!

Add in the history of the individual - ball sports etc, age and physical prowess (yes it makes a huge difference to the early period and early scoring; but all becomes less relevant and often holds up progress later on).

I comfortably broke 100 in my first week of picking up a club; played 27 holes a day over different courses around Edinburgh with my uncle passing on his aquired wisdom as we played. I was 20, competed from 5 in any sport I could get involved in, and could get a golf ball around a course with a modified 'on drive' easily enough (some say I still do).

Came back to the game about 5 years later and started playing regularly, joined a club based on a municipal and got a handicap of 17 (old money; about 14/15 in today's terms) after which progress became really tough on the way to my lowest, 6.4.

Most people under the age of 50 should be able to get to an 18 handicap pretty quickly on a realistic length course (up to 6100) with the appropriate guidance and some work (practice/drills rather than playing the same game with the same people). Nothing wrong with such an approach and it's a great pastime, but you won't improve to even you basic plateau that way.

With the average HC reported to be 18 I would suggest most isn't a fair reflection possibly ?

D

Deleted member 15344

He's been on here since September so he knows the script. If he's got the knack then why would he want to talk about taking hundreds? 90 something is bad enough.

90 something is bad enough ?! What do you mean ?!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the average HC reported to be 18 I would suggest most isn't a fair reflection possibly ?

This includes those who are not making any attempt to improve whatsoever. If you wish to bring statistics such as this into the equation then you should include things like less than 2% of golfers have a professional lesson in their life and less than 10% of those 2% have a putting lesson etc etc etc

These statistics may fall into the made up stats bracket but I'm happy to bet money they are on the conservative side of the argument!

chrisg

Head Pro
Visit site
but also include the masses of non handicap, but regularly playing golfers whose handicap would probably be higher, the "average" golfer standard id guess may be in the 20's. I think some low handicap players forget how difficult the average guy finds this game!!!!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Someone pretty new to the game will, typically, get a handicap mid/high 20's. We all know we don't play to handicap very often. Sooo, par 72 course + 25 h'cap = 97 + 'x' shots over handicap.

103 is not bad for a new starter, and that will drop reasonably quickly.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plus it depends how tough your home course is I guess but as others have said don't worry too much about your scores just go out and enjoy it.