What's a good score for an adult beginner?

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes, maybe beginner is misleading. I've been playing for less than a year, but as mentioned comfortably see mid 90s in the way I am playing, however not on the scorecard.

Just wondered what most considered a good score for an adult novice. Articles online suggest 108, double bogeys to every hole, is actually pretty decent. I personally think it's pretty poor!!! But then I was wondering whether at 100-105 I was giving myself a hard time, or actually it's quite decent and should come down relatively quickly after a few more lessons....

I am certainly ambitious to do well, but I think the point raised about this being a very tough sport to just take up is fair for the average adult is fair. I've played team sports my whole life, and to a good standard, but not everyone has the time to commit to two rounds at the weekend and a few nights at the range a week.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't get too ambitious too quickly. Go out and enjoy it and learn how to play on the course. It's a world away from playing on a range or practice ground. If you think you have 90's in there you probably have so keep going.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, maybe beginner is misleading. I've been playing for less than a year, but as mentioned comfortably see mid 90s in the way I am playing, however not on the scorecard.

Just wondered what most considered a good score for an adult novice. Articles online suggest 108, double bogeys to every hole, is actually pretty decent. I personally think it's pretty poor!!! But then I was wondering whether at 100-105 I was giving myself a hard time, or actually it's quite decent and should come down relatively quickly after a few more lessons....

I am certainly ambitious to do well, but I think the point raised about this being a very tough sport to just take up is fair for the average adult is fair. I've played team sports my whole life, and to a good standard, but not everyone has the time to commit to two rounds at the weekend and a few nights at the range a week.

I would say don't get too bogged down on the scores and what is classed as good or not - it's all very very subjective and you will have such a multitude of differing views

Being a novice and scoring 100 is doing well - just enjoy the game and that score will take care of itself

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What are most adults who join a club shooting? I have gone down from 110ish down to around 100-105 last 3 months, and feel I've got mid 90s in me.

I am told 108 is a respectable score for a novice. But don't feel like it, I see where my shots are wasted and was always under the impression most club level beginners shoot under 100.

Any advice on what a decent enough score is for an adult beginner? What do you guys see people shooting at your club who fairly join.

I am not a member anywhere so only really have my experience to go by.

I would suggest joining a club (if budget and time allow) and get a handicap. I think with something to play against and try and beat, you will focus and if you can start shooting in the 90's and get some handicap cuts it will drive you on. Nothing beats having to make every shot count (even the penalties, topped ones and three and four putts) and if you can see where your mistakes are you are on the way to getting lower

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would suggest joining a club (if budget and time allow) and get a handicap. I think with something to play against and try and beat, you will focus and if you can start shooting in the 90's and get some handicap cuts it will drive you on. Nothing beats having to make every shot count (even the penalties, topped ones and three and four putts) and if you can see where your mistakes are you are on the way to getting lower

That certainly is the plan. We are soon to be buying a house and moving out of London. As soon as that happens, membership is the next thing on the list.

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Don't listen to this "enjoy yourself" cr@p ... Nobody is forcing you! I bet that even when youre frustrated and a tad hacked off you'll still be playing, it's in your blood :D

I like your thinking, mid 90's is good and there is nothing wrong with trying to lower your scores so stick in :thup:

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My first medal, my first ever competition was a 103... Sadly included a 5 putt so should have been 100 :)

I think 120s round a full course off the yellows is a good start. First rounds after lessons should break 110 if not 100. First competitions should break 100.

If you are keeping around that then I would say thats good progress.

This....

(Almost). 1st ever round 133, got down to 115(ish) end of last season

Went back upto 144 in feb (1st round 2015). Walked off 121 couple of weeks ago. My aim this Sunday coming is under 110 (and more than 17 points).

Unless you are out several times a week & getting lessons & really putting in loads of practice, don't be surprised if the scores don't come down quickly.

It is an easy game to play (it's hitting a little ball into a hole) but a difficult game to "master". There is so much to think about as a newbie.

Posture, swing, hand position, ball position, distance, wind, swing tempo, alignment to target, tee height, club selection etc etc etc.

As long as you are enjoying don't put pressure on yourself to perform WELL. Enjoying the fresh air & scenery.

I would like to play in some competitons etc at some point. I would like to submit some low scores one day. But for now, I am enjoying getting out, improving & taking little bonuses from each round.

That 6ft putt that sank like a stone, that epic 4th tee shot that cleared the trees & landed centre of the fairway, the high faced bunker that I got out of 1st attempt.

That's my opinion anyway.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't listen to this "enjoy yourself" cr@p ... Nobody is forcing you! I bet that even when youre frustrated and a tad hacked off you'll still be playing, it's in your blood :D

I like your thinking, mid 90's is good and there is nothing wrong with trying to lower your scores so stick in :thup:

Love this post! Yes... golf is well and truly becoming ingrained into me. I am starting to plan my weekends around it. I am currently looking to buy a house, and decent club proximity is a key criteria!!!

I find it difficult because I am now at the point where I genuinely feel like I am playing in mid 90s territory, but still messing up a couple of holes, which is costing me and taking me over the 100 mark.

It's near...... I can feel it.

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
The Caddie,

I am in the same situation as you, been playing since December, only Par 3 9 holes from then till March. Then I started on 18 Hole courses, probably have played about 8 since then. Also had some lessons as a newbie (which helped immeasurably). Since then I have been shooting around 115 with 107 being my lowest.

Yesterday I only had time to do the front 9 of my home course, but managed a 48, I usually am able to do that in 57. So would very likely have broken 100. Since about mid April I have now been trying to play at least once a week now, and also doing at least one or two driving range\practice green sessions a week too. It is a mentally challenging sport though, I often find when I start thinking too much, I balls it all up. If I keep my cool, I'm able to do a lot better.

I was hoping to have been breaking 100 after 3 goes on an 18 hole course but I guess starting them in winter in the freezing cold and howling wind didn't help me that much. I am hoping to start shooting mid 90's in the next two months now.

Over all of it though, I just absolutely love going out and playing Golf. I just love it.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Caddie,

I am in the same situation as you, been playing since December, only Par 3 9 holes from then till March. Then I started on 18 Hole courses, probably have played about 8 since then. Also had some lessons as a newbie (which helped immeasurably). Since then I have been shooting around 115 with 107 being my lowest.

Yesterday I only had time to do the front 9 of my home course, but managed a 48, I usually am able to do that in 57. So would very likely have broken 100. Since about mid April I have now been trying to play at least once a week now, and also doing at least one or two driving range\practice green sessions a week too. It is a mentally challenging sport though, I often find when I start thinking too much, I balls it all up. If I keep my cool, I'm able to do a lot better.

I was hoping to have been breaking 100 after 3 goes on an 18 hole course but I guess starting them in winter in the freezing cold and howling wind didn't help me that much. I am hoping to start shooting mid 90's in the next two months now.

Over all of it though, I just absolutely love going out and playing Golf. I just love it.

It's a funny sport. 3 months ago, I was driving straight and two putting maybe 14-16 holes on average a game.

At that point, I couldn't hit an iron sweetly to save my life, and my chipping was atrocious. Worked really hard on irons and chipping, went out on Saturday and putted awfully and drove terribly as well. Irons and Wedges were best they've ever been!! haha.

Always the way. I just want to piece together some sort of vague consistency across the board.... and then work on it from there.

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Love this post! Yes... golf is well and truly becoming ingrained into me. I am starting to plan my weekends around it. I am currently looking to buy a house, and decent club proximity is a key criteria!!!

I find it difficult because I am now at the point where I genuinely feel like I am playing in mid 90s territory, but still messing up a couple of holes, which is costing me and taking me over the 100 mark.

It's near...... I can feel it.

When your 4 or 5 years old and someones patting you on the head saying just enjoy it then fair enough, my guess is that you're older than that and just take it as half wit talk rather than patronising.

If you've got the bug then that's you, it's pretty much a no return - Even on a bad day you'd rather be golfing with mates than sitting in your lounge pulling your nails out - Life is good and good luck on your new venture :thup:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
.... I was driving straight and two putting maybe 14-16 holes on average a game.

At that point, I couldn't hit an iron sweetly to save my life, and my chipping was atrocious. Worked really hard on irons and chipping, went out on Saturday and putted awfully and drove terribly as well..

I found this to be the case for a long time - a swing change to address something has a knock on effect.

For a beginner I think any score under 110 is pretty good; for an improving high handicapper I think between 95 & 105 is good - they will see light at the end of the tunnel but also make poor choices (going for it etc.)

I would guarantee if you focused yourself before going out next on playing a double bogey round you'll score lower. Par 4, play it as 6 shots - don't chase getting on the green in 2. At the start I wiped the slate clean on every hole and tried to play it to par - it was beyond me because my expectations were unrealistic... I wanted to hit drive 220, my hybrid 180 and 2 putt; I actually duffed my drive, took out a 3 wood to get me back on track, duffed it 30yards, tried it again, sliced it right etc. As you get better, your expectations change - progress to play each hole 1 over - - at this point you'll be mixing in pars, etc. and your expectations will change again.

Visit site
This....

(Almost). 1st ever round 133, got down to 115(ish) end of last season

Went back upto 144 in feb (1st round 2015). Walked off 121 couple of weeks ago. My aim this Sunday coming is under 110 (and more than 17 points).

Unless you are out several times a week & getting lessons & really putting in loads of practice, don't be surprised if the scores don't come down quickly.

I am enjoying getting out, improving & taking little bonuses from each round.

That 6ft putt that sank like a stone, that epic 4th tee shot that cleared the trees & landed centre of the fairway, the high faced bunker that I got out of 1st attempt.

That's my opinion anyway.

Totally agree with Drew, there may be some people out there that are naturals and can hit a sub 100 after a few rounds, but for the general person who takes it up, gets to the range once a week, a lesson once a fortnight and a round once a month because of work and family commitments, I think a double bogey round is a good score for a beginner.

I'm only playing a par 63. I am currently hitting 95-101, which I know I can do better if I played well through the 18, but I can't keep the consistency yet. Each round though there is something to perk me up. Forget the 4 putt, or the chip shot that went 14" instead of 14y, the duff tee shot, but remember the 200y driver to the edge of the green, the 20ft putt. Each round has a new "BETTER", a longer putt, a longer driver, a chip that leaves a tap in. Just grab on to them and you'll come back for a long time.

My target is to hit a 100 on a full size course by the time I go on a golfing holiday with some friends at the end of August. My guess (as I've not played a full course yet) is I'm currently around 120-130

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Currently living in Wandsworth and playing at Richmond Park.

Likely to be moving to Brentwood or Billericay in Essex....

It's hard at Richmond. Notoriously slow which does nothing for the concentration. Have you and your mates looked at a trip down the A3 and playing Hoebridge. Great pay and play and a change of scenery may focus the mind a little more

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
Let it consume you. Play as much as you can. No such thing as trying too hard.

You will improve scores at your level by doing these 3 things.
1. Make better decisions. Don't take on shots you know you cannot make.
2. Give short game lots of attention. 3,4 putting can hurt you and getting up and down in 3 from inside 50 yards will make a difference for a 28 handicap.
3. Practice, personally i hate the range so its all about 9 hole sessions for me. That way i get to practice iff the tee, fairway and chipping.

This game can be cruel yet incredibly rewarding.
My 1st rounds were in the 120s. My A game can now get me in the 70s.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Let it consume you. Play as much as you can. No such thing as trying too hard.

You will improve scores at your level by doing these 3 things.
1. Make better decisions. Don't take on shots you know you cannot make.
2. Give short game lots of attention. 3,4 putting can hurt you and getting up and down in 3 from inside 50 yards will make a difference for a 28 handicap.
3. Practice, personally i hate the range so its all about 9 hole sessions for me. That way i get to practice iff the tee, fairway and chipping.

This game can be cruel yet incredibly rewarding.
My 1st rounds were in the 120s. My A game can now get me in the 70s.

I differ slightly in that I enjoy the range or practice ground but other than that I agree. Putting will come in time as will feel around the greens once you have a decent technique and aren't hitting the fat or thin chips.

Visit site
Some would probably disagree with this but when I first started playing on a course, i was lenient with myself when playing a bad shot and would often [if time and space allowed] take a Mulligan and count the better shot rather than the shocker. Obviously the scorecard would not be accurate at the end of the round and that would always be taken into account before getting too self congratulatory but the most important factor was that it proved that you could do it and gave confidence that it was just a question of putting things together on a consistent basis. Possibly not everyone's way of doing things and of course it couldn't be done in a tournament or whatever but it worked reasonably well for me in getting down from a regular 100+ shooter to 11 handicap. Sort of an informal, as required Eclectic if you like.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of course you could argue that not counting at all, or letting a partner tot up the scores and not tell you until after may change thinking and release pressure. Certainly as you are beginning there is a huge pressure to shoot the par of the whole. I've said before, if you treated every hole as a par five (making the course par 90) then what you make up on the par threes and short par fours, you can give up on the 400 yard+ par fours and the long par fives. Even shooting ten over that par 90 gives you the magic hundred