What would you remove

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Another tour pro takes the troos off and play's out the water barefoot and barelegged

Leaving aside that I'm not convinced it was even necessary for this shot (but certainly guarantees the cameras will roll) what would you do (or have done) in order to take on that shot?

I've seen the odd sock/shoe come off from an FC but never seen any more than that

And is it just a male tour pro's that feel they need to do this, never see it on the women's tour!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
And is it just a male tour pro's that feel they need to do this, never see it on the women's tour!

That's probably because many of the women wear short skorts and so don't need to strip any further. Also, hitting a ball out of the water does require a lot of strength, so it is not a shot that female players take on all that often. I am pretty sure I saw Christie Kerr hit a ball out of the water once, but apart from that I don't really remember.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Way back in the mists of time, school holidays summer of 1975 I think, I hit 3 consecutive balls into a river. It was a wide stream really... Got to the bend on the river and could see at least half a doz balls in the crystal clear water. It wasn't shallow enough to play out of, probably about 6 foot deep at that point. The lot came off, and I skinny dipped for the lot. Came up after getting the last one to see two young ladies, giggling, on horse back. I did suggest they join me but, sadly, it didn't happen... ah, the innocent joys of youth...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Way back in the mists of time, school holidays summer of 1975 I think, I hit 3 consecutive balls into a river. It was a wide stream really... Got to the bend on the river and could see at least half a doz balls in the crystal clear water. It wasn't shallow enough to play out of, probably about 6 foot deep at that point. The lot came off, and I skinny dipped for the lot. Came up after getting the last one to see two young ladies, giggling, on horse back. I did suggest they join me but, sadly, it didn't happen... ah, the innocent joys of youth...

Erm is this just a Sangria induced dream you had last night!
:cool:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
He was wearing dark trousers, shoe/ sock and rolled up trouser leg would probably have sufficed, but he was partnering Stenson, maybe it was just a jokey play on a previous incident.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't take anything off, it's only a game
Yeah, this. None of us are getting paid thousands to play so it's never worth taking a dip in a pond to play a shot. Just take a drop.

Even if I was getting paid, I highly doubt I'd take the whole trousers off. Maybe shoes and socks, and roll the legs up at the most. I'm not going to be standing there in my smalls on TV. Imagine if you did this at your home track, you'd probably be thrown off the course!

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
He was wearing dark trousers, shoe/ sock and rolled up trouser leg

Perhaps he was practising for something else not related to golf.

But to not detract from the original purpose of the thread. I probably wouldn't take on the water shot.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cant believe they never trotted off with your clothes!
You would probably get arrested today for that.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd not take anything off nor would I risk getting wet to retrieve a ball.

It reminds me a number of years ago it was opening day of the season at the club. The first tee was heaving and we had to wait an hour to get on as it was a glorious day. The group in front were three of the old guard and one had hit it onto the trees down the right.
They waved us through and as we were passing I heard one say, I can see it, it's in the stream. It was more like a river due to the rainfall.
He was told to leave it but continued to 'fish' for it. I turned to walk on saying thanks. Next thing we'd heard a huge splosh and the guy was swimming. I ran over to help as his two mates were falling about laughing. I nearly fell in for laughing. I helped him out but the guy wasn't pleased.
He'd waited for over an hour to play, played two shots, got soaked and had to trudge back up the fairway past about 20 guys waiting to play. I was cying with pain of laughter. Oh, and it wasn't his ball.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, this. None of us are getting paid thousands to play so it's never worth taking a dip in a pond to play a shot. Just take a drop.

Even if I was getting paid, I highly doubt I'd take the whole trousers off. Maybe shoes and socks, and roll the legs up at the most. I'm not going to be standing there in my smalls on TV. Imagine if you did this at your home track, you'd probably be thrown off the course!

I agree Orikoru, in particular because I doubt I'd get the ball out of the water anyway!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Or laughed at everytime you went in the clubhouse bar :ears:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Cant believe they never trotted off with your clothes!
You would probably get arrested today for that.

They were the other side of the river from the course. Padeswood & Buckley golf Club. We lived in Mynydd Isa back then. You can still get away with most things in Wales....

Seamer

Hacker
Visit site
There's a really short par 3 (120 yds) over a bend in the river at my course, it's always worth taking the extendable ball retriever to fish a few out of the water.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Is that the current comp where they showed some lovely crocs chilling out at the side of the lakes 😳