What grip??

david1983

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all

Im new to this and heading up the driving range tonight! I had one lesson at school (10 year ago) and we were showed the grip were no fingers were over lapping (baseball bat). Is this the best one to use going forward or should I be trying to use a different one? I have been told its hard to change once you start so any help would be great

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
It can be hard to change once you start, but not immediately you start.

I'd say try it out as you were taught, and if you can hit the ball okay, then why not stick with it.

More common would be the vardon or the interlocking.

Try this website for more on each.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The base ball grip is quite useful for some one with small hands. It is more common to over lap or interlock. It is not difficult to change later, it just takes practice, which most are unwilling to do. It is more important in my view to get the grip neutral, rather than worry about the style of grip at this stage.

Could be wrong though.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In terms of grip, stance, posture etc. I was always told to copy what the guys on the tour do (as far as you can) - they're the best in the world, so they do the things they do for a reason.

In terms of how they hold it, as far as I can tell it's pretty much either the Vardon or the interlock. I don't know how many, if any, use the baseball grip but I'd be surprised if it was anything other than an absolute minority.

I started out interlocking but, when I got back into playing, I switched to the Vardon. There wasn't really a reason for the change but I've tried to go back and it just feels wrong.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I learnt to play using an interlock grip but arthritis in my hands resulted in my fingers esp little one getting quite sore and swollen by end of round.
I swapped to baseball grip as it took the pressure of the soreest fingers. Hated it at first as my two hands didn't feel secured to each other enough. Several years on, still using baseball grip and quite happy with it.

I think I didn't try the vardon as at the time it was still too painful for my hands

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I started off last year with a baseball grip when I took up the game. After 8 months I started hooking everything for some reason so had my first lesson with my pro. He changed my grip to a Vardon grip. For 2 months I went through hell with every bad shot you could imagine and really wanted to change back to the baseball grip but stuck with the Vardon. I think it has definetly helped me with control and have gone from shooting high 90's to 80's the last month or so. Its not all the grip obviously but I feel it has given me more control and more feel with my shots.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I say invest some time with a proper grip.

Interlocking or classic Vardon, doesn't matter really.