What's a good score for an adult beginner?

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Of course you could argue that not counting at all, or letting a partner tot up the scores and not tell you until after may change thinking and release pressure. Certainly as you are beginning there is a huge pressure to shoot the par of the whole. I've said before, if you treated every hole as a par five (making the course par 90) then what you make up on the par threes and short par fours, you can give up on the 400 yard+ par fours and the long par fives. Even shooting ten over that par 90 gives you the magic hundred

Lots of really useful advice in the past few posts. Thank you! The par 5 on every hole approach has definitely helped. Frustratingly I haven't been saving shots on the par 3s recently, which again, I was a little while back.

It will come though.... No doubt about it. I am nearly there.... The changes will be permanent and the shots will come down!! I now know I am capable of a decent standard across driving, putting, chipping and irons. So the next target is to get a basic level of consistency in a round. I know everyone says they are doing that, but I mean just a very basic consistency on all 4 will without a doubt put me mid 90s. Then I can go from there.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
What are most adults who join a club shooting? I have gone down from 110ish down to around 100-105 last 3 months, and feel I've got mid 90s in me.

that's good scoring.... not out of this world, but fairly solid. I know adults who can;t score less than 150 and I know others who have shot mid 90's within just a few weeks of 'regular' play (meaning 5 rounds a week) :D

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been playing a few years now and still shoot between 95-105. Shot a 87 the other but round a shortish course and still felt that I left shots out there plus the greens were terrible.

I want to improve like you but don't any enough spare time to practice and I aren't a member of club or play regulary enough. Just enjoy playing and the scores will start to improve as you go on and figure out the weak spots in your game. And don't put pressure on yourself.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Level 6s is fine for a beginner. I'd advise scoring your holes against 6s and you'll soon be finding yourself 5 under, 6 under - and before you know it 9 under - and you'll have broken 100. Feels great scoring so much under 'your par' and the occasional blow-up doesn't really matter when an 8 on a par 4 is only '2-over' and a 3 on a par 3 is a thrilling '3-under' :)