What has happened to the golf shoe market!

ScratchSRL

Club Champion
Visit site
Ok, so I am in the market to a new pair of sheos after a break from golf of about a year.

I have a black pair and a white pair of adipures. Thye are battered so need replacing.

And I cane across these! http://www.function18.com/footwear/nike-lunar-bandon-ii-golf-shoe-552072.html

WHAT!

There are barley any shoe manufactures making traditional shoes as their main lines.

Apologies if anyone has the shoes/boots/basketball trainers above but this is awful.

SRL

Scotty_Tom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Im with you. don't get me wrong, I like a nice comfy shoe, but to me, my icons are as comfortable as my DNA's. I have a pair of M Projects too, but I cant stand the shoes that look like trainers.

TLB

Club Champion
Visit site
I feel your pain. There are hardly any 'traditional' looking shoes coming through at the moment, the only pair I like the look of are the Ecco Tour Hybrid ones which resemble a brogue, but at £150 I'm not totally convinced.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
There's enough wittering and complaining on here when someone's shoe is not completely waterproof. Well, if you are after a completely waterproof shoe then buy one of them. I'm guessing they are aimed at people that play in very wet conditions a lot of the time.

And as for no manufacturers making lots of traditional shoes that's probably because relatively few people want to buy that type of shoe nowadays, and the type that do change their shoes once in a blue moon. Pure supply and demand.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I feel your pain. There are hardly any 'traditional' looking shoes coming through at the moment, the only pair I like the look of are the Ecco Tour Hybrid ones which resemble a brogue, but at £150 I'm not totally convinced.

If you substitute the word 'traditional' for 'old fashioned' it makes more sense why there are not that many of them.;)

D

Deleted member 15344

The shoe market has evolved as the game of golf evolves

TLB

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm not so sure it's really for the better. I see the adizero's and they are just a take on the f10 football boots they did a while back.

If I wore those 10 years ago I bet I wouldn't have been allowed on the course. I'm all for improvements and technology advancements, but one of the reasons I love golf is the formality and the tradition.

I suppose finding a balancing point is hard work and not everyone will agree.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I'm not so sure it's really for the better. I see the adizero's and they are just a take on the f10 football boots they did a while back.

If I wore those 10 years ago I bet I wouldn't have been allowed on the course. I'm all for improvements and technology advancements, but one of the reasons I love golf is the formality and the tradition.

I suppose finding a balancing point is hard work and not everyone will agree.

To be honest I see the fact that more people can play the game and are allowed on courses wearing a type of shoe they are comfortable with and don't have to worry if the type of shoe they have is allowed at that specific club as a good thing myself. I

I think there is a decent balancing point as I am sure there is a shoe out there for everyone no matter if they prefer formal or the more modern style. Plus the new type of shoes come with claims of all sorts of technological advancements in the materials used, the grip etc etc. Now whether people believe them or not is a different thing, but it's not just purely a fashion thing.

To be honest I'm long past worrying what shoes people have on their feet, and if people judge people based on that then it is more their problem than the shoe wearers. Someone could wear pink ballet pumps for all I care as long as they play with care and consideration for others.

Last edited:

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In answer to the OP's question..It has moved with the times....However, for the discerning golfer there are still plenty of traditional sneakers out there...Ecco, Footjoy, some Adidas..And Dunlop do some very traditional shoes..;)

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To be honest I am in the other camp. I don't like the traditional golf shoe and prefer a bit of style. IMO golf has moved away from the old fashioned type of look and its all about how you look on the course as well as the way you play! What is more important for me is grip, comfort and of course water proof. However those shoes do look a bit minging lol :)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The shoe market has evolved as the game of golf evolves

I agree with this up to a point.

Progress doesn't automatically mean 'trainer style'. Their is more tech in the Ecco Hydromax Tour than there is is many trainer type.

I don't subscribe to the theory that trainer style shoes are progress when compared to a traditional looking shoe.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree with this up to a point.

Progress doesn't automatically mean 'trainer style'. Their is more tech in the Ecco Hydromax Tour than there is is many trainer type.

I don't subscribe to the theory that trainer style shoes are progress when compared to a traditional looking shoe.

Hence why I said evolve - trainer styles won't be to everyone's taste

And it all depends on what you believe is progress

If a shoe feels more comfortable wearing it as opposed to others previously worn then it progressed in terms of comfort.

Style will always be down to personal opinion.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hence why I said evolve - trainer styles won't be to everyone's taste

And it all depends on what you believe is progress

If a shoe feels more comfortable wearing it as opposed to others previously worn then it progressed in terms of comfort.

Style will always be down to personal opinion.

I agree with that.

However some would argue that change in styles is progress, simply as it's different to what is considered the norm'.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree with that.

However some would argue that change in styles is progress, simply as it's different to what is considered the norm'.

I suppose a change in style could attract younger people as opposed to the old brogues

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I suppose a change in style could attract younger people as opposed to the old brogues

Possibly, but that in itself doesn't mean the actual footwear has evolved.

As I said above, a pair of Ecco Hydromax tour, are have just as much, if not more, technical advancements in them as a pair of Nike Lunar control.

The fact the Ecco look like a shoe, and the Nike a trainer should be neither here nor there. I've never understood the concept of trainer being modern and shoes being traditional as if the more modern option is more advanced.

D

Deleted member 15344

Possibly, but that in itself doesn't mean the actual footwear has evolved.

As I said above, a pair of Ecco Hydromax tour, are have just as much, if not more, technical advancements in them as a pair of Nike Lunar control.

The fact the Ecco look like a shoe, and the Nike a trainer should be neither here nor there. I've never understood the concept of trainer being modern and shoes being traditional as if the more modern option is more advanced.

All depends if you want to "pigeon hole" each type of footwear - I have a pair of stan smith trainers which I would call "traditional" trainers and I'm sure you can get modern shoes

I'm not a fan of the brogue type shoes hence why I think the Ecco Hydro Max look awful but some like that style

The good thing is there is choice for everyone and none could be classed as "right" or "wrong"

As for technical advancements - again different shoes have advanced different ways - the Adizeros are very very light , DNA's are stable plus many others with differing advancements.